Beehive in the garden

Bumble Bees have decided that the bird box would be a great place to set up home, and its great watching them buzz in and out all day, they havnt caused us any bother at all being there so we aren't really worried about them. I have a question though, that I'm hoping someone can answer, quite often one will just crawl out of the hole and fall to the floor, I keep finding them either dead or very weak and on their way out, is this normal or is it something to worry about, virus', parasites etc...

Cheers.

think if the tempeture drops under a certain degree they fall into a dormant state ,if its cold days when you see this ,then this is proberbly why . ive got bumble bee,s in my wall caverty and have opted to leave them as long as they dont start stinging everyone but havnt seen any on the floor though :thumbs:

We found two wasp nests and a bee hive in a shed at work and they had to call in the environmental health as the wasps are up in the rafters and the bees could be protected

think if the tempeture drops under a certain degree they fall into a dormant state ,if its cold days when you see this ,then this is proberbly why . ive got bumble bee,s in my wall caverty and have opted to leave them as long as they dont start stinging everyone but havnt seen any on the floor though :thumbs:

Nope, even when the weather was good they were doing it, its a couple of bees a day doing it, just looked out now and theres one crawling on the floor, and its a hot day today.

pm the member beechris, he has around 20 plus hives, he'll give you the best answer :thumbs:

Cheers, will do.

Just went and checked the one that was crawling on the floor, its quite active, just can't fly. It tried to sting me but I didn't notice a sting sticking our of its arse. But maybe it could be a male/female, which ever one doesn't have the sting?

Just went and checked the one that was crawling on the floor, its quite active, just can't fly. It tried to sting me but I didn't notice a sting sticking our of its arse. But maybe it could be a male/female, which ever one doesn't have the sting?

i seen somewhere that they are importing queens into the country to keep the bumble bee,s going as alot are dieing from some sort of parasite ,maybe this is whats up with your nest .i believe its the queen were the fault lie,s .mine is getting very active now just hope it dosnt get out of hand by the end of summer .

a few pics for you look at last pic at all the pollen he,s collected :)

DSCF4344.jpg

DSCF4343.jpg

DSCF4329.jpg

DSCF4354.jpg

We found two wasp nests and a bee hive in a shed at work and they had to call in the environmental health as the wasps are up in the rafters and the bees could be protected

bees are not protectced, if they are a hazard they can be treated, normally pesties will leave well alone if they are not causing trouble,

The bumble bee sting is not barbed, so if it did sting you, it wont die, just like a wasp.

Bees in general do not live long, around 6 weeks, so it could just be a case of natural death that you are seeing.

I hope thats the case anyway, It's nice having them round.