.243 for Reds?

Well i am putting i for my first centrefire in the next day or two and i am split over what to do. I like the idea of a .243 as it allows me to have one rifle that i can get to know and have more money to spend on optics. However it would be a rifle not just used for fox and roe but Red stags come this august and fallow sept/october time with more and more deer as time goes by (i am going to have a lot of time on my hands over the next 12+ months).

So do you think a .243 is enough for the likes of reds and fallow and sika? i know that it can be done but what are your views? the other option is going for a 6.5x55 and .223 to have separate rifles for deer and fox the obvious down side being two set ups twice the cost, there or there abouts. So what do you think? How light a bullet can you go down to in a 6.5? and do any of you use a .243 on reds and the bigger stuff?

George

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people including me do not rate the .243 for reds/fallow and sika. Fine for hinds and smaller deer but no match for a stag or buck especially in the rut. Seen a lot run off when shot by guests. A lot of keepers in scotland where i used to live use 25-06 which is spot on for stags and foxes. I use a 25-06 and wouldn't change it. Smooth to shoot and a lot of bullet choice if you load your own ammo or know someone who can. 75 grain ballistic tip bullet for foxes and 100 grain balistic tip for big deer. Some will say .308 which can be loaded up or down depending what you choose to shoot with it. Some will say .270 which i wouldn't touch even if it was given to me. Some will say the .243 is fine for stags etc etc it's up to you mate, go shoot as many different calibres as you can and make your own mind up. :thumbs:

.243 is a good round, but in my humble opinion, not heavy enough for Reds, especially in the Autumn when they are all pumped up. Yes I know a spinal shot will drop it, but if that shot doesn't present itself what then. A .243 for smaller stuff and a .308 for "heavy game", . I use a .222 for foxes etc ( ammo much cheaper) and a .308 for Deer, a bit heavy on smaller species I grant you like roe etc, but a big fallow buck or a red stag is a different proposition al together. Best of luck

There are a lot of shoots in Scotland where although .243 is legal for Red/Sika they will not allow guest shooters to use this calibre. They prefer to have people using, say, 6.5 x 55. The extra knock-down capability of the heavier calibre compensates for the possible off aim shot.

Ric.

Many people including me do not rate the .243 for reds/fallow and sika. Fine for hinds and smaller deer but no match for a stag or buck especially in the rut. Seen a lot run off when shot by guests. A lot of keepers in scotland where i used to live use 25-06 which is spot on for stags and foxes. I use a 25-06 and wouldn't change it. Smooth to shoot and a lot of bullet choice if you load your own ammo or know someone who can. 75 grain ballistic tip bullet for foxes and 100 grain balistic tip for big deer. Some will say .308 which can be loaded up or down depending what you choose to shoot with it. Some will say .270 which i wouldn't touch even if it was given to me. Some will say the .243 is fine for stags etc etc it's up to you mate, go shoot as many different calibres as you can and make your own mind up. :thumbs:

Well!

I shoot a .270 and it is a lightening rod, with 150gr bullets it will floor instantly anything that walks the UK. yes Red stags too.

I can only assume you must have endured a 'crappy' Parker Hale 'Nail' rifle with factory ammo and a 'tractor' trigger.

I have a .270 Browning A bolt Medalion, with a Leupold LPS scope and a Wildcat moderator, not a gift to anyone, but with my handloads

I can put 5 shots inside 2" at 200 yards (lasered) so if you wouldn't want that as a gift, I would like to try your gift?

AndyF

Well!

I shoot a .270 and it is a lightening rod, with 150gr bullets it will floor instantly anything that walks the UK. yes Red stags too.

I can only assume you must have endured a 'crappy' Parker Hale 'Nail' rifle with factory ammo and a 'tractor' trigger.

I have a .270 Browning A bolt Medalion, with a Leupold LPS scope and a Wildcat moderator, not a gift to anyone, but with my handloads

I can put 5 shots inside 2" at 200 yards (lasered) so if you wouldn't want that as a gift, I would like to try your gift?

