summer ferreting

I've never really been ratting properly, but we have all seen videos where they use a chainsaw engine to smoke out the rats and flush them to terriers. I have often wondered whether this could be used to flush bunnies to nets / dogs.

Obviously I don't think this would be the ideal method as if too many bolt at once then you risk loosing them by not being able to get to the nets in time. However, it might be useful in certain situations and in the summer as it avoids the problems of having to dig.

What I think might be a problem with this would be that rabbit warrens are bigger than rat "warrens" and so the large holes would mean that the exhaust smoke doesn't really build up enough to flush the rabbits.

Be interesting to know if anyone has tried this? In rabbit control you can never have too many options!

hey ross - a chain saw engine? sure its not a leaf blower mate? thats what most people use! :thumbs:

I've never really been ratting properly, but we have all seen videos where they use a chainsaw engine to smoke out the rats and flush them to terriers. I have often wondered whether this could be used to flush bunnies to nets / dogs.

Obviously I don't think this would be the ideal method as if too many bolt at once then you risk loosing them by not being able to get to the nets in time. However, it might be useful in certain situations and in the summer as it avoids the problems of having to dig.

What I think might be a problem with this would be that rabbit warrens are bigger than rat "warrens" and so the large holes would mean that the exhaust smoke doesn't really build up enough to flush the rabbits.

Be interesting to know if anyone has tried this? In rabbit control you can never have too many options!

hey ross - a chain saw engine? sure its not a leaf blower mate? thats what most people use! :thumbs:

i no a few lads that use cut down strimmers there lighter than both leaf blower and chain saws and they work fine

farmer