collie X greyhounds 50/50

Guest koru

ian,as i explained to you on another site first crosses make excellent working dogs but unfortunately genuine ones off both working parents dont come along to often,thats why people tend to breed off lurcher to lurcher,as with regards types of land people work their dogs on i too run my bitch on small pasture fields she is a reverse threequarter fell collie greyhound standing at 20.5 inches tall,and as ample speed to catch rabbits,and she as a excellent strike on her,keep your options open mate and dont disregard lurcher to lurcher breeding,as there is still people out there who breed off genuine working lines.regards collie john.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if you undestand the the ways of a collie then you will have no problems with a first cross ... endless stamina bags of brains sagacity good feet weatherproof coat ...the list is endless ... as the gu

been on before on a previous thread. my two half crosses now long gone       thanks bobby.

not being funny pal but she isnt a genuine first cross collie greyhound,a genuine first cross is half collie half greyhound..regards collie john.

i have a collie 1/2 cross she is now 12 months catching a few now, but she yaps abit what should i do.

as for the collie cross stalking ive got a saluki cross that stalks had several that wouldnt,the collie line ive got are not great at stalking but are very good at catching and have speed to burn ,sid sol tyne are all saluki,crosses and walk slowly into clapped game ,lana luke colli bred lurchers never stalked but were fast of the mark and caught most small game quickly,unless tired , me personalty the bigger dogs learned to stalk as they were not as agile as lana luke who would turn on a tanner as they say , ive only seen a few top class colie bred dogs , most were home bred i maybe head down to england next week to see a few kelpie crosses ,see what they are like

For me after seeing tomo's kelpi cross run i would go for the kelpi cross, im not into dogs that stalk squatters and every collie cross iv seen does this. In my opinion kelpi crosses do everything a colli cross does but better :D They have endless stamina, brains, feet, coat and thick wrists ;) For me they are the ideal rabbiting dog.

David

whta are they like on foxes hares etc or larger qaurry whitton as rabits are only one part of a lurchers artilllery etc before the ban

I couldn't tell you mate, iv only seen the dog run rabbits but i know that if there wasnt a ban she would do the buisness on hare. ;) Look back and you will see tomos post showing that tara did 46 rabbits in a night, and she is only 15-16 months old. Obedience wise she will do anything asked of her. I havent got a clue how she would handle fox, But koru wants a dog for general obedience and lamping rabbits, you really cant go wrong with a kelpi cross. Im not saying collie cross lurchers wont do the job as i know they can and do. I stated that i would go for a kelpi cross but thats my personal prefference.

David

ye im going to see these kelpie crosses soon, so dave i can make my mind up ,if they are good ill not think twice of putting one to lana mate ,the collie types ive saw lately well i wouldnt gee them hoose room , my mate has bred quite a few but only a few have been realy tested but hopefull i shall see them ,i got luke for rabb'its, he ended not a bad all rounder i bred him to a grey come on keera and they produce great all rounders, alas luke died i bred lana to a saluk cross all right, but none turned her way ,so i going back to base blood and try and reproduce a real good un this feb,all the best

The black and white bitch is a 3/8 5/8 who has never really been worked much on the lamp but was a good daytime dog in her time finding and catching her own rabbits, the Merle is a half cross beardie/border grey and was good lamper but a bit big no world beater but would pick up bunnies and take the occasional fox if one got in the beam, the brindle bitch is also a 3/8 5/8 and is just learning the game but she is ahowing promise but a shortage of game in my area at the minute is making entering her properly hard work tbh and the black and white is the same bitch as other photo but 7 years older and semi-retired at the age of nine

all the dogs are Hancock bred and never had any bother with`em tbh

the brindle looks ahandy dog in the right place , thets more my type they need to be pacey but with guts and drive for big nights etc all the best had the collie types from 83 onwards saw a few good uns but never had the time or notion to reproduce them now im trying to get the ones i breed back but with so few good ones about very hard to see good ones etc with the ban other types in vogue etc

Guest raven_moon

Hi I have a 1st X 50% Border Collie 25% Greyhound 25% Saluki. Altough she lacks a little in speed she is still fast enough to take all legal quarry, and what she does lack in speed she makes up for in every other area. The brightest dog I have ever owned. She has just had her first litter, 9 of the little darlings they are 9 days today, put her back to a 3/4 Greyhound 1/4 Collie, cant wait to see how these turn out.

My one bit of advice with a 50% Collie is that mine took a little longer to get settled and train than my Deerhound Bedlington Greyhound Collie Wippet (BITZA) but my god was she wort it.

She is pictured in my avatar.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest raven_moon
not being funny pal but she isnt a genuine first cross collie greyhound,a genuine first cross is half collie half greyhound..regards collie john.

Yeah sorry mate the point i was trying to make was she is half collie the other half being a sighthound cross making her a 1st generation of lurcher. Know what your saying though. I'll shut up now.

Cheers

Raven