.243 for Reds?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...when i was stalking with John Robson...

How did you get on?

Not so well i seemed to bring rain when i am stalking we drew two blanks but there was heavy rain on the first stalk and the second was postboned only to poor down the afternoon before when it was rescheduled for :icon_eek: just my luck ah well always next time i am looking at doing some more with john but i think funds are going to be redirected to a rifle for now. But for now i am booked on some stags in summer and am looking forward to it to no end and have one stalk booked on the escrick estate at some point that i got for my birthday but i need to speak to the keeper to arrange it and also have some more stalking potential in the pipe line for later in the year if he gets some new permission sorted.

George

Well i am putting i for my first centrefire in the next day or two and i am split over what to do. I like the idea of a .243 as it allows me to have one rifle that i can get to know and have more money to spend on optics. However it would be a rifle not just used for fox and roe but Red stags come this august and fallow sept/october time with more and more deer as time goes by (i am going to have a lot of time on my hands over the next 12+ months).

So do you think a .243 is enough for the likes of reds and fallow and sika? i know that it can be done but what are your views? the other option is going for a 6.5x55 and .223 to have separate rifles for deer and fox the obvious down side being two set ups twice the cost, there or there abouts. So what do you think? How light a bullet can you go down to in a 6.5? and do any of you use a .243 on reds and the bigger stuff?

George

hi i have a 6.5x55 and it knocks deer down like they were hit with a sledge hammer :thumbs: and you can load them to a 90 grain head but i use a 140 grain

Well, that will make a change...is .243 any good for Reds??

Glad we have that sorted, and everyone here is an expert and everyone has the perfect calibre.

And yes, .243 is a great Red calibre, but if you don't get on with it and have another calibre that works for you, then that is a great Red calibre as well! :thumbs:

why use a 243 to shoot red deer when a bigger calibre is better. what i mean is your pushing what the 243 can fire by using the heavy grain bullets so why not use a calibre that can handle it more comfatably. i would go for 6.5 x 55 or a 308. i use 30-06 and its brilliant/

Glad we have that sorted, and everyone here is an expert and everyone has the perfect calibre.

And yes, .243 is a great Red calibre, but if you don't get on with it and have another calibre that works for you, then that is a great Red calibre as well! :thumbs:

In the end i decided to that i will feel i have more peace of mind with a larger caliber so i don't get nervous about being under gunned on the hill.

George

In the end i decided to that i will feel i have more peace of mind with a larger caliber so i don't get nervous about being under gunned on the hill.

George

My point entirely, if that is what works for you it is the best for the job!! :thumbs:

why use a 243 to shoot red deer when a bigger calibre is better. what i mean is your pushing what the 243 can fire by using the heavy grain bullets so why not use a calibre that can handle it more comfatably. i would go for 6.5 x 55 or a 308. i use 30-06 and its brilliant/

Emotive terms and written as fact. ......Bigger calibre is Better..... for you, so great, but not for all.

Legality aside a .22lr is perfectly capable of stopping a Red, everyone needs to find their balance and as I have already said, and many have suggested, there are a lot of views and everyone has the best, but they are different. :thumbs:

There will never be an answer everyone agrees on when calibre and Red are debated.

...when i was stalking with John Robson...

How did you get on?

Not so well i seemed to bring rain when i am stalking we drew two blanks but there was heavy rain on the first stalk and the second was postboned only to poor down the afternoon before when it was rescheduled for :icon_eek: just my luck ah well always next time i am looking at doing some more with john but i think funds are going to be redirected to a rifle for now. But for now i am booked on some stags in summer and am looking forward to it to no end and have one stalk booked on the escrick estate at some point that i got for my birthday but i need to speak to the keeper to arrange it and also have some more stalking potential in the pipe line for later in the year if he gets some new permission sorted.

George

It'll come mate, 1:10 is the recognised strike rate apparently so if you go past that, give up :clapper: .

6.5x55 SE

This round will knock reds down easily with a 140grn bullet. The Europeans used it for big game very successfully. having recently had a lecture on terminal ballistics I would choose the Swede over .308 any time; the difference in impact and energy transfer was surprising to say the least, those of us in the audience with 6.5's gave each othe a knowing look :thumbs: . If you want to go the one gun route, a 95 grn V-Max will deal with foxes very nicely. A Tikka lite with a small mod and you have a nice stalking/foxing unit.

.243 is for girls {insert smiley with helmet on}

:thumbs: swede top calibre, any bigger smash up meat .. 243 :doh: Not for 55kg + , or distance .

Edited by clint

Right the forms have gone today for .223 and 6.5x55 both with mods and 100 buy 120 hold im excited now.

George

ATB!

Thanks im just hoping i will get it back in time for the game fair :clapper:

George

Right the forms have gone today for .223 and 6.5x55 both with mods and 100 buy 120 hold im excited now.

George

ATB!

Thanks im just hoping i will get it back in time for the game fair :clapper:

George

I think you will be very lucky if you do, so just assume you will not, and IF it turns up it will be a bonus.

:thumbs::thumbs: