PROBLEM WITH MY PUP

alright lads....went out with the shotgun this evening to shoot a rabbit for my pup so he can get the feel of them and do a bit of retreving with it...shot the rabbit got straight back home to the pup...

problem is that the pup had no intrest in the rabbit at all, he just smelled it and licked it for a few seconds then went about his buisness...never took it in his mouth once or showed any intrest in it...it the same when out for a walk if a rabbit gets up he does not chase it he just looks at it running away...

how can i get the pup intrested or is it a lost cause????

is it possible that i have made to much of a pet out of him to hunt??

if you have any advice to give me it would be greatly appreciated as im not sure what to do...

the pup is nearly 9 months old...

thanks for reading

atb craig

paunch it and wave it around under his nose shaking it he'll soon get the game :thumbs:

was trying that alright but still wasnt intrested....let the pet dogs have a go and they shook the shite out of it but the one i want to hunt wasnt intrested.....thanks anyway mate :thumbs:

The dog would be better with you tyhan the shot gun the dog enjoys the chase,then with a bit of luck all will fall into place! If you put a pole dancer infront of me im guna be like yes come on,you put a boring old granny infront of me im guna turn my nose a dead bunny is useless in some cases,some dogs wont touch after a kill!

alright lads....went out with the shotgun this evening to shoot a rabbit for my pup so he can get the feel of them and do a bit of retreving with it...shot the rabbit got straight back home to the pup...

problem is that the pup had no intrest in the rabbit at all, he just smelled it and licked it for a few seconds then went about his buisness...never took it in his mouth once or showed any intrest in it...it the same when out for a walk if a rabbit gets up he does not chase it he just looks at it running away...

if you have any advice to give me it would be greatly appreciated as im not sure what to do...

thanks for reading

atb craig

dont worry yourself bout it, craig, he's just not ready, bide your time, he'll come good, its the movement of prey that motivates the chase, dead rabbits dont do it, Have a certain word or sound to use for sending the dog like in a retrieve , he'll figure it out, seen pics of him on here , he certainly looks the part, best of luck,,

Edited by Casso

The dog would be better with you tyhan the shot gun the dog enjoys the chase,then with a bit of luck all will fall into place! If you put a pole dancer infront of me im guna be like yes come on,you put a boring old granny infront of me im guna turn my nose a dead bunny is useless in some cases,some dogs wont touch after a kill!

thats the problem mate...the dog does not chase when one gets up in the day time while out walking so i tought i would shoot one for him to try get him intrested but no luck...cheers mate :thumbs:

thanks for reading

atb craig

dont worry yourself bout it, craig, he's just not ready, bide your time, he'll come good, its the movement of prey that motivates the chase, dead rabbits dont do it, Have a certain word or sound to use for sending the dog like in a retrieve , he'll figure it out, seen pics of him on here , he certainly looks the part, best of luck,,

il try that mate...hopefully he will come good for me...nice looking pup alrite...thanks for the info mate :victory:

Guest fence_hopper

plenty of time mate you have a chance of ruining him, just use a ball make it a game dont over do it as pups tend to loose concentration and get bored with doing the same thing over and over. he will bring them back on the lamp buy himself might muck about when he has his first few but the light will flick on as he gets more experience.

good luck al

plenty of time mate you have a chance of ruining him, just use a ball make it a game dont over do it as pups tend to loose concentration and get bored with doing the same thing over and over. he will bring them back on the lamp buy himself might muck about when he has his first few but the light will flick on as he gets more experience.

good luck al

sounds like a good idea to leave him for a while alright..il give him a try in another couple of months...thanks fence hopper :thumbs: