Gary Middleton Lakey

I can,t be bothered trawling through the majority of this but for my tuppence worth,Gary went down the wrong road with his dogs many years ago,he attempted to rectify the problem at times but did like a looker,a lot of times to the detriment of the working side of his Lakeys.Ive owned a couple of honest workers bred from genuine Middleton terriers and have seen others that would have graced any working kennel,ive also seen some trash.The main problem with his breeding was the peddlars that jumped on the gravy train and attributed everything that entered a show,or pups advertised at inflated prices,as Middleton bred,its still going on today,such is the legacy of the name.With some of the pup prices now with Lakeys,especially north of Scotch Corner,who,s going to shell out that type of money for a pup that may only reach its potential in the show ring.yes i know,PLENTY.

• Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some one some were many years ago was walking through some were in the British isles and a flash of lightning and a crack of thunder and low and be hold a terrier appeared . It was black and tan and 1

Garys legacy is his terriers makes me laugh when I read he only breeds show stuff

Posted Images

Haven't seen him for over 20 years since I moved to Cornwall but I heard from several people that his dogs went too far down the show route and the dogs he used to create the strain originally have all had their breeding diluted.

Big shame 'cos he used to breed workers that were lookers, not lookers that sometimes worked :blink:

Cheers, D.

post-10409-0-41658300-1335437680_thumb.jpg

Haven't seen him for over 20 years since I moved to Cornwall but I heard from several people that his dogs went too far down the show route and the dogs he used to create the strain originally have all had their breeding diluted.

Big shame 'cos he used to breed workers that were lookers, not lookers that sometimes worked :blink:

Cheers, D.

Like i have said be for Gary bred some very good workers dog and bitchs back in the 70/80 but now i do not know but a lot of lads work his line very hard
  • Like 1

gary middleton has done more for the working lakeland than anyone else in this country has or ever will -- of late a lot of his gear is show stuff so be it but overall in 40 year or more of putting the effort into the breed i dont think you can knock the man ... his like may never be seen again ..

• Like 4

gary middleton has done more for the working lakeland than anyone else in this country has or ever will -- of late a lot of his gear is show stuff so be it but overall in 40 year or more of putting the effort into the breed i dont think you can knock the man ... his like may never be seen again ..

:thumbs:
  • Like 1

How can anyone breeding with even half an eye on looks be seen as preserving a working breed? If that were true we should be thanking KC breeders for all the great work they've done for fox ,west highlands, scottish, cairn, sealyham,manchester etc. etc. etc. terriers

• Like 1

How can anyone breeding with even half an eye on looks be seen as preserving a working breed? If that were true we should be thanking KC breeders for all the great work they've done for fox ,west highlands, scottish, cairn, sealyham,manchester etc. etc. etc. terriers

SO ONLY UGLY TERRIERS WORK

SO ONLY UGLY TERRIERS WORK

No, looks has nothing to do with it. When you breed for looks you compromise,that's were the road splits.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2