new question

jumping the gun a bit even before getting my FAC, but popped into a shop local to me to get some rifle prices,

now the rifle Im interested in is the cz varmint 16" barrel plus moderator

now the shop only had a 20" in stock, priced new @ £340

but quoted £420 for ordering in a 16" :blink:

why such an increase, considering your getting "less" barrel

how dear would it be to have the 20" cut down and re threaded by a gun smith,

jumping the gun a bit even before getting my FAC, but popped into a shop local to me to get some rifle prices,

now the rifle Im interested in is the cz varmint 16" barrel plus moderator

now the shop only had a 20" in stock, priced new @ £340

but quoted £420 for ordering in a 16" :blink:

why such an increase, considering your getting "less" barrel

how dear would it be to have the 20" cut down and re threaded by a gun smith,

The rifles are produced in 20" barrels so a 16" barrel is a 'special order' as it will require cutting, threading and re-proof. I'd go 2nd hand if I were you, ther are some great bargains to be had. Getting the barrel chopped yourself will vary in price depending on who is doing the work, and to be honest you get what you pay for. Prices vary from £40-80ish.

You have to remember that if you buy the long barrel and get it cut, you'll also need to pay for threading for a mod and re-proofing. Threading is about £50, plus the same again for reproof if you include the postage, and that's not counting the cost of cutting and recrowning!

I asked the same question a while back, and the explanation makes sense. They make them all as 20" barrels, and then have to cut them down.

I've always found the varmint barrel a little heavy, especially if you're moving around a lot. Shortening helps the weight, but in .22 I don't think you gain much in the way of accuracy with the heavy barrel.

Keep shopping around, I was quoted £325 for the 20" and £340 for the 16" in .22LR Silhouette (they are more expensive as explained above but worth it if you're in and out of a vehicle with it) but it could be they're letting you have the 20" at old stock prices and the 16" as it would have to be ordered would be at the new prices.... although having said that I went to one of my locals today to pick up a shotgun and they had a 16" LR in there for £395 so still worth shopping about

Edited by Colster

The 20" will be old stock which is why it is cheaper it will have been bought at the older / lower price. Everyone now just buys the 16" barrel versions of the CZ's as they are more manoeuvrable and lighter than the equivalent 20" version.

chop & thread for mod £30-35 around here.

Yeah, then add about £60 for a re-proof!

if you plan to keep the rifle i wouldnt bother getting it reproofed

so reproofing is only neccesary for selling on a rifle then,

Does cutting the barrel down affect accuracy ?. Are the factory 16" barrels better performers than after market adaptations ?

Was there a reason CZ settled on 20" length in the first place?

I can see that a shorter barrel would be less cumbersome with a moderator attached but are there any downsides ?

Having had my old Brno for the past 25 years I still look at her and think she looks a bit too lanky with the moderator fitted but to chop her about would be unthinkable !

post-13773-127621314642_thumb.jpg

Apparently the optimum iirc is 18" but 16 or 20 would be little different so not worth worrying about.

I think it's main benefit is in the handling, particularly when shooting from a vehicle

post-39657-127622425247_thumb.jpg

Edited by Colster

I only looked into 16" as cz advertise it on their website, and therefore thought it was a standard size, have since yesterday, found another RFD thats advertising second hand 16" starting at £195 and £295, so another dilema sets in, although a new cz is as cheap as chips (most sizes) I have noticed posts explaining that they need xx amount of shots put through them, or people dry firing them at home, to get the bolt working nicely, also reports that any fitting of trigger kits makes the warrenty void, if thats the case, its makes sence to buy second hand, bolt would probably be worn in, and a trigger kit could be fitted without fear of loosing a warrenty, reports seem to say that there's not a lot that can go wrong with these rifles, plus of course, the money saved on rifle price, could then be spent on other items, mods,mags,ammunition etc

your thoughts?