Getting In Carp fishing.

After Sea Fishing for a few years I'm thinking of taking up Carp Fishing. My Cousin and a few people I know are Into It and It seems like good fun! :)

Money's tight but not 100% sure on budget, will be going secondhand though..

For general Carp Fishing what kind of Rod would I need? Testcurve? What else could the rod be used for? Pike? I know alot of peopel use Carp Rods for Bass on calm Rivers..

Reel?

Chair/Bed?

Could do without a Bivi now summers here so not that fussed about getting on just yet.

Butch

Whats the size of the lake you will be fishing?....whats the average size of the fish (if you can find out)

To start with I would say you would want,

1 x rod, 12 foot 2lb TC

reel that will hold 200m of 10lb line

Landing net min 36in

Most important, a decent size un-hooking mat

And some terminal tackle for surface fishing

A big bag of chum mixers and a couple of decent catapults (one for spare ;) )

Find some decent articles on surface fishing and read up, Chris Ball, Brian Skoyles have written extensivly on the subject and then just have a go.

That will get you started, all the bells and whistles can come later if you want ;)

2nd what wilf as said ,if your planing to fish one local water find out what method is working at the moment and grear up for that (saves spending to mutch) but saying that a free lined crust works wonders this time of year you cant get any cheaper or greater sport

depends what kind of carping you wana do mate! you could do feeder fishing, float, surface , on the bottom

i do more on the bottom, simple hair rig which you can buy! running weight, thats your end tackle, obviously use boilies, pellets etc read up on best baits or the lakes your going to be visiting visit them and ask around.

id get 2 rods, a pod, alarms, you can pick them up cheap! and over time build up your gear! or just use one rod on the bottom and float on one! that way you always busy and a new comer to the sport will always want to be doing something!?

also using the float i feel helped and still helps me to learn new things, and new ways of knowing how the fish work on the bottom etc.

just visit local lakes and they should advise on best tactics they may even offer you cheap gear etc.

atb mate

find your local carp fishing forum and find the tackle for sale section. you will get 2 rod and 3 rod complete setups for £300-£400 i bought something similar last year. i got

2 rods

2 big pit reels

tackle box with about £300 of tackle braid leads etc

armo bivvy

bed

cooking gear even stove

all luggage

bait

landing net

alarms

pod

and everything else to go straight to the bank. i paid £400 because someone was quitting the sport.

you will get some absolute bargains. DONT GET IT FROM THE TACKLE SHOPS you will lose £££ if it aint for you