I discovered this critter on my terrier's neck and it well pissed me off,he caught this in the garden as i regularly let him sleep in the back garden so i presume that's where he caught it.Here's some pics for those whbo haven't yet encountered tick problems(also having read up on ticks they are best eradicated as soon as possible due to potentially lethal diseases to both humans and dogs).I took this fecker out with some fine tweezers on my second attempt,now need to use some preventative solution like frontline to avoid re-infestation,hope these pics will help someone identify what a tick looks like and also more importantly

the last picture shbould show a completely whole tick with head still on after removal.

post-4435-127404561071_thumb.jpg

post-4435-127404565076_thumb.jpg

post-4435-127404568472_thumb.jpg

post-4435-127404630186_thumb.jpg

good luck with your removals of ticks,

Higgins.

Edited by higgins

iv already pulled about a dozen or so, i find them quite hard to find because my terrier has such a thick coat, due a strip soon, but i find it easier to run my hands down her to feel for them.

iv already pulled about a dozen or so, i find them quite hard to find because my terrier has such a thick coat, due a strip soon, but i find it easier to run my hands down her to feel for them.

Thbat's hbow i found this one on mine,went to grab him whilst playing with him and he winced and nearly bit me,i realised something was making his neck sore and tender,so i ran my fingers around his neck till i felt the bump which confirmed my suspicions.

Thbat's hbow i found this one on mine,went to grab him whilst playing with him and he winced and nearly bit me,i realised something was making his neck sore and tender,so i ran my fingers around his neck till i felt the bump which confirmed my suspicions.

Anyone who uses terriers for Earth work will come across loads of them on their terriers.

That is the best way to find them though. If you keep up to date with your frontlining you'll see they go white and die but will still on the dog so you'll still have to remove them.

Horrible little things.

• 3 weeks later...

I discovered this critter on my terrier's neck and it well pissed me off,he caught this in the garden as i regularly let him sleep in the back garden so i presume that's where he caught it.Here's some pics for those whbo haven't yet encountered tick problems(also having read up on ticks they are best eradicated as soon as possible due to potentially lethal diseases to both humans and dogs).I took this fecker out with some fine tweezers on my second attempt,now need to use some preventative solution like frontline to avoid re-infestation,hope these pics will help someone identify what a tick looks like and also more importantly

the last picture shbould show a completely whole tick with head still on after removal.

post-4435-127404561071_thumb.jpg

post-4435-127404565076_thumb.jpg

post-4435-127404568472_thumb.jpg

post-4435-127404630186_thumb.jpg

good luck with your removals of ticks,

Higgins.

bumped for another member

my lurcher gets ticks all the time as the garden is so big and thick near the lake but usually i can catch them before they stick to him, great post. atb nicole.

You have to keep running your hands over the dogs and feel any bumps,that's the best way as you can't see them on rough/long haired dogs,atb,

Higgins

my lurcher gets ticks all the time as the garden is so big and thick near the lake but usually i can catch them before they stick to him, great post. atb nicole.

You have to keep running your hands over the dogs and feel any bumps,that's the best way as you can't see them on rough/long haired dogs,atb,

Higgins

yes im on 24hour tick patrol haha! i hate the wee buggers, often though the dogs get them near at least once a week, but great post mate, :thumbs:

thanks nicole.

Higgins

yes im on 24hour tick patrol haha! i hate the wee buggers, often though the dogs get them near at least once a week, but great post mate, :thumbs:

thanks nicole.

Thanks Nicole,prevention is better than cure so i think that stuff called frontline has been mentioned on here a few times, is probably a better solution,it lasts for a good while,maybe other members on here can tell us how good it is,then you may not have to keep checking so frequently,

Higgins. :thumbs:

Good post :thumbs: Found one of the little f***ers on my bitch the other day - they are hard to spot on rough coated dogs. I frontline mine, and the tick was dead, but still attached.

Does anyone know of anything better than frontline? It only seems to work for a couple of weeks and I'm not sure that it kills the tick straight away, or only after its already attached. I use the drops - is the spray any better?

Good post :thumbs: Found one of the little f***ers on my bitch the other day - they are hard to spot on rough coated dogs. I frontline mine, and the tick was dead, but still attached.

Does anyone know of anything better than frontline? It only seems to work for a couple of weeks and I'm not sure that it kills the tick straight away, or only after its already attached. I use the drops - is the spray any better?

Sheep dip about 20mil in a half a bath of water.No tics or fleas.P1