Rabbit Problem nr Harrogate – local ferreter wanted

If any local ferreters with field experience, fancy a days ferreting on some new land, pm me.

Thanks

Mick

hi mate the problem you might have is bad timing most lads with experience (me included) wont work ferrets this time of year ... to many young rabbits kicking around = digging and lay ups ..

atb gary

If any local ferreters with field experience, fancy a days ferreting on some new land, pm me.

Thanks

Mick

hi mate the problem you might have is bad timing most lads with experience (me included) wont work ferrets this time of year ... to many young rabbits kicking around = digging and lay ups ..

atb gary

Top man, fair play to you, nothing worse than killing young before there time. :thumbs:

So you dont fish for spawning pike, mmmm... And i should imagine if it is a problem with the rabbits, they dont want the young to grow, and have more young... They would want it nipping in the bud... Same as a charlie with young.. The farmer wants rid, he doesnt want them to grow up as well..

when you fish for pike and they are full of spawn you don't kill the spawn do you,unless that is if you kill the pike.thumbs.gif

many pike belly up while in spawn after fighting hard! They are in shallow and warm water, surely you have seen or witnessed this....

when you fish for pike and they are full of spawn you don't kill the spawn do you,unless that is if you kill the pike.thumbs.gif

many pike belly up while in spawn after fighting hard! They are in shallow and warm water, surely you have seen or witnessed this....

i have,but the pike doesn't have to be in spawn to do this,if the pike has had a long hard fight then it's the fight that will do the damage not because the pike is carrying spawn.thumbs.gif

i have,but the pike doesn't have to be in spawn to do this,if the pike has had a long hard fight then it's the fight that will do the damage not because the pike is carrying spawn.thumbs.gif

sure it will yea, but even more so if it is haevy with spawn, Had it happen with a 30lb+(which did survive but it was touch and go for a very long time) and two different 20's(which didnt survive) plus a few good doubles, it can be quite upsetting. This is why i no longer fish for them in the spawning time mate..

sure it will yea, but even more so if it is haevy with spawn, Had it happen with a 30lb+(which did survive but it was touch and go for a very long time) and two different 20's(which didnt survive) plus a few good doubles, it can be quite upsetting. This is why i no longer fish for them in the spawning time mate..

i end my pike fishing in march,but you can get pike heavy with spawn as far back as january over here,i don't see a problem myself with fishing for pike during spawning,that is when you will catch your heaviest fish,as long as the proper tackle is used,i use 50lb braid all the time when i am pike fishing so i can bully the fish when i need to,you wouldn't want to be playing a fish for anymore than 15 mins if possible,it's not good for the pike and your arms are feckin killing you,lolthumbs.gif

Also your going to need to do it properly - i.e ferret everything and back fill all the holes, then return every couple of days for a good long while and see what burrows have been re-opened, and hit them again and again until there is no new sign. Otherwise you just create a vacuum.

However ferreting is not a good option, i would use a good range of traps in the burrows and snares on the runs and fences along with a good few nights lamping with rifle.

Ferreting this time of year is much time for little result.

atb

Jai.

Hi, thanks for the advice

The problem has developed over the last few months, with the rabbits shifting from the neighbouring fields into a friends orchards and gardens and taking up residence / transforming the place into a real mess.

– hence the offer for a local ferreter to enjoy this little gem of a place.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by mick green

i end my pike fishing in march,but you can get pike heavy with spawn as far back as january over here,i don't see a problem myself with fishing for pike during spawning,that is when you will catch your heaviest fish,as long as the proper tackle is used,i use 50lb braid all the time when i am pike fishing so i can bully the fish when i need to,you wouldn't want to be playing a fish for anymore than 15 mins if possible,it's not good for the pike and your arms are feckin killing you,lolthumbs.gif

you want to play a fish for 70mins jt. in sweltering heat, now thats an arm wrencher! lol.

Its a no win situation rabbits in some areas need to be controlled all year long ferreting's no ideal and trapping and snaring cant be used in some areas and the catch is susceptible fly strike .so what can you do?? lampings a good alternative but it feels like your putting in a nightshift at this time of year .