mating jills

just wondered if you have to line jills,my jill has been in season a while but i dont want kits and dont no anybody else with ferrets,i used to ferret when i was young,many moons ago and bought my jill,slim last year shes been great this season and if they wont bolt she comes out as shes only small and has never even tried to nip me even when fired up working,any advice please atb

your going to get both types of answers, those saying yes, get her sorted, and of course no, just leave her be

I think its a bit of an old wives tale, that "they will die" probably came about when ferts were kept in dark danky cages and infection found a way in via a swollen vulva

Ive left jills in season, without ill effect in daily cleaned out cages,

well i use a snipped hob ive never actually just left them to come out of season themselfs but why take the chance of an infection.my view is if you aint breeding the jill get it out of season as soon as you can.in all probability it wont die,but if you do leave it, do as stubby says make sure she aint running around in filthy shavings.

They dont nessecarly die everytime they are just at a high risk of infection and aneamia i wouldnt risk that with my ferrets.

They dont have to be bred but you can get a hormone injection from a vet or mate the jill to a hob ferret that been vasectomised or you could get it spayed.

Or you could just take the risk.

your going to get both types of answers, those saying yes, get her sorted, and of course no, just leave her be

I think its a bit of an old wives tale, that "they will die" probably came about when ferts were kept in dark danky cages and infection found a way in via a swollen vulva

thanks for reply got a book by simon whitehead didnt really say what to do,maybe next year and il keep one thanks again i clean her cage twice a week and shes in good nick shiney full of beans etc,so il leave her vitue for now lol

thanks for reply got a book by simon whitehead didnt really say what to do,maybe next year and il keep one thanks again i clean her cage twice a week and shes in good nick shiney full of beans etc,so il leave her vitue for now lol

well if your gonna take the chance i would clean it out more than twice a week.she gets an infection and its bye bye jill

well if your gonna take the chance i would clean it out more than twice a week.she gets an infection and its bye bye jill

cheers il try ringing the vet about a hormone jab or a vasectomised hob,i dont know anybody with ferrets so il try an add on here for one,cheers,its always best to ask as im just learning with ferrets used to have them 30 years ago,but its changed alot since then,atb

A friend of mine picked up a stray jill resently, who was well in season and very ill, she was so anemic even her ears had gone pale. She was jill jabbed and was well on the mend 24 hours later.

I'd personaly would jab her, but would never leave one.