best magnification?

Guest bluemink

A lot depends on what you're doing. For highland stalking I'd go for a 10x, maybe higher depending on the terrain.

For lowland woodland margin stuff, 8x is more than ample.

10x and over, unless you have a very steady hand or something to rest on, you will get noticable woble. The 8x gives you a good steady image.

I use 8x for just about everything.

What are peoples opinions ion the best binocular magnifications?

The human eye cant handle much more than 7x mag that you could notic really. For lowland stuff go with 7x or 8x bin's & x42 should be ample. As said for highland stalking use 10x this is not recomended as you use a spotting scope to really look at your object over the distance & all we worked on the hill was 8x30 bin's for light weight as all we needed them for was to pick out deer etc way out then spotting scope to get a good look. Another thing to remember is the more power the bin's are the more you intensifi any shake by the power you have. If you have 10x you magnifi any shake by 10x if you get what i mean. I would recomend 8x42 or near that in any of the good makes.

Guest bluemink

The human eye cant handle much more than 7x mag that you could notic really. For lowland stuff go with 7x or 8x bin's & x42 should be ample. As said for highland stalking use 10x this is not recomended as you use a spotting scope to really look at your object over the distance & all we worked on the hill was 8x30 bin's for light weight as all we needed them for was to pick out deer etc way out then spotting scope to get a good look. Another thing to remember is the more power the bin's are the more you intensifi any shake by the power you have. If you have 10x you magnifi any shake by 10x if you get what i mean. I would recomend 8x42 or near that in any of the good makes.

cheers, which makes would you reccomend?

Depends on your budget.

Obviously, at the top end you have your Swarovski, Leika, Zeiss etc. but we're talking 4 figures there.

Come down a notch or two, and you can get decent Bushnell or the like for around the £200 mark.

I actually use a cheap pair that I picked up for £15 from a charity shop. Can't remember the make now, but I know I checked and they roll out at £75 new, and are great. While I was working on Rum I had works Swarovski's, and these £75 bins were on a par in pretty much any situation. I'll dig them out and put the make up on here.

Guest bluemink

cheers, I have a pair of carl zeiss atm but they're a bit heavy for out and about. I don't want to be spending that sort of money again though so I will have a look at bushnell :thumbs:

cheers, which makes would you reccomend?

I work a pair of leica & yes bushnell etc do very good stuff even in lowish light. I can highly recomend the Steiner optic bino's even in the lowest light & were cheapish if you had £300 to spend maybe even less for around the £250-£300 mark for 8x42 compared with the £1000 + for swarovski/leica etc now.

I has a pair of 7x42 swaro SLC's, superb bins, 7 or 8X is the best bet, coupled with a 40mm+ objective they gather enough light to still be bright in low light, and the mag is powerful enough for some pretty long range and detailed observation without getting much shake as you'd start to get with 10X

I use Opticron 10x42 HD...

They were about £300 quid about 15 years ago.. A legacy of my late father.

I cant complain about their quality, and have managed to cope with the hand shake issues just fine. But, the image is better f you can stabilise yourself with out doubt.

Matt

The brand I have are Bresser. They have their own proprietary coating called BaK-4 (Barium Potassium coating maybe? Not sure!)

Mine are 10x50 with the long eye relief. The eye piece lenses are nice and wide, and the image is superb!

I've just searched them, and these guys have them at an amazing price. (I'm nothing to do with the site, just googled and they seem like an amazing bargain, having had the chance to compare them to Swarovski's and found them to compare favourably!)

Bresses 10x50 for silly price!

Hi,

I got a great pair shipped, tax free, from Opticsplanet.com, Vortex Hurricane 8x28, For a compact pair of bins the glass is pretty fast with a very bright picture,Im very happy with them and have used various bins over the years, from cheap crap through to Bausch, Good price, good glass, compact and light, job done :)

i use a pair of Opticron 8x32 they are cracking for the money bought them at a company in Cambridge called greenwich feller in the shop said to me how much do you want to spend i had a grand in my pocket he gave me the Opticrons wow they were fantastic asked me how much i thought they were told him 5-600 quid he laughed and said under 100 quid he gave me a pair of leica bins that were 900 and i could not see where the extra money was waranted for the leica's i would not hesitate to buy any other Opticron product.

paul