collie X greyhounds 50/50

Guest koru

I'm interested in, learning more about collie X greyhounds 50/50 .

What are the downside of these dogs if you are only interested in lamping rabbits, and obedience training.

Who is selling the best working types of this cross.

In general is the 3/8 collie 5/8 Greyhound a more useful dog in the field and does it become anybody's guess what are going to end up with when picking a puppy from this cross.

:signthankspin::signthankspin:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if you undestand the the ways of a collie then you will have no problems with a first cross ... endless stamina bags of brains sagacity good feet weatherproof coat ...the list is endless ... as the gu

been on before on a previous thread. my two half crosses now long gone       thanks bobby.

not being funny pal but she isnt a genuine first cross collie greyhound,a genuine first cross is half collie half greyhound..regards collie john.

Koru

A 3/8x5/8 has 1/8 more greyhound so on paper should be a tad faster than a 1stx.Dare I say it and I really can't be bothered to get into this age old arguement,but Hancock breeds the most level litters of 3/8 5/8 that I know of because he uses a reverse 3/4 bred stud dog to a greyhound.Therefore taking away the gamble of litter wastage.If you put a 1st x to a 3/4 to produce 3/8 5/8's you end up with a gamble as the litter will be very uneven.

In my opinion I would go for a 3/8 5/8 as it is in between a 1stx and a 3/4.You get a very nice robust type of dog that will get good at whatever you do most of,good feet,bone,stamina etc etc.

Please drop the Hancock stuff, it's been done to death.

Moorman1, have you got or had a 50-50, coupled people I spoke with have said by the third season they are picking their runs, or stalking down the beam???

You had any first-hand experience Border Terrier, with the 50-50 or 3/8 5/8???

I'm interested in, learning more about collie X greyhounds 50/50 .

What are the downside of these dogs if you are only interested in lamping rabbits, and obedience training.

Who is selling the best working types of this cross.

In general is the 3/8 collie 5/8 Greyhound a more useful dog in the field and does it become anybody's guess what are going to end up with when picking a puppy from this cross.

:signthankspin::signthankspin:

Hi I have just posted a picture of my Dogs on here you will see the pup is very racy, Alway gone for the 3/4x1/4 collie, as some times the collie side can be to head stong that is only my opinion

Hancock is a puppy farmer, there are other people who breed collie/greyhounds, first crosses 50/50 whatever you want to call them you just have to be patient and look for a good litter. there was some pups on here recently that looked like they were better bred than Hancocks stuff, he just breed for money steer clear :yes:

a 50/50 is gonna be a very hard dog to find,not many people want em,and not many are gonna breed em,if you can find somebody who has a greyhound bitch they wanna put to a collie fine but that bitch has to have the right temprament,hancock is a puppy farmer,but with a 50/50 the sire and dam are generally unproven anyway,if someone has a coursing or working greyhound bitch great,but pace will be lost and ul be counting down the days to outcrossing the pup you have already kenneled we had a good bitch years ago,shed catch rabbits all night but shed not kill em in style,hedge killing wed call it,would i breed my own 50/50 collie again,NO because id always be waiting for the bitch or dog to be old enough to be outcrossed,personally if i was gonna go for a 50/50 id use a more modern breed like a gwp or a weimeraner,theese dogs are generally leggyer and have a bit more about em for starters theyre naturall retreivers,if you do go for one good luck mate,just remember the times have moved on,personally i dont think theres anypoint the sole reason i would do it would be to start my own line,and the second outcross would be my goal not the first one!!! :signthankspin:

if you undestand the the ways of a collie then you will have no problems with a first cross ... endless stamina bags of brains sagacity good feet weatherproof coat ...the list is endless ... as the guy says he wants a dog mainly for lamping and obedience ... can you name a better cross for this ???? i cant .........

FIRST CROSS COLLIE GREY STARTING HER OBEDIENCE TRAINING ........

DSCF0466.jpg

STALK MODE ..............

DSCF0474.jpg

• Like 1

Some interesting points there, it's easy to forget we live in different parts of the country.

I will be lamping in smallish grass fields, surrounded by hedge. Like you have said its nice to see them catch them in style.

So does anybody know if anyone is running this type of across in smallish fields??????

good post garypco...i have owned 2 half crosses while they were good ferreting and lamping dogs they do lack that extra bit of speed during the day....i went out with someone that owns a kelpie x bred by dave slieght ..whippet x greyhoundxkelpie....the dog was a flying machine and had brains to spare....bobby

good post garypco...i have owned 2 half crosses while they were good ferreting and lamping dogs they do lack that extra bit of speed during the day....i went out with someone that owns a kelpie x bred by dave slieght ..whippet x greyhoundxkelpie....the dog was a flying machine and had brains to spare....bobby

IF YOU HAD A WHIPPET X GREYHOUND X COLLIE IT WOULD BE A FLYING MACHINE WITH MORE BRAINS TO BOOT ... I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ANY OF MY FIRST CROSSES CATCHING GAME ........

hi socks...it would be interesting to see how they compare i suppose dave slieght would be the man to answer that .

i doubt if he would as he is biased towards the kelpie cross for obviouse reasons .... CHALKWARREN would be the best man to answer this ............