FAC application

am in the process of applying for my FAC, apart from being a pestie and therefore needing a rifle for work, I presume my FAO will ask what experience Ive had with .22 rimfire, now here's the question, Ive been lamping on and off for the last 3yrs, with a .22 rimmy owned by another member and on their permission, each taking turns at driving and shooting, was that strictly legal, with me not having a license, will that show Ive used a rimfire before, or drop me in deep water

As long as the certificate holder is present and supervising you then it is not illegal, don't panic you have done nothing wrong. It is the same with the shotgun.

Quite correct. I think there's something mentioning that the occupier of the land has to be present (and has to be the one with the FAC) but I'm sure that a person who has permission to shoot over the land is treated as an occupier for these purposes in any event.

This provision was put into the 1987 amendment Act by Douglass Hogg (who was at the Home Office at the time) in order to legalise his possession of rifles whist out stalking on his mates estate. Nice to see that politicians take care of them selves first.

J.

Perfectly legal. It's called the "estate rifle" clause. Anyone (who is not a prohibited person) can carry and use a gun as long as they are supervised by the person who has the right to authorise shooting over the land, or that persons appointed agent. This includes someone who has written permission to shoot over the land. Otherwise no-one would be able to have a go at shooting without an FAC!

You are quite legal Stubby as long as he has permission and you were in his presence.

Matt is quite right about the "Estate Condition" which mentions the "occupier" can lend someone a rifle to use in his presence.

The definition which the Home Officer recommends for "occupier" is that from S.27 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

“occupierâ€, in relation to any land other than the foreshore, includes any person having any right of hunting, shooting, fishing or taking game or fish;

Source

cheers all, I had hoped that was correct, although they are taking ages to send me the forms :wallbash:

phoned last thursday, e mailed them saturday, phoned again yesterday, its always "in the post", but cant see the post being that late :hmm:

You should be able to download the forms on the net. I think they're on the BASC site, will see if I can dog out the link.

Either that or wander down to your local RFD, who should have the forms for you.

BASC download page

All police statations are also supposed to keep them. Make sure they give you 2 referee forms too.

J.

Im printer less at the moment :icon_redface:

and none of our local stations hold the full forms, just the address of the firearms dept in chelmsford, if they dont come by 2nd post today, I'll be back on the blower to the FAO :wallbash: