Mossberg 410 Hushpower

Hi all,

I've been using the Mossberg 410 Hushpower for a couple of years now on my "less rural" areas for pest control and have always used the Eley susonic load cartridges. However, I started to have second thoughts about them towards the end of the season and was wondering what the rest of you use? :hmm:

I prefer the lyalvale express myself,14g no6s,plastic wad.....perfect for the pump.... :)

I'd been told not to use plastic wad with the hushpower, as they may foul the barrel, being a lazy sod, I did'nt want to check after each shot, so have you never had probs?

I ask as I have a few boxes sitting on the shelf (given by a friend)

I use sub sonics on the noise issue permission, on others though I use the eley 75mm extra long, not a great deal noisier

Cheers,do you finf much difference in performance between the two?

I use sub sonics on the noise issue permission, on others though I use the eley 75mm extra long, not a great deal noisier

Cheers,do you finf much difference in performance between the two?

none what so ever, apart from the noise, subs being so much less noise, although I only really use it for humaine fox dispatch in live catch traps

stubby....,you are right,they do reccomend using a fibre wad....i have never been a fan of eley cartridges though and so started to look round for something that was suitable for use in the moderated 410,with most that were available i found the load to be to light,others were simply too expensive (up to £6.50 per box)Now... i saw an article a while back about lamping from a quad,the cartridges being used in this feature were the lyalvale ones so i thought id give them a try....there perfect...good quality and reasonably priced.I have friends that have put up to 12000 cartridges per year through theres with no problems and i havent (as yet) had any trouble either.atb

stubby....,you are right,they do reccomend using a fibre wad....i have never been a fan of eley cartridges though and so started to look round for something that was suitable for use in the moderated 410,with most that were available i found the load to be to light,others were simply too expensive (up to £6.50 per box)Now... i saw an article a while back about lamping from a quad,the cartridges being used in this feature were the lyalvale ones so i thought id give them a try....there perfect...good quality and reasonably priced.I have friends that have put up to 12000 cartridges per year through theres with no problems and i havent (as yet) had any trouble either.atb

on that note, I'll try a box through it then

I am a relative newomer to moderated shotguns having bought my 12gauge baikal single shot fully hushpowered gun at the beginning of the month.

The purchase of this was a long and well thought out decision involving a couple of phone calls to hushpower @ The saddlery and gunroom.....i was initially going for the pump action, but when told the noise reduction was even further with the fully moderated single shot i went for that......i also asked about using plastic wadded carts as i have a couple of hundred in various heavy loads that i would be using......the advise was that the gun will handle any carts that its chambered for....but the plastic wadding can get caught in teh holes drilled along the barrel.....so to check between each shot to ensure the barrel aint obstructed (another reason i didn't opt for the pump (the third being it was dearer))

anyway the first few boxes of hushpower carts i bought had plastic wads....(eley make them ) after firing about a dozen i could hear something in teh moderator?

I stripped and cleaned the gun including taking the outer sleeve off and it was the petal parts of the plastic wads, 3 in total....

I then ordered and bought 250 carts the same as the first hushpower carts from eley but with felt wads.....they dont leave anything inside the moderator after use!

I have also test fired it with heavy cartridges upto SG all with plastic wads and it handles them all superbly including reducing the recoil with teh moderator......standard carts are only slightly noisier than the subsonic hushpower carts through my gun

If using plastic wads check to make sure teh barrels clear and remove the mod after each session and shake the bits of plastic out....

I am well happy with my gun and although having only used it a couple of times can see its advantages and use.....

In 12gauge mine eats all cartridges, you just have to remove the plastic petals from teh mod after each session

I am a relative newomer to moderated shotguns having bought my 12gauge baikal single shot fully hushpowered gun at the beginning of the month.

The purchase of this was a long and well thought out decision involving a couple of phone calls to hushpower @ The saddlery and gunroom.....i was initially going for the pump action, but when told the noise reduction was even further with the fully moderated single shot i went for that......i also asked about using plastic wadded carts as i have a couple of hundred in various heavy loads that i would be using......the advise was that the gun will handle any carts that its chambered for....but the plastic wadding can get caught in teh holes drilled along the barrel.....so to check between each shot to ensure the barrel aint obstructed (another reason i didn't opt for the pump (the third being it was dearer))

anyway the first few boxes of hushpower carts i bought had plastic wads....(eley make them ) after firing about a dozen i could hear something in teh moderator?

I stripped and cleaned the gun including taking the outer sleeve off and it was the petal parts of the plastic wads, 3 in total....

I then ordered and bought 250 carts the same as the first hushpower carts from eley but with felt wads.....they dont leave anything inside the moderator after use!

I have also test fired it with heavy cartridges upto SG all with plastic wads and it handles them all superbly including reducing the recoil with teh moderator......standard carts are only slightly noisier than the subsonic hushpower carts through my gun

If using plastic wads check to make sure teh barrels clear and remove the mod after each session and shake the bits of plastic out....

I am well happy with my gun and although having only used it a couple of times can see its advantages and use.....

In 12gauge mine eats all cartridges, you just have to remove the plastic petals from teh mod after each session

Cheers Compo :thumbs:

Ive tried the 3inch eley subs and non sub`s in my mossberg hushpower 410. Both fibre. The subs are definately quieter when you stand a distance away from firing the gun. The non-subs seem to have more kick however.

A lot of people swear by normal 2 1/2 .410 cartridges, rather than the 3inch ones, but i havent tried them so cant comment.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the York Guns Stealth and have tried all the eleys, the FourTen 2", FourLong 2.5" and 3" subsonic. The 2.5" FourLong are the quietest, wasn't expecting that. So that is what I use in the no. 5 shot size.

Edited by subwoofer