be honest now

I have not scrubbed mine for ages. Clean the mod every now and then as it fills up with crap.

when my mod gets like this i clean the whole rifle, usualy about 500 rounds. or when it gets wet it gets a full clean out.

im new to the .17 HMR and have found it to be more accurate after a clean through with a bore snake? I have found that after 20 or so rounds the snakes brass weight is a struggle to move down the barrel but once done if another pull through the brass flies down? to me that shows there is a frequent build up??? i have read that a new barrel should be 'broken in' i have just read how to do this if i dont will it affect the guns long term performance. its a stainless barreled stilrling model 1700 for anyone interested?!

had these after work earlier went out for a quick half hour, 5 out of 8 shots all to the head at 80-120 yds

023.jpg

022.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just watched a dvd that someone on here recomended, they were saying with rimfire, that the barrel should be cleaned every 100 shots, how true is this :hmm: as I've heard that some give them a clean, once in a blue moon

I clean my .22 about once a year! I don't monitor the volume of shots, and I only use subsonic, but when I clean it I do a Cornish 'Proper

Job'.

No beastly boresnakes in my house, a proper cleaning rod and a bore guide for the rod, Remington Bore cleaner, wire brush, and swabbed with

patches until they come out white.

Then I fire 5 or so fouling shots into my lawn to get it right for the next time, check zero at 75 yards.

What about you?

(SAKO Finnfire Varmint, 16" barrel, SAK Mod, Leupold VX3 2,5>14x50 LRT)

AndyF

I presume you are asking after your .22lr Stubby?

Don't bother cleaning the bore. As Martin rightly pointed out, DO clean the outside.

If accuracy ever drops off I would be checking everything else first, scope, mounts, mod, blah blah.

I think I cleaned my twice when I had it, and both times I knew I'd only wreck my head doing it, and I did!

Its really up to yourself. I would recommend giving the barrel a good clean out every 50 shots or so. I own a Sako Finnfire .22lr, its a lovely wee gun that cud knock a 10 pence piece over at 75yards all day long. However when practising on paper targets I noticed the groups sizes getting bigger when the barrel got a bit dirty (usually 50+ shots). Never listen to anyone telling you to buy a boresnake, they are quite literally useless for cleaning a rifle bore. Tetra Gun make good quality cleaning gear.

Cheers

Nessie

.22 rf:

If it's a semi-auto then give the action a good clean or the rifle will stop cycling. If your using copper washed bullets, such as stingers then you will find minimal copper fouling, but will still have copper fouling to a degree. In which case you really should give the barrel a clean with copper solvent.

Obviously if the rifle gets wet, you need to clean it all over. When I fist purchased a rim fire, the guy at the club told me not to clean the barrel because rim fire barrels are made of softer steel, too much cleaning would cause more damage then too little cleaning this has stuck with me and I don't clean my rim fire barrel and have never seen a drop off in accuracy.

Center fire:

I clean my centre fire barrels religiously after shooting. The reason being copper fouling. It is my understanding that the copper cools at a different rate to the steel which results in condensation building up between the two with the inevitable effect of corrosion of the barrel. Is this true? I have no idea. I know calibres such as the .17 will lose accuracy after even 20 rounds due to copper fouling.

What I tend to find with my .243/.308, with a clean barrel the best groups are achieved after six to eight shots, I have never shot so many rounds in one go to see a major drop off with accuracy but I guess it would.

John