new question

Does cutting the barrel down affect accuracy ?. Are the factory 16" barrels better performers than after market adaptations ?

Was there a reason CZ settled on 20" length in the first place?

I can see that a shorter barrel would be less cumbersome with a moderator attached but are there any downsides ?

Having had my old Brno for the past 25 years I still look at her and think she looks a bit too lanky with the moderator fitted but to chop her about would be unthinkable !

The longer barrels are because of the open sights fitted. Your BRNO is super long exactly for this reason and you could cut it to 12" with no discernable difference in performance or accuracy (I chopped my BRNO to 14" and it was fantastic, wish I still had it). The 20" barrels are a throwback from the open sight length, nothing to do with performance.

I only looked into 16" as cz advertise it on their website, and therefore thought it was a standard size, have since yesterday, found another RFD thats advertising second hand 16" starting at £195 and £295, so another dilema sets in, although a new cz is as cheap as chips (most sizes) I have noticed posts explaining that they need xx amount of shots put through them, or people dry firing them at home, to get the bolt working nicely, also reports that any fitting of trigger kits makes the warrenty void, if thats the case, its makes sence to buy second hand, bolt would probably be worn in, and a trigger kit could be fitted without fear of loosing a warrenty, reports seem to say that there's not a lot that can go wrong with these rifles, plus of course, the money saved on rifle price, could then be spent on other items, mods,mags,ammunition etc

your thoughts?

You've answered all your own questions there Stubby. Go second hand, you won't be disappointed. Trigger done, bolt worked in, barrel floated, barrel fouled etc, etc. Also nine times out of ten you will get scope, mod, mounts, sling, all in on the deal.

For a .22lr, I would be happy to buy second hand, especially the likes of brno and cz. They seem to be virtually indestructible, and the nature of the ammunition means that the barrels never seem to wear out. As you say, the money saved can go towards other accessories and supplies.

I only looked into 16" as cz advertise it on their website, and therefore thought it was a standard size, have since yesterday, found another RFD thats advertising second hand 16" starting at £195 and £295, so another dilema sets in, although a new cz is as cheap as chips (most sizes) I have noticed posts explaining that they need xx amount of shots put through them, or people dry firing them at home, to get the bolt working nicely, also reports that any fitting of trigger kits makes the warrenty void, if thats the case, its makes sence to buy second hand, bolt would probably be worn in, and a trigger kit could be fitted without fear of loosing a warrenty, reports seem to say that there's not a lot that can go wrong with these rifles, plus of course, the money saved on rifle price, could then be spent on other items, mods,mags,ammunition etc

your thoughts?

I am thinking seriously of the same set up ,S, probably 2nd hand,and with the 16''

RIGHT, THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD ADVICE, second hand route is the way to go, for me anyway

ANOTHER QUESTION;, seems everything is falling into place,, a ferreting permission that Ive had for a few years, contacts me every summer asking me to ferret, I normally attend, just to keep them happy, yet even though they quote 50 plus rabbits, we normally come away with 5 or less, (summertime) I had strict instructions by the land management, that this couldent be shot over, well the lease holder got in touch with me a few days ago, again asking me to ferret, this time I said no, not until winter, but suggested lamping with rimfire, they checked with the land management and have come back with a YES

now Ive asked for another permission letter to be sent to me, stipulating lamping/.22 rimfire, but of course, have no idea if the land has been passed for this

so, is their a number that can be phoned (police data base?) to check, or do I wait until I get my ticket, and then go through my FAO, and then waiting further if the land needs checking

RIGHT, THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD ADVICE, second hand route is the way to go, for me anyway

ANOTHER QUESTION;, seems everything is falling into place,, a ferreting permission that Ive had for a few years, contacts me every summer asking me to ferret, I normally attend, just to keep them happy, yet even though they quote 50 plus rabbits, we normally come away with 5 or less, (summertime) I had strict instructions by the land management, that this couldent be shot over, well the lease holder got in touch with me a few days ago, again asking me to ferret, this time I said no, not until winter, but suggested lamping with rimfire, they checked with the land management and have come back with a YES

now Ive asked for another permission letter to be sent to me, stipulating lamping/.22 rimfire, but of course, have no idea if the land has been passed for this

so, is their a number that can be phoned (police data base?) to check, or do I wait until I get my ticket, and then go through my FAO, and then waiting further if the land needs checking

Yes, just ring your local Firearms Office and they can tell you instantly whether a piece of land has been checked and if so to what calibre.

