Salmon Fishing on the Aberdeenshire Dee

I was delivering waders I had repaired back to a casting / angling instructor, who is fishing Little Blackhall on the Dee this week.

He encouraged me to have a wee cast in the Roe Pot, a famous pool i have wanted to fish for some time. The rain was pouring down but after coming out from the city i thought a cast would be very pleasant. The river was low but the colour of the Dee Dram.

I took a size 12 cascade out of the box (well you would) and threw a floating line with an intermediate tip down my bank to get the line out. Then threw it out off the top jetty to just above the boil at the top of the pool. As usual i immediately hooked the rock, and lifted to pull the fly free, however the rock was having none of it and took off down stream!

A fine tussle ensued, with the fish taking line off upstream and then doggedly fighting in among the rocks. I phoned the Instructor, telling him i had a fish on and thanking him for the cast, he was just finished his meal so was on his way!

i decided the best course of action now was to knock my net off the jetty into the river, and then immediately decided this was a bad idea. However the fish, feeling pity on me allowed me to lead it into the shallows, to be carefully hand tailed. I unhooked it in the water and, so Alan would believe me took a quick picture on the bank.

Unfortunately, as i did this, just after clicking the button, the fish jumped, knocking said camera / Blackberry into the water as well. Nothing would dampen my delight however.

I cradled the fish under water, carefully taking it back into the stream to be released. Just as i reached the end of the jetty a toot behind me alerted me to the instructor and a car load of anglers, eager to share my enjoyment (jammy bastared!) as i returned the fish.

Two quick photos and a hand shake and it was off, to more crys of jammy XXXX??%*

SDC16927.jpg

As for my waders, they were dry, Unlike my heid and jumper!

www.wader-repair.co.uk

Edited by DIVERD
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

thats one of the best looking salmon ive seen its shaped like a torpeodo all pointed nose and stuff its what i call a proper salmon aint caught a one like that in years! freash clean bigger but none looking like so! Well done!

thats one of the best looking salmon ive seen its shaped like a torpeodo all pointed nose and stuff its what i call a proper salmon aint caught a one like that in years! freash clean bigger but none looking like so! Well done!

This is the best looking one i have had, it is a february Dee springer, caught at park on a brass willie gun fly.

It put up a trememdous battle, and is what a springer should look like. It weighed about 15lbs.

DSC02176.jpg

It was covered in sea lice so had come off the tide that day. The Ghillie had worked out that the fish would arrive off the tide and in our beat at 1130 and the fish was hooked at 11.25, so it had been speeding!

DSC02174.jpg

neither photo is particularly good but it gives the idea of th fishes quality, it was a cracker.Hopefully it went on to sucessfully spawn the following November!

Dave

www.wader-repair.co.uk

You dont seenmmany salmon with pointed snout and looking like a striod king,where i fish we also have the tide but it comes into the pool on the river we fish,the fish there have long tailed lice on them basically still salt water fish blue bars of silver hard to keep up with they are so fit! But this here is special!

I was delivering waders I had repaired back to a casting / angling instructor, who is fishing Little Blackhall on the Dee this week.

He encouraged me to have a wee cast in the Roe Pot, a famous pool i have wanted to fish for some time. The rain was pouring down but after coming out from the city i thought a cast would be very pleasant. The river was low but the colour of the Dee Dram.

I took a size 12 cascade out of the box (well you would) and threw a floating line with an intermediate tip down my bank to get the line out. Then threw it out off the top jetty to just above the boil at the top of the pool. As usual i immediately hooked the rock, and lifted to pull the fly free, however the rock was having none of it and took off down stream!

A fine tussle ensued, with the fish taking line off upstream and then doggedly fighting in among the rocks. I phoned the Instructor, telling him i had a fish on and thanking him for the cast, he was just finished his meal so was on his way!

i decided the best course of action now was to knock my net off the jetty into the river, and then immediately decided this was a bad idea. However the fish, feeling pity on me allowed me to lead it into the shallows, to be carefully hand tailed. I unhooked it in the water and, so Alan would believe me took a quick picture on the bank.

Unfortunately, as i did this, just after clicking the button, the fish jumped, knocking said camera / Blackberry into the water as well. Nothing would dampen my delight however.

I cradled the fish under water, carefully taking it back into the stream to be released. Just as i reached the end of the jetty a toot behind me alerted me to the instructor and a car load of anglers, eager to share my enjoyment (jammy bastared!) as i returned the fish.

Two quick photos and a hand shake and it was off, to more crys of jammy XXXX??%*

SDC16927.jpg

www.wader-repair.co.uk

Nice salmon. Really good pics. Sea bright.

cheers,

Edited by dwolf

Two quick photos and a hand shake and it was off, to more cry’s of jammy XXXX??%*

SDC16927.jpg

www.wader-repair.co.uk

Great story, well written mate, felt the experience with you lol.... lovely fish, wish it was me. :thumbs: The Dee and the Don are still producing nice fish unlike a lot of top Scottish rivers unfortunately.