I'm 18 and am thinking of going to College In September and doing Aboriculture, It's a level 2 course and from what I've read there's no level 3? Was thinking while It's free I could do that and then afterwards I could do both the Chainsaw Courses to College provides?

Where can I get from there though? Self employed?

Is this kind of work In demand? Money to be made?

Sounds like something I'd enjoy :yes:

Butch

I'm 18 and am thinking of going to College In September and doing Aboriculture, It's a level 2 course and from what I've read there's no level 3? Was thinking while It's free I could do that and then afterwards I could do both the Chainsaw Courses to College provides?

Butch

SEPTEMBER YOU'll JUST BE GETTING OUT THEN LOL

Edited by christian71

Butch

SEPTEMBER YOU'll JUST BE GETTING OUT THEN LOL

Aye and he will have a ring piece the size of a dinner plate.

You will deffinately NOT be climbing trees in a hurry.

:whistling:

FTB

Edited by FightTheBan

Butch

butch ,listn lad , sounds to me like you are really not sure what you want ,and ok you are hitting a tricky time ...not sure if you have any skills ,atall ,but i will tell you this get as many skills as you can ther aint no easy ways mate you dont suddenly become the best overnight .. takes time .and dont just look on your doorstep for work .there is a big world out there apart from the little u/k,give yourself more chances look around the world there is oppertunaties out there , the internet can be your friend go and look !!! good luck lad :thumbs:

I agree with Riohogg...it's shit not knowing what direction you want to take. Try to think about what you enjoy doing and how you could form it into a career.

If outdoors is your thing then maybe arboriculture is your line of work.

I know a guy who does tree surgery for the railways and he seems to do alright.

There are alot of niche jobs that pay well.

Friend of mine trims dairy cows feet - 10 quid a cow and he does 100+ in one day. His total outgoings are a van and a cattle crush. Fast and easy money if you can put up with the shite.

If you are keen with pleanty of ambition you will do alright if you apply yourself.

And stop scrapping in the streets ya wee dick :clapper: .

FTB

Edited by FightTheBan

On a serious note - you should be looking for a gap in the market i.e where do they need skilled labour.

If you can speciallise in something you will do better - hedge laying/dry stane dyking and that kind of jazz.

FTB

• Like 1

My mates a tree surgeon and the work can be hit and miss.Mechanics would be better but wat ever you do for fecks sake get a trade its the biggest bollock i have dropped packing a bricklaying apprentiship in to go down the pit [bANNED TEXT] i was younger dont be tempted to take a factory job or a labouring job now because its more money than a trainee or like me you might live to regret itthumbs.gif

There right tree surgery work is a bit hit and miss,but if you fancy hanging round 70+feet in the air swinging a chainsaw i say go for it i did and do alright.the first time is a bit 50p 20p on the starfish but you get over it.just out of intrest what chainsaw certificates do they offer as i,ve got 5 and plenty more to do.cheers

The works not hit and miss if you work with a decent firm and there is plenty of money to be made working either for yourself or if your a decent climber working for a company. The hardest part is finding a decent firm.

Sounds like I might have to give this a shot! Not sure on the licenses, I'll have a look for you mate ;)

What work do you lot cover on a day to day basis? Mostly Tree felling or Hedge clearing?

Butch

no sutch thing as licenses to cut /or fell mate i was a production cutter and lived in the woods for weeks on end on contracts ...........having said that most like to see you have had some formall training ..nptc certificate /hse awareness .. protective clothing .. it can be a dangerous occupation as a cutter and feller you get paid what you fell and cut per ton ,depending on hardwood ../softwood and products cut saw logs,bars stackes , rails , firewood , pulp ect its very physicly demanding work as a cutter ..tree surgery .. climbing better paid but still carrys risk goood luck ;)