Shivering whippets

My first dog was a whippet and i have many fond memories of him, but since him i have had lurchers. Now, my mom has a year old whippet and when stood still for more than a few mins in anything other than hot weather he shivers like he can't wait to get back home. Do you find that most whippets are like this are is it just a minority (i cant remember my old one being too bad). You see in the future i was wanting a fast little catch dog,,very small fields where i hunt...but the more i see my mothers dog the more im thinking of a small lurcher instead. Something like 3/4 whippet 1/4 bed or collie/greyhound back to whippet...but then i hear you are better using a whippet than a whippet cross...what you think?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol, whippets shiver coz they are cold pal. Take one out on a hard winters morning, and your fun will be cut short... get a x mate, dont know where you have heard that a whippet is better than a whipp

Posted Images

My first dog was a whippet and i have many fond memories of him, but since him i have had lurchers. Now, my mom has a year old whippet and when stood still for more than a few mins in anything other than hot weather he shivers like he can't wait to get back home. Do you find that most whippets are like this are is it just a minority (i cant remember my old one being too bad). You see in the future i was wanting a fast little catch dog,,very small fields where i hunt...but the more i see my mothers dog the more im thinking of a small lurcher instead. Something like 3/4 whippet 1/4 bed or collie/greyhound back to whippet...but then i hear you are better using a whippet than a whippet cross...what you think?

its been done to death fella put a search on whippets you will find all you need

by the way whippets dont shiver because their cold it adrenaline they are hyper

its been done to death fella put a search on whippets you will find all you need

maybe true but the one i take out shivers be couse shes fookin frezin

lol, whippets shiver coz they are cold pal. Take one out on a hard winters morning, and your fun will be cut short... get a x mate, dont know where you have heard that a whippet is better than a whippetx..

• Like 1

:

:doh::clapper:

lol, whippets shiver coz they are cold pal. Take one out on a hard winters morning, and your fun will be cut short... get a x mate, dont know where you have heard that a whippet is better than a whippetx..

You've obviously been out with shit whippets :icon_eek:

You've obviously been out with shit whippets :icon_eek:

that needs to go on the post "classic statements on hunting life" lol

Ive got a 10mnth old whippet dog pup out of strike while the irons hot and the weather dont bother him in the slightest hes as hard as f****n nails,also had no end of bangs and cuts,it just doesnt phase him at all.Hes not a fussy eater like alot think whippet are,when i let him out in the garden when it blowing and raining for a piss,he'd rather roll about on the lawn in the wet than come in after doing his business,he's a real lively dog full of beans.....never seen him shiver.hope this helps mate

Trust me it doesn't shiver because of adrenaline, its when it stops and its windy or wet, he shivers and looks miserable because hes nesh and i can understand why. She has got a good coat for him in winter. My old whippet wasn't as nesh and was good worker of rabbits although lacked the coursing stamina for hare, he would soon tire on a up hill course. And i have heard it many a time that whippets are better than whippet lurchers....saying that you are taking away more from a good dog than adding too it. That kelpie lurcher looks well suited to the job of rabbiting. Whats it like at catching in small fields?

Trust me it doesn't shiver because of adrenaline, its when it stops and its windy or wet, he shivers and looks miserable because hes nesh and i can understand why. She has got a good coat for him in winter. My old whippet wasn't as nesh and was good worker of rabbits although lacked the coursing stamina for hare, he would soon tire on a up hill course. And i have heard it many a time that whippets are better than whippet lurchers....saying that you are taking away more from a good dog than adding too it. That kelpie lurcher looks well suited to the job of rabbiting. Whats it like at catching in small fields?

It's probably because your mums dog hasn't got the same bulk of conditioned muscle as a working whippet does. :hmm: I'd have thought a conditioned working whippet would be more efficient at keeping itself warm due to having more mass and a stronger cardiovascular system.

It's probably because your mums dog hasn't got the same bulk of conditioned muscle as a working whippet does. :hmm: I'd have thought a conditioned working whippet would be more efficient at keeping itself warm due to having more mass and a stronger cardiovascular system.

i would agree with that i have got 2 whippets one is 4 years old and has never worked more of a house pet the other is 17 months and starting to work when i take them both out the older one shivers like mad and the other one is so keen to work the weather dont seem to bother her hope this helps.