Just a comment in regards to one of your earlier post, never dry fire a rimfire, they really don't like it. My bolt was maybe a little tight (nothing that bad really) for maybe a box or so of ammo, it's as smooth as a chocolate Leslie Phillips now though.

The trigger kit is a different issue, I bought my CZ new last Nov and the trigger was breaking about 2.5Lbs so didn't need trigger sorting as such. If you just change the spring (a 5 minute job) and then had need to return the gun, just stick the stock spring back in. It's changing the guide on one of the sear pins that is noticeable and that doesn't affect trigger pull weight, that just helps take the creep out of the trigger, which I have to say mine did suffer from. The YoDave kit sorted it and then I just sold the springs.

cheers for that, now Ive been told something, that I need to check out,

as I stated, the leaseholder of the land has given me permission, they asked the land management company that they lease the land from, if it was ok to give me shooting permission, and they ok'd it, now the land is owned by the church, and Ive been told I need the landowners (church) permission, is that right or wrong

as I stated, the leaseholder of the land has given me permission, they asked the land management company that they lease the land from, if it was ok to give me shooting permission, and they ok'd it, now the land is owned by the church, and Ive been told I need the landowners (church) permission, is that right or wrong

No one on here can answer that one for you, it depends solely on the clauses in the contract agreed between the land management company and the church. I'd "assume" that it would be in the scope of the contract as pest control would very much come under "land management" and that's what they're been paid to do... manage the land. I would further assume if the land management company have you given you permission then the terms of the contract allows them to appoint people to assist in the land management (ie pest controllers), you should be able to check this with the tenant or land management company fairly easily though.

Hope this helps.

No one on here can answer that one for you, it depends solely on the clauses in the contract agreed between the land management company and the church. I'd "assume" that it would be in the scope of the contract as pest control would very much come under "land management" and that's what they're been paid to do... manage the land. I would further assume if the land management company have you given you permission then the terms of the contract allows them to appoint people to assist in the land management (ie pest controllers), you should be able to check this with the tenant or land management company fairly easily though.

Hope this helps.

Stubby

I'm not trying to complicate this but you do not necessarily need the landowners permission, you need permission of the person/organisation with the right to give you permission. This may well be the leaseholder or the management company. :thumbs:

your thoughts?

Looks like you are doing a bit of digging, and as always when you do that a lot turns up.

CZ bolts are no issue generally on .22lr or HMR, for some reason the WMR can be, don't dwell on it, it isn't a problem.

If you change the trigger on a new rifle and it goes wrong, (which is very rare) then just put the old trigger back before you take it for repair!!

Triggers CAN be a pain, but fortunately the fix is about £10/£12 there is NOTHING that cheap in shooting that makes such a difference to a rifle.

Used, is a sensible option on a .22lr, check what warranty is offered and away you go!

Relax!!!

any CZ with a 20" barrel is going to be last stock all the CZ that Derek is bringing in to the country will be the 16",my local dealer said that the material costs are going up in price so that will go to the purchaser one of them things we all have to get on with it remember in this country we get taken for a ride on prices on every thing in the states a CZ 16" .22lr with a scope and mod are under $500 thats about £220 the moment they come here we get F :censored::censored: KED over,as was said on here you only need the permission of the land manager,CZ triggers are easy to make light and good you dont need to buy fancy kits i have 2 CZ's .22lr and HMR both triggers i stripped took the springs out ground of 2 coils used some stainless tube 3mm internal diameter fitted this over the pin that runs on the top sear both triggers run out at 1 1/2 lb also remember that if you get a 20" and have it cut down that who ever cuts it down must use a live centre in the lathe the barrels are cold hammer forged so are not always the same all the way down the barrel,if a RFD does the job he will charge you for a re proof this is only to safe guard him it is not a legal requirement to have it re proofed providing you intend to keep it and not sell it on also 12" is the least barrel length that a .22lr bullet powder burns in 16" is the best compromise as you loose no more mussle energy at this length .

paul