becomeing a pest controler

hi all ive been offered a job to sort out rats rabbits and feral pigions and some gulls the problem is i need to set up a bussiness so i can do it as the land is private so how do i go about priceing up th jobs they are wanting done and how do i set things up to be payed any help would be a great help, ive offered to do it free but the company say it has to be on the books with them

If you are going to sort the pests for them as a business then you need to get qualified, experience and insured.

hi mate got 30years experence with dogs airguns shotguns they dont want poison used as the company that are doing it arnt haveing much success so they want to see results i.e body counts what kind of insureance would i need it is to last 12month if i do well they said they would pass me onto other sister company,s around the uk expenses paid for travel etc

have you wonderred, why the firm doing it are not getting results?

Id be very weary, they have a firm already, who are a "pest company" yet want you instead, maybe theres more problems there that you dont know about

risk assessments, method statements, insurance etc, can be a nightmare

what will you be doing differently,

I often 'clean up' many pest problems after so called 'profesionals' from the big companies have been booted from the scene by the landlords, but not before charging a small fortune for their poxy efforts. They seem to rely heavily on quick fix chemical solutions, and rarely want to spend any time there. one persons loss is anothers gain...but i suppose they have gained money, but not reputation.

Akeen shot

I would consider what the other posters have said, insurance is a must (public liability) and carry out your risk assesments with great detail. adhere to all current regulations, and codes of practice.

As for payment, it would be easiest to charge an hourly rate your happy with, plus costs of equipment/ammo/tools etc used, on top. working out contract prices always hurts my brain

DnN

I often 'clean up' many pest problems after so called 'profesionals' from the big companies have been booted from the scene by the landlords, but not before charging a small fortune for their poxy efforts. They seem to rely heavily on quick fix chemical solutions, and rarely want to spend any time there. one persons loss is anothers gain...but i suppose they have gained money, but not reputation.

Akeen shot

I would consider what the other posters have said, insurance is a must (public liability) and carry out your risk assesments with great detail. adhere to all current regulations, and codes of practice.

As for payment, it would be easiest to charge an hourly rate your happy with, plus costs of equipment/ammo/tools etc used, on top. working out contract prices always hurts my brain

DnN

hi all.....thanks for your replys i take on board what you are saying and will be looking into things alot closer ive got a full time job and it would make things easy for me as the job they want me to do is only a half hour walk from my house so early mornings and early evening when everyone finishes work would suit me and them........i was planning on an hourly rate my terriers would be doing the graft with me doing a little spade work or useing a smoker or ferret depending on what they want sorting at the time...the company that is doing it now turn up bait up some boxes then leave...dont no what they get paid.......the guy who asked me to do it seen the dogs in me mates motor and asked me if i worked them.......i told him they would bag up the rats if he gave me an hour their and then.......the rats arnt to bothered when people are walking about ive seen a lot scuttling about.when im waiting for my pal to finish work anyway i,ll see what happens with the company and see if they call me