Kerry Blue

Is there any decent game bred Kerry Blue terriers or kerry blue lurcher strains left?

Its a cross Ive never seen work in the flesh, but my pal John who is from Irish origin claims they were up there with some of the best - as keen as you like.

Feel free to share any stories and/or pictures!

Cheers :thumbs:

FTB

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yeah they are brilliant thats why so many people use them still nowadays FTB

Posted Images

sorry fight the ban living in ireland you dont see too many theses days

the weaton is more highly regarded but im sure there is still

a few around that are worked.

hope this is some help

they are a nice type all the same

mack

I think Little Lurcher on this site has Greyxkerry type dog, Would be interesting to hear from any one who has Kerry Lurchers. Most of the Kerry blue terriers i have came across have all seemed to be a bit mad with other dogs...i still like them though!!!

Edited by MartMc

kerry blue crosses spot on game as you like.Any type off game you hunt or did pre ban. you would have need the 3/4 cross for hares like most 1/2 crosses A bit heavy. and if brought on right like any other cross spot on with other dogs I will leave little lurcher to tell the rest........

Good to hear that some people still stay loyal to the working strain. I for one think it would be a real shame to loose the working bloodline from types such as this.

I know they were highly regarded for a different type of quarry.

FTB

Guest AngelicAcid

Bull Xs came the rage and in thing.

Lurcherxlurcher got hardder to get, as with beddy xs.

Now these are more sought after than a lot of Bull Xs.

new people to the game might only see a few dogs run, and be taken by a certain type, ie Bull Xs.

And that could be all they see, so only look for that type.

if that happens a lot, then other types fade/die and eventually there is no line left.

Only a theory mind you.

Guest stewie

Bull Xs came the rage and in thing.

Lurcherxlurcher got hardder to get, as with beddy xs.

Now these are more sought after than a lot of Bull Xs.

new people to the game might only see a few dogs run, and be taken by a certain type, ie Bull Xs.

And that could be all they see, so only look for that type.

if that happens a lot, then other types fade/die and eventually there is no line left.

Only a theory mind you.

only the best survive AA and if kerry blues where any good they would still be going strong!!! the cross is wank now the breeds been ruined and not worth bothering with id much rather have a bedlington cross any day

Thta pup is a corker dotty. ATB wae that one.

Stewie, have you had first hand experience of this cross to come up with a statement like that?

Or is it purely assumption.

If it's the later, cheers for your input, but I was really looking for replys from people who have had first hand experience.

Just because its the latest fashion - doesnt mean it's the be all and end all...

FTB

Guest stewie

Thta pup is a corker dotty. ATB wae that one.

Stewie, have you had first hand experience of this cross to come up with a statement like that?

Or is it purely assumption.

If it's the later, cheers for your input, but I was really looking for replys from people who have had first hand experience.

Just because its the latest fashion - doesnt mean it's the be all and end all...

FTB

no its just common sense FTB the breed is ruined may aswell use a westie!!! still not sent that pm FTB or answered poachermans question??? and bull crosses have been around for many years FTB and are far from the latest fashion if you knew anything about dogs you would no that :thumbs:

Guest stewie

well stewie, i have spoken to people that have owned/do own this cross an they all haver 1 thing in common

an thats they were all satisfied wae the way the dogs took to theyr jobs..........

so rather than listen to you warble on aboot something you have just admitted to having no knowledge of,

ill just make me own mind up :thumbs:

i only said no to having first hand experience dotty doo ive spoke to a few people over here and in ireland about the kerry blues and they say your more likely to get a shit one than a good one!!! it is a breed that i liked the look of but its just pointless now they have not been a serious working breed for decades now am i wrong???? all im saying if they were worth running alot more would but good luck to anyone who has a good un :thumbs:

Guest stewie

got nothing against a wheaton cross dotty doo and they have took off pretty well id say and still going strong im hoping to get a 3/8 5/8 pup in next year if the planned mating by my cousin goes ahead. so your saying kerry blues are as good as wheatons?????