The law concerning knives

have a read of this mate

The CJA 1988 mainly relates to carrying knives in public places, Section 139 being the most important.

"It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches." [CJA 1988 section 139(1)]

The phrase "good reason" is intended to allow for "common sense" possession of knives, so that it is legal to carry a knife if there is a bona fide reason to do so. Examples of bona fide reasons which have been accepted include: a knife required for ones trade (e.g. a chefs knife), as part of a national costume (e.g. a sgian dubh), or for religious reasons (e.g. a Sikh Kirpan).

In this case, public place is meant as anywhere accessible to the public, so for example a private campsite, which members of the public must book to use, is a public place. Also, knives should only be carried to and from and used at the location where they are needed. For example, leaving a knife in a car for use when you go fishing would be illegal. It should be taken back into the house each time you use the car (other than to go fishing). [1]

Thank you Carp King, so if Iv read this rightly I can carry a 3 inch folding pocket knife when I am hunting for the purpose of paunching rabbits? YIS

as long as its not lockable

As long as you can prove that you have a good reason for having it like needed for work i recon if you were walking througe a field poice arent going to bother you about it espicaly if you have gutted rabbits to prove what its been for but say you were just walking around in a public place ie town then it would be a different story :thumbs:

OK

You can carry a knife with a blade of 3 inches or less which is non locking (slip joint)

These can be carried with NO reason required.

If you have a reason, you can carry any suitable knife.

If you a rabbiting you can have a sheath knife ,locking knife etc.( you may not get away with a samuria sword for skinning though)

Keep it in mind that if you keep a knife in the car when you do not need it, your car is deemed a public place and you can be charged. The car boot is not a public place so you can keep a knife in there.

I carry a case whittler slipjoint with me everywhere and will gladly prove my case to anyone that the law says I am allowed to carry it.

OK

You can carry a knife with a blade of 3 inches or less which is non locking (slip joint)

These can be carried with NO reason required.

If you have a reason, you can carry any suitable knife.

If you a rabbiting you can have a sheath knife ,locking knife etc.( you may not get away with a samuria sword for skinning though)

Keep it in mind that if you keep a knife in the car when you do not need it, your car is deemed a public place and you can be charged. The car boot is not a public place so you can keep a knife in there.

I carry a case whittler slipjoint with me everywhere and will gladly prove my case to anyone that the law says I am allowed to carry it.

Hi mate this was my understanding of the law too , I will not use a non locking knife at all too much chance of self injury if it closes on your fingers,I done this when i was younger and had to get an op to sort out the tendons ..... :icon_redface:

High quality slipjoints like the case one I have ,have quite a strong action and I`ve found it to be fine. Never shut on me yet anyroad.

Its only for general use and it`s not been a problem .

Apart from that ,if the law says I can, I will :clapper:

The Criminal Justice Act (1988) says that you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding. That means no fixed blade knives. But, think about it - a knife has no place at a football match, in a pub, nightclub or school and becomes an offensive weapon in these circumstances in just the same way as a screwdriver, or any other innanimate tool.

But I NEED a Bigger Knife ...

If you wish to carry a larger knife then you must have 'reasonable cause'. That means that you must be able to prove that you had a genuine reason for carrying the knife.

You may carry a larger cutting tool if it is associated with your work (for instance a chef may carry a 9.0" butchers knife roll to and from work), or if it is associated with your sport, (for instance a fisherman may carry a 6.0" fillet knife, or a hunter may carry a 6.0" fixed blade hunting knife).

Don't forget it's there though. If you stop off in Tesco's for a can of beans on your way home take the knife off of your belt and lock it in your glove box, or your local Bobby will be unimpressed at your excuses. When transporting a knife by car keep it locked away in the glove box or securely stored in the boot of the vehicle. Do not slip it into the door side-pocket, under your seat or in a centre console, this is a dangerous practice, and if stopped by the Police this gives the impression of keeping the knife close to hand.

Don't Give The Police A Hard Time ...

Ensure that you comply fully with the law. The Police take breaches of knife law very seriously, you really don't want to be caught on the wrong side, it's just not worth it.

link below for 1997 knives act

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1997/ukpga_19970021_en_1

hope this helps mate

cheers

sean

Locking knives are considered fixed blades so what ever size the blade of your locking knife you still need a good reason to carry it

Having no teeth is not a good reason to carry a locking knife, see the news article below that appeared in my local paper

My link

Edited by RogerTheCat

Locking knives are considered fixed blades so what ever size the blade of your locking knife you still need a good reason to carry it

Having no teeth is not a good reason to carry a locking knife, see the news article below that appeared in my local paper

My link

Wow....lol