how to stop my 11week old ferret from biteing

Kits play bite a lot as they are teething and always wanting to taste everything. My kit play bites me all the time but I don't mind. If he bites to hard I squeak very loud and say no. he stops and he try's his best not to bite hard but I know he gets carried away when he's playing. I always wash my hands before I pick him up, so my hands don't smell like food. And I always let him run about the house and play first. Then I give him some food, then I pick him up. But I still get lots of play bites , but after all he's only a kit :D

as every else says just keep handling it and it'll stop a big stray hob turned up in my garden a few months back never seen a ferret as wild and when that bit you knew about it,it took a few wks of handleing it but it paid off and he's soft as shit now but i agree with stealthy you shud get your's a mate :thumbs:

hi i also have 2 new kits but they are only 8 weeks old and they dont bite after a weeks handling, i usually flick them on the nose when they bite, offer them a knuckle as this does not hurt as much he will soon realise you are not food thumbs.gif

Thats me had my two kits just over a fortnight and they seem to have stopped bitting already just by pushing my finger into ther mouths , even rolling them about and scratching there bellies ther not mouthing anymore .they just stiffen up when i clap them while there feeding on rabbit so i guess the next step will be to take them off it and see how they react

what age do you think he/she will stop biten at mate ?

It will be so much happier with a second kit - it's behavior would also improve. Most ferrets are highly social and it's really a bit cruel keeping them a lone. Two take up the same space and don't eat that much more. Really would get another mate.

what age do you think he/she will stop biten at mate ?

It will be so much happier with a second kit - it's behavior would also improve. Most ferrets are highly social and it's really a bit cruel keeping them a lone. Two take up the same space and don't eat that much more. Really would get another mate.

i agree,

Make sure its well fed with meat. Let it run about where you can keep an eye onnit.

Get some ferretone or some malte paste, put it on your hand. If he goes to bite say no, offer again

and repeat if he bites(use fist if your nervous as he wont be able to get hold). Also stroke him while hes having the tone/paste, he will soon associate hands with good things.

I would leave him another day or so, hes still settling in everything is new to him.

Edited by joe14