AndyF

Thanks for the offer but i find them a savage round to shoot ( the worst was a featherlight .270 a mate had, ridiculous amount of kick)never again. :no: A homeloaded round may well be different but tbh i'm not in any rush to have one. I'll stick to my 25-06 ta, smooth to shoot and will knock down any deer or fox found in the UK at many ranges with the right bullet choice 8)

Well i am putting i for my first centrefire in the next day or two and i am split over what to do. I like the idea of a .243 as it allows me to have one rifle that i can get to know and have more money to spend on optics. However it would be a rifle not just used for fox and roe but Red stags come this august and fallow sept/october time with more and more deer as time goes by (i am going to have a lot of time on my hands over the next 12+ months).

So do you think a .243 is enough for the likes of reds and fallow and sika? i know that it can be done but what are your views? the other option is going for a 6.5x55 and .223 to have separate rifles for deer and fox the obvious down side being two set ups twice the cost, there or there abouts. So what do you think? How light a bullet can you go down to in a 6.5? and do any of you use a .243 on reds and the bigger stuff?

George

Hi the 243 is a good round & under estimated & more than able on our uk deer even in the rut. I had a 243 for years & have seen 1000+ deer through a larder down to this cal. Ok there are estates as said that dont allow them but fool them. Ok i dont have 1 any more as i have a 25/06 & yes it is a very good round basically a 243 on steroids.

.243 is a good round, but in my humble opinion, not heavy enough for Reds, especially in the Autumn when they are all pumped up. Yes I know a spinal shot will drop it, but if that shot doesn't present itself what then. A .243 for smaller stuff and a .308 for "heavy game", . I use a .222 for foxes etc ( ammo much cheaper) and a .308 for Deer, a bit heavy on smaller species I grant you like roe etc, but a big fallow buck or a red stag is a different proposition al together. Best of luck

What are you on about spinal shots for these shots dont kill & only paralize from POI & back & a cockup of a shot & on a red deer & about 1ft out of whare you should of hit it ie high heart low lungs. Go have a look at DCS site for shot placement & you will see whare you are meant to aim to hit the vital organs of deer & may i sugest you do so & learn & dont shoot at any more deer. Iv seen many spinaled or as i say polaxed deer & it aint nice to see them up on front legs sprackling about sick.

6.5x55 SE

This round will knock reds down easily with a 140grn bullet. The Europeans used it for big game very successfully. having recently had a lecture on terminal ballistics I would choose the Swede over .308 any time; the difference in impact and energy transfer was surprising to say the least, those of us in the audience with 6.5's gave each othe a knowing look :thumbs: . If you want to go the one gun route, a 95 grn V-Max will deal with foxes very nicely. A Tikka lite with a small mod and you have a nice stalking/foxing unit.

.243 is for girls {insert smiley with helmet on}

Edited by Treacle Trackpad

6.5x55 SE

This round will knock reds down easily with a 140grn bullet. The Europeans used it for big game very successfully. having recently had a lecture on terminal ballistics I would choose the Swede over .308 any time; the difference in impact and energy transfer was surprising to say the least, those of us in the audience with 6.5's gave each othe a knowing look :thumbs: . If you want to go the one gun route, a 95 grn V-Max will deal with foxes very nicely. A Tikka lite with a small mod and you have a nice stalking/foxing unit.

.243 is for girls {insert smiley with helmet on}

I was thinking of a T3 lite S/S :clapper:

George

However it would be a rifle not just used for fox and roe but Red stags come this august and fallow sept/october time and do any of you use a .243 on reds and the bigger stuff?

George

HI George. A lot to ask from a rifle ;)

I mainly shoot Fallow and Reds with the odd Roe. Obviously we shoot a lot of fox in Wales with all the Lambs running around.

If you can have only one rifle, then yes the .243" will do all the above. I've shot a good few Stags with the .243" but you will be slightly under gunned and range will IMHO be critical. I find Fallow harder to stalk than reds, which are very forgiving when compared to fallow.

The 6.5 is a lovely round, that said I just purchased a new .308 for the reds on open season. So to answer your question, yes & yes but the .243" is under gunned on the biggest of reds.

John

George, you're still welcome to try my Swede :gunsmilie:

Thanks for the offer but when i was stalking with John Robson i used his 6.5 and its a sako not a tikka but i like the round. I may take you up on it but i think i should be okay but thanks :thumbs: just waiting on one letter to say i have booked stalking and the varitation forms will be off, i have them filled in already and they are waiting.

George

Edited by Groach