Train to become a farrier mate, licence to print money!

Misery of crap wages of the apprenticeship but after that its happy days!

Friend of mine worked for a small tree surgery business, seems you have a to have a bit of a screw loose to do it, goodish money if you run the business but nothing to write home about if your a lackie!

• 3 weeks later...

Applied for the Aboriculture course the other Day but am going to see a Farmer In a couple of Weeks time as He's just got shot of somebody and my Nans mate had a word with Him as He's a good mate of Hers.

Not sure what to do now? 1 Day a week at College doing Farming and then work on the farm the other 4/5 Days a week?

Or just carry on with the Aboriculture course and work twice a Week on the Farm?

Or even not bother with College and work on the Farm fulltime?

Nothing's certain yet but fingers crossed I should get on the Farm! ;)

Butch

Which course in arboriculture are you planning on doing?? ( what is the recognised qualification you will obtain?? )

Mandatory training and tickets you will need will be nptc or lantra equivilent. Cs30 + cs31, chainsaw maintenance, felling of small trees and cross cutting.

You will need the above before any firm would consider employing you or an insurer will insure.

To climb you will need cs38, using a rope and harness and carrying out aeriel rescue.

Plus cs39, using a chainsaw in a tree.

Your college course will include cs30 + 31 but anything else will be optional. You maybe offered such wonderful courses as felling medium and large trees, windblown trees, mewp access etc etc. I personally wouldnt bother and as already said it would be very rare you are called in to fell a monster.

Likeleyhood is you will have your little whipper snapper arse tied into it, sweating your balls off whilst lowering every limb down piece by piece.

Absolute winner :yes:

My advice would be get your certs then get set on by a local firm and get plenty of experience. I know im begining to sound like matt the flaming rat but a years climbing will open your eyes as to what the industry is about.

Without experience most firms will be reluctant to set you on and if they do the money will be shite.

If you make it as a climber you can sub contract to various firms for around one hundred and fifty nicker a day.

Best of luck

This Is my first choice; http://www.otleycollege.ac.uk/courses/OHND3F031.html

Second choice; http://www.otleycollege.ac.uk/courses/OHCN2F040.html

The first one's level 3 and Is a 2 year course wheras the second choice Is level 2 and only a one year course..

Here's the list of Arboriculture courses they run If anybody could give me any Information on the rest of 'em?

Cheers, Butch