please help poorly kit

Ferret kits vary in size any way, so don't worry about the size. The eye thing could just be fluid, if so it will escape when the eyes start to open. Anyway the thing to do is put it back and let nature take its course , it may well be fine, just stop messing.

Edited by romany52

I've seen this type of eye infection a few times over the years in very young kits. It's caused by a infection and build up of pus, and can be treated by very carefully opening the slit and putting in ophthalmic oinment. This is not something I felt comfortable doing, so just left it alone. The swelling went down within 2-3 days, and it didn't seem to affect the kit's health or future eye sight. I've never seen any indication that it's contagious, as I've never had more than one kit in a litter with it.

The runt very likely has either a cardiac or gastrointestinal congenital defect. If minor, she'll probably survive but may not be healthy long term. Such kits should never be used for breeding if they do survive.

i would just leave them to there own devices mate its nature picking out the weak if they dont make it. also i read a book and one part of the book was about was it a good idea to help the runt feed in dog litters if it looked like it was not strong enough to feed itself and it said that they never made good dogs and most became aggessive when older and food posessive so for me i would let nature take its coarse mate. fair play with keeping the ferrets you dont sell mate i know simon whitehead has a piture in his book of a working one eyed ferret. hope all goes well mate

the size of the runt, I would'ent expect you having any luck in hand feeding, more likely you'd end up giving it the shites, just put it back, and leave them alone, if it gets to the 4 - 5 week old stage, then you can give extra meals of fresh rabit

ok cheers guys she still seems strong im gunna just take the mum out and the runt and let her feed her on her own see if she pics up a bit in growth

dont do that mate. :no: just leave them alone if it dies it dies.start messing about like that and you will possibly lose them all.do not take the mother away from her kits,she will get stressed and no good will come of it

ok cheers guys she still seems strong im gunna just take the mum out and the runt and let her feed her on her own see if she pics up a bit in growth

I know breeding ferts can be stressfull for the first timers, but why must some people try to play god, let nature takes its course, or risk loosing the lot

nature will sort this if you seperate the jill from her kits even though she may not seem stressed she maybe and you could lose the lot its wait and see with ferrets there very capable of looking after them selfs you just need to let them be helping weak kits can lead to defective ferrets being bred and nobody wants that any defective ferrets should be culled straight away sad but very true ,good luck anyway