Does it matter what age the critters are?

I took my first fox last night. During a lamping session I came across a den and had four pairs of eyes glowing brightly back at me (mainly using a red lamp with a white one on standby). Once I was certain of my safe overshoot and that I was indeed looking at foxes, I took the cleanest shot and down it went.

After going to check it was a clean kill I found what was a young female fox. It had very soft fur and I think it is one of this year's litter (so ~10 weeks old?), however if it was it must have been well fed as it was not that small.

So this leads me to ask, if a species is a pest, does it matter what age they are when you kill them or is is it simply one less pest is best?

Also in this situation, as I had several foxes looking at my red lamp, if I had been able to identify the vixen or dog fox would it have been better to take either of them (and therefore leave the cubs to struggle with food) or is it better to take the cubs first?

I have started this topic talking specifically about foxes because of my experience last night which started me thinking and I would like some other opinions, however the topic is a general one as last night I also took several rabbits, many of which were also very young, but this didn't even cross my mind as something to worry about. It may be that this difference is due to the fact that the rabbits are an infestation and hundreds will need to be destroyed so you can't be picky when you are trying to bring high numbers down or the fact that foxes are quite similar to dogs (and I am a dog lover).

All opinions welcome.....

Guest jt750

They are vermin ...no close season so can be controlled at any time of year ..if something doesn't sit right with you don't do it is all i can say .one less fox is better is all i have to say

As I see it, if you shoot a vixen in milk you have a moral responsibility to find the earth and humanely dispatch the cubs, in the same way that you would track down a wounded animal.

Ric

As I see it, if you shoot a vixen in milk you have a moral responsibility to find the earth and humanely dispatch the cubs, in the same way that you would track down a wounded animal.

Ric

bang on mate, thats what id do. I personally wouldnt like to leave the cubs dieing of starvation. I would shoot the cubs first , but the vixen will probaly move them if you dont get them all.

Edited by kingnewport

Its down to your own personal feelings and if its done i dont see the point in bragging off about it like one tit did on this site recently describeing shooting a vixen and her cubs like a scene from the alamo if that does country pastimes any favours then im george clooneycensored.gif

I took my first fox last night. During a lamping session I came across a den and had four pairs of eyes glowing brightly back at me (mainly using a red lamp with a white one on standby). Once I was certain of my safe overshoot and that I was indeed looking at foxes, I took the cleanest shot and down it went.

After going to check it was a clean kill I found what was a young female fox. It had very soft fur and I think it is one of this year's litter (so ~10 weeks old?), however if it was it must have been well fed as it was not that small.

So this leads me to ask, if a species is a pest, does it matter what age they are when you kill them or is is it simply one less pest is best?

Also in this situation, as I had several foxes looking at my red lamp, if I had been able to identify the vixen or dog fox would it have been better to take either of them (and therefore leave the cubs to struggle with food) or is it better to take the cubs first?

I have started this topic talking specifically about foxes because of my experience last night which started me thinking and I would like some other opinions, however the topic is a general one as last night I also took several rabbits, many of which were also very young, but this didn't even cross my mind as something to worry about. It may be that this difference is due to the fact that the rabbits are an infestation and hundreds will need to be destroyed so you can't be picky when you are trying to bring high numbers down or the fact that foxes are quite similar to dogs (and I am a dog lover).

its better to sit out and get the ADULTS 1st if you come across a den, then take care of the cubs as the will hang around the den, all you have done by shooting one of the cubs, is to alert the adults to a problem who will in turn move the whole family to a new den.

I have 4 x dens with cubs on ground i shoot over, but will not shoot them until the adults have been dealt with 1st or i will never get them all

its better to sit out and get the ADULTS 1st if you come across a den, then take care of the cubs as the will hang around the den, all you have done by shooting one of the cubs, is to alert the adults to a problem who will in turn move the whole family to a new den.

I have 4 x dens with cubs on ground i shoot over, but will not shoot them until the adults have been dealt with 1st or i will never get them all

use traps, most efficient way to get all the cubs...

I personally find it disgusting that people actually consider shooting a vixen that has cubs dependent on her.

In my opinion it also depends whether you are shooting them for genuine pest control reasons ie one of my permissions is on a commercial chicken farm with free range hens so in this scenario It is irelevant whether the vixen has cubs to feed or not......if I see a fox it is difficult at night to see for definite whether it is a dog or vixen so either way I will shoot it end of story, chances of finding the den would be slim as they can come from anywhere because there is such an easy food source. On my other permissions,which has a syndicate on it I would do the same but on my one permission I would see no reason to as ther farmer only has crops and I will wait to shoot any later on in a month or so.

It was obvious from the time the question was asked you are going to get everything from the righteous to the cowboys!

What people say and what people do are often very different, and fox and cubs will always promote debate!

Consider the Pest Controller and the Urban fox, the adults may roam far and wide in search of food and you get a call from a householder who is sick of the fox stealing their handful of chickens.....

Do you go with morality or paying the mortgage! :hmm:

Ric

I can understand where you come from here mate but i struggle everytime i hear it on here...........if you shoot a vixen 1 night how on earth do you find its den? How is it possible(as foxes will travel miles in a night) that you can get to the den and whats to say that it is even on your permission. Obviously its easy if the vixen is sitting at the den but otherwise its near immposible to police. :hmm:

Ric

I can understand where you come from here mate but i struggle everytime i hear it on here...........if you shoot a vixen 1 night how on earth do you find its den? How is it possible(as foxes will travel miles in a night) that you can get to the den and whats to say that it is even on your permission. Obviously its easy if the vixen is sitting at the den but otherwise its near immposible to police. :hmm:

Terrier?

Ric

the main thing is to make sure the shot is a kill shot if you are judgeing your self as to take the shot or not you are in the wrong line of buisness you do not say to your self should i have taken the shot you say to your self can i take the shot safetly and gaurentee a kill.

paul

Ric

Terrier?

Ric

Fair point but unless you are on permission it wont matter if you had a hundred terriers. I will shoot any fox i see on my small holding at any time of year to protect my rearing field, i am then surrounded by up to 6/7 hunred acre of ex-foresrty commision woods that i do not have permission to be on, working a dog that is. I think each case is diff' and really morals dont come into it for me. :thumbs:

By coincidence I have just returned from a site survey where I was called as the owner lost all 5 of her chickens, 4 gone completely and no 5 dead and found by her little girl.

The den is about 200 yards along the private road in a neighbours garden, who, it turns out, feeds the fox (obviously not well enough) and wants no part in their removal......

What would you do as the chicken owner wants to buy some more "pets" for her distraught daughter??

The answer is harsh but realistic!

By coincidence I have just returned from a site survey where I was called as the owner lost all 5 of her chickens, 4 gone completely and no 5 dead and found by her little girl.

The den is about 200 yards along the private road in a neighbours garden, who, it turns out, feeds the fox (obviously not well enough) and wants no part in their removal......

What would you do as the chicken owner wants to buy some more "pets" for her distraught daughter??

The answer is harsh but realistic!

Bait it with the fifth chicken and sit and wait for it to return tonight and then shoot it...thumbs.gifthumbs.gif