summer ferreting

mate of mine has pest control buisiness.landed a rabbit problem job.thier thinking of gassin em.fair enough the bloke keeps thoroughbred nags and needs the problem sorted.is ferreting a complete waste of time with all the young uns still in nests etc.gutted they cant wait till winter could have some great sport. :wallbash:

appaling disgusting cruel hanging is to good for you cruel c**ts.

lol just kidding i dont do it as couldnt be bothered with all the hassle if they start killing small bunnies,also want plenty for winter.

i just been asked to deal with rabbits at my place of work as the costomer requirements say we must remove them. they asked the contract holder for pest control and there price was too dear so they asked me to do it and i get paid time and a half for it. as for gassing is it not illegal for to gas until the warren is emptied? think it is.

as for gassing is it not illegal for to gas until the warren is emptied? think it is.

gassing after the warren is empty, would defeat the object of gassing, think your thinking of the contraption that ignites gas, totally different to gassing rabbits, the one that collapses the burrows in not the thing to use, in my opinion

as for gassing is it not illegal for to gas until the warren is emptied? think it is.

gassing after the warren is empty, would defeat the object of gassing, think your thinking of the contraption that ignites gas, totally different to gassing rabbits, the one that collapses the burrows in not the thing to use, in my opinion

your right mate.the farmer on my permission uses it well he aint used in a cpl year.used to the burrows in heavy cover.if i remeber correctly it had stupid name like terminator or something like that.he explained it to one day and by law the burrows had to be clear.cost him a few grand apparently

I ferret a huge estate in Dumfries and dont get on till March. once the seasons by.

Still got a few days left to do, it's a total pain in ther hoop but it keeps the door open for my other activities :whistling: and it's not bad when you get paid to do it.

Too hot,sweat like a pig, end up digging all day, covers up, go through shells like it's going out of fashion on youngsters and to top it off you forget your sun tan cream and come back like a lobster :icon_redface: .

Take ferreting on a frosty winters morning any day.

FTB

its called a rodenator

http://www.rodenator.eu/html/order.html?gclid=CKDpwqWI26ECFSMslAodWRzZHQ ferreting them during summer is very time consuming and the pest control company will know that (thats probably why the quote was high) .. another thing to remember if your gassing them the field must be clear of live stock during the treatment and for at least 7 days after the treatment.. the same goes if your using fenn traps really you dont want any stock in the field if your trapping ..what about drop traps in the fence line ?? or even shooting them ??

atb gary

Edited by festa

its called a rodenator

http://www.rodenator.eu/html/order.html?gclid=CKDpwqWI26ECFSMslAodWRzZHQ ferreting them during summer is very time consuming and the pest control company will know that (thats probably why the quote was high) .. another thing to remember if your gassing them the field must be clear of live stock during the treatment and for at least 7 days after the treatment.. the same goes if your using fenn traps really you dont want any stock in the field if your trapping ..what about drop traps in the fence line ?? or even shooting them ??

atb gary

thats the very fellow knew it was an expenxive piece of kit.

I was ferreting a new permission right up till the last day in april and thats me finished ferreting but it had to be done there ,Theres other ways to control rabbits and its easier and better bags than ferreting them

The rodenator should be banned - if you have ever seen it used . . . . it's just sickening. No one likes to see rabbits trying to flee from a burrow with all their fur on fire. Your meant to clear the burrow first but no one does. . . . .

. . . . . and they ban hunting with dogs cos its 'cruel'.

Jai.

thanks for the replys.he told me he wants to shoot the ground first...then ferret it..then gas it.seems a bit arse about face to me.if its gunna get gassed anyway why bother shootin an ferretin :icon_eek: .would it not be better just to gas it.and then mop anything else up with a rifle.not a gassin fan meself but dont know enough about it to really have an opinion.spose if they gotta go they gotta go.cheers again all.mat

It wouldn't be my way of doing it but i can see why he wants it done that way gassing it last to mop up whats left but your getting a chance to use the rabbits you catch first and if it was gassed it would just be a total waste of meat etc

I've never really been ratting properly, but we have all seen videos where they use a chainsaw engine to smoke out the rats and flush them to terriers. I have often wondered whether this could be used to flush bunnies to nets / dogs.

Obviously I don't think this would be the ideal method as if too many bolt at once then you risk loosing them by not being able to get to the nets in time. However, it might be useful in certain situations and in the summer as it avoids the problems of having to dig.

What I think might be a problem with this would be that rabbit warrens are bigger than rat "warrens" and so the large holes would mean that the exhaust smoke doesn't really build up enough to flush the rabbits.

Be interesting to know if anyone has tried this? In rabbit control you can never have too many options!

i dont like it my self and its not because its hard work it the fact the ferret gets to that nest its game over for a full litter

i leave my permision till september then you get propper bumper bags of rabbits and every year is another comp to try beat your pb on rabbit numbers but thats just me but am not a pest controler they have to do it i dont

happy hunting

farmer