• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Roberto starting late summer (depending on weather) a few miles a day, increasing every few days (depending on how they are responding, looking, acting, feet etc). So say I start September 1 at 2 mil

Posted Images

Guest deerhound hunter

DH i reckon your dogs will be muscle bound come the season doing 25 miles my dad had a whippet of someone a few years back and it looked the part but could not run to save her life used to gramp up :thumbs:

Pp i only do this on the off season ,and like i said over space of time ,normally we go out for the day and we have quite a few stops,theirs been times when i,ve been out with the terriers and the longdogs and i,ve walk that ,i no what your saying but i,ve doing this for years and has,nt mess up my season....atb....dh :thumbs:

at the peak of getting ours fit for the season they are doing 20-25 a night, but we have different dogs and different ground than you guys do.

Tiff, is that 25 mile you do with yr dogs ?? it seems a hell off a long way to jog a dog ????

yea its good if the dog will stay at the side of you but if you have to hold the dog on a lead be very carefull that the dog dont spot a cat years ago my dads mate got killed when his dog pulled after a cat and dads mate (jimmy hill) from ludlow ended up under a lorry R.I.P. JIM :(

he was'nt hit by a lorry mate, and his dogs never saw a cat. he was taking his greyhounds out on his push bike and a car hit him.

should be about owner fitness aswell after goin to local show all owners look like they havent left the sofa lol

haha same here lol,love going on a trek then on way back go to the local lake and let the dogs have a swim about its great for there fittness

Roberto starting late summer (depending on weather) a few miles a day, increasing every few days (depending on how they are responding, looking, acting, feet etc). So say I start September 1 at 2 miles, by October 1 I would estimate I'd be at about 10 miles. From there we are ramping up the mileage more quickly, so by the 15'th they'd be at that 20 mark. Around here crops come down (weather depending of course) sometime in October, which is why we are in close contact with the farmers to make sure we aren't taken by surprise with unfit dogs. The dogs we haven't conditioned like that in the past haven't lasted a hard days running or nights lamping, and nothing is worse than having to come all the way back to the house to switch dogs or be forced into an early night back. Kye and another ginger limey twat he kicks around with for a few months a year ( :bye: hi Ratkilla :bye: ) had them out one night, did something like 23 miles and then lamped coon on the way back to the house. That is what we aim for, a dog that is so well conditioned that its tongue is back in its head after a few minutes, ready for the next task. Now the 2 SalukiX's I have on the yard right now do not have to be conditioned like that, sometimes I think I could trot them for a few days and they'd be ready to go (even though obviously I don't do that). But the Staghounds are a different cookie altogether, if they aren't ready to rock at the peak of season they will be sitting in kennels recouperating. This is what has worked for us, the large distances covered, pretty sizable number and variety of game, the most importantly the lack of injuries and dead dogs is all that matters to us.

• Like 1

yea its good if the dog will stay at the side of you but if you have to hold the dog on a lead be very carefull that the dog dont spot a cat years ago my dads mate got killed when his dog pulled after a cat and dads mate (jimmy hill) from ludlow ended up under a lorry R.I.P. JIM :(

he was'nt hit by a lorry mate, and his dogs never saw a cat. he was taking his greyhounds out on his push bike and a car hit him.

my oppologise trigger your right just checked with my dad i was only a young lad when i herd him telling my mom :thumbs:

I always take mine at the side of the bike, always take them for a walk over the field near miine first though so they can have an empty and a stretch. I do this in the morning then just take them for a walk in the evening, this way they've had a rest just incase the wind picks up at night.

my oppologise trigger your right just checked with my dad i was only a young lad when i herd him telling my mom :thumbs:

no problem :thumbs:

Roberto starting late summer (depending on weather) a few miles a day, increasing every few days (depending on how they are responding, looking, acting, feet etc). So say I start September 1 at 2 miles, by October 1 I would estimate I'd be at about 10 miles. From there we are ramping up the mileage more quickly, so by the 15'th they'd be at that 20 mark. Around here crops come down (weather depending of course) sometime in October, which is why we are in close contact with the farmers to make sure we aren't taken by surprise with unfit dogs. The dogs we haven't conditioned like that in the past haven't lasted a hard days running or nights lamping, and nothing is worse than having to come all the way back to the house to switch dogs or be forced into an early night back. Kye and another ginger limey twat he kicks around with for a few months a year ( :bye: hi Ratkilla :bye: ) had them out one night, did something like 23 miles and then lamped coon on the way back to the house. That is what we aim for, a dog that is so well conditioned that its tongue is back in its head after a few minutes, ready for the next task. Now the 2 SalukiX's I have on the yard right now do not have to be conditioned like that, sometimes I think I could trot them for a few days and they'd be ready to go (even though obviously I don't do that). But the Staghounds are a different cookie altogether, if they aren't ready to rock at the peak of season they will be sitting in kennels recouperating. This is what has worked for us, the large distances covered, pretty sizable number and variety of game, the most importantly the lack of injuries and dead dogs is all that matters to us.

Good read that mate , , could i ask you what you feed your dogs on cheers Tiff , all the best Roberto :victory:

when I was competing with my dogs in dogsports and lived in the city I used to feed a top of the line (i.e. expensive as f**k) food called Eukanuba (I think you guys have it there). 40 bucks per 40 pound bag, but I was making good money then and I didn't care, it was easy and I didn't know better. Then when I met and married Kye he thought I was absolutely crazy for not feeding flesh, we started feeding partial flesh partial kibble, and then we moved rural which is SO much easier to get flesh, fats etc so I converted everyone completely over to a flesh/fats/veg/grain diet (with help from Socks and some others too).

During the season we actually run into problems with not having enough drop freezers for what we kill/pick up, which is a pretty good problem to have, and we feed the dogs everything but coon, skunk and opossum. The ratios we feed are about 55% flesh (normally venison which is super lean), 15% good quality kibble (which is better than rice for absorbing the water we add), 15% fats and 15% steamed vegetable (cabbage, beets and spinach normally but I'll feed the just about anything more for my own variety and curiosty than anything). We have chickens so I add egg yolks because I am always on a diet and eat whites only :laugh: and some water. Hot water if its cold outside. When they are being run hard hard hard and its cold they get an extra fat meal at night to help them over the hump. Normally they eat in the mornings only except again when they need the extra help they get it in the evening when they come back from lamping or in from digging. The little 24" 45lb salukiX Tia is the hardest to keep weight on, she eats (no joke) the same amount as big 30" 75lb Tor. Even in the off season I feed her twice a day which seems to help.

But I confess right now we are feeding a kibble we get from our local farmers cooperative that the dogs are doing suprisingly well on. The working dogs get the GoldNKennel (27% protein 17% fat), pet dogs get GoldNRich (21% protein 8% fat), pups obviously get the GoldNPuppy (32% protein 20% fat). The 50 pound bags cost between 16-21$ depending on what the feed costs are and what type and how much you are buying. Obviously a well balanced flesh diet is preferable, but this feed comes in a close second.

Stabs I walk about 3 times a day a couple of miles each with the dogs, and when no one could possibly see me, yes, I admit I jog a bit :laugh: But in my defense #1 I am really uncoordinated and #2 I did have knee surgery that I am supposed to be taking it easy on that knee. But I do plan on stepping up the pace a bit when I am cleared :toast: