Best terrier?

I'm looking for a working terrier to do some ratting, rabbiting and flush out the occasional fox. The main duties will be rabbiting on my new 140 acre permission but I'd rather go for something versatile.

Having done a lot of research I'm torn between a Patterdale and a Patterdale/JRT. I already have a collie(spayed) bitch and an Old English (intact) Dog who do a very good job of guarding my farm so I'm going to get a bitch terrier (to save on the inevitable scrapping).

What I need to know is:-

Am I better going for a stocky terrier or will size become an issue underground?

Do I have to get a pup with working parents or is hunting a natural instinct for these breeds?

I'd like to keep her as a pet as well, is it a case of working dog OR pet or can the two roles mix? (I do have an outdoor run so not an issue)

Any other advice? Is there a better dog/combination for my needs? I'm open to suggestions

Would I be better working a team of two?

Thanks,

Sam

its each to there own.get a pup off working parents pal.you know what you want,so go with that :thumbs:

Well I've been offered one with non-working parents and its a lot cheaper... I want a good worker but I'm a Yorkshireman, if I can get it cheaper and it'll do the same job then that's good enough for me :good:

i dont know about a terrier for ratting rabbiting ad flushing the occasional fox pal,i keep my terriers well away from rabbit if you let a terrier hunt rabbit all the time then encourage it to go to ground for fox it wont be long till its in every rabbit sett it finds and if your dogs working thick brambles etc and goes to ground where you cannot see exactly where it has gone can be a pain in the arse you will probably end up digging every rabbit burrow in your 140 acres,if you are stuck on a terrier for this job make sure you get a locator and collar for it,and i would strongly suggest you obtain a pup from a decent working line or from worker to worker,the decent dog men will sell you a pup for far less than from pet stock,if i had a spare pup i would give you one chap

regards hedz

i dont know about a terrier for ratting rabbiting ad flushing the occasional fox pal,i keep my terriers well away from rabbit if you let a terrier hunt rabbit all the time then encourage it to go to ground for fox it wont be long till its in every rabbit sett it finds and if your dogs working thick brambles etc and goes to ground where you cannot see exactly where it has gone can be a pain in the arse you will probably end up digging every rabbit burrow in your 140 acres,if you are stuck on a terrier for this job make sure you get a locator and collar for it,and i would strongly suggest you obtain a pup from a decent working line or from worker to worker,the decent dog men will sell you a pup for far less than from pet stock,if i had a spare pup i would give you one chap

regards hedz

Thanks,

That's sound advice! Maybe I'm expecting too much from one dog then. I think I'm going to try and find someone who works terriers in my area of North Yorkshire and ask if I can come along, see what I should be expecting of a dog and make a decision from there.

Guest it's all my land after 12

I'm looking for a working terrier to do some ratting, rabbiting and flush out the occasional fox. The main duties will be rabbiting on my new 140 acre permission but I'd rather go for something versatile.

Having done a lot of research I'm torn between a Patterdale and a Patterdale/JRT. I already have a collie(spayed) bitch and an Old English (intact) Dog who do a very good job of guarding my farm so I'm going to get a bitch terrier (to save on the inevitable scrapping).

What I need to know is:-

Am I better going for a stocky terrier or will size become an issue underground?

Do I have to get a pup with working parents or is hunting a natural instinct for these breeds?

I'd like to keep her as a pet as well, is it a case of working dog OR pet or can the two roles mix? (I do have an outdoor run so not an issue)

Any other advice? Is there a better dog/combination for my needs? I'm open to suggestions

Would I be better working a team of two?

Thanks,

Sam

have a look on the 'for sale' page here .... terrier pups ... patterdale x russel X russel details on post .... they work cover etc ... he's struggling

to shift them .... and not keeping one himself now.... SO... selling his one to you (cheaper) will be a bonus for him ... he in a WIN / WIN position.

Guest deerhound hunter

its ahard to get a terrier to fix it self on 1 prey if you want a dog for ground work keep it away from rabbitts ,you can let have rats cos that just toughing it up but like som 1 already said you be digging every hole up on your land....atb...dh