working small jack russells

Nuvs post about one of his small borders working below ground got me thinking, the popular type of russell for earth work nowadays is the longer legged variety, but does anyone own presently or in the past or seen the small (under 11inch) type russell doing earth work?

My Mentor, perhaps known here as Smudger/Blondie whipped in to the Eastern Counties ottehounds...I met him through a different hunt...

He used to refer to his dogs as 'pipe cleaners', which they were. However, they were Hunt Terriers used in Essex, so could bolt Charlie when they had to...nice.but ugly...

I had little jacks when I was a teenager and they did for me when I was ratting and rabbiting, but unfortunately they were found lacking when it came to earth work. Having said that I am sure it was nothing to do with their size as plenty of small dogs have made the grade and excelled. Look at Bert Griptons dogs and Geoff Laytons were on the small size.

Alright mate i had a very small russell... got her when i was 14 and she died to ground the end of last season so i only had her for about nearly 4 years...

i used her for abit of everything ratting, rabbiting, catting on the tips.. and foxes..

here's a few pics for you...

First rat in 2002

jay6Medium.jpg

pic of her and the lurcher i run... if i remember correctly she caught this rabbit..

jaym.jpg

The first fox she saw and my first fox also :D

jayMedium.jpg

Here she is next to a 11" nuttal terrier so you can see how little she was....

hunting.jpg

jay

nice pics mate :)

Guest the poacher

my bitch is just 11 inchs she does ok in small earths but gets pushed about in the gigger places but if she catches on top of the ground she wont leave go :D:D terriers dont you just love them :laugh:

heres a pic or 2 of her

dogpics034vl8.jpg

shes on the right the smallest one

dogpics065aj6.jpg

dogpics191td0.jpg

Thats the sort of dog i started out with......good little bitch she was and i got 127 red fellows with her, mainly bolted , though i did dig a dozen or so i guess too. she was just a bolter, but i loved her never-the-less....R.I.P Lucy...

Guest the poacher

i honestly didnt buy this bitch for earth work just abit of rabbiting for the lurcher but onedays she went and bayed her head off in a one holer i dont care if she doesnt go in again and do it as i said i want herfor rabbits and shes a good bitch for bolting :)

A friend of mine has a small long backed, bent legged, russell dog.He is now 12yrs old and feck me what a dog he has been, he'd work any type of earth to massive rock pile's where other hunt terriermen shyed away from, to the peat runner's full of water! bred a few litters but most of the stuff is in Ireland.

Edited by wheaten