Which spaniel ?

Right not looking at the moment as put off getting another dog until my 1 year old lab is older, machurer and better trained (hopefully) lol!

But I have decided as rather have another lab I would like to get a spaniel more for there hunting as the lab will hunt but not so much as a spaniel, I was just wondering what you guys would go for ?

At the moment my dad and me paid half each for my labrador (Which I wish we never had) as I want her kennel'd but they keep putting her in the house and spoiling her, but then when shes naughty and doesn't listen its my fault :wallbash: so with the next one I will be doing it all myself, the dog will be kennel'd 24/7 with a padlock on the kennel to keep the interfering buggers out :bye:

Now then, what would you suggest would make a good companion to my labrador, will be good with the family (still want it to interact with the family just not as much) and be a good hunter and ofcourse easily trained ? The lab is my first gundog, she is going ok and I also go upto a Lab field trialer for help now and then with training but shes a bit head strong at times, If she spends the afternoon in her kennel and run she listens very well but if she spends the afternoon on the settee shes a bit headstrong :no:

I was thinking a Springer Spaniel :hmm: I think there stunning but am also tempted to get a Cocker spaniel :hmm: both seem lovely, I posted up my situation so you know what Im after and wondered what you guys think ? It shouldn't be for atleast another year anyways :thumbs:

Right not looking at the moment as put off getting another dog until my 1 year old lab is older, machurer and better trained (hopefully) lol!

But I have decided as rather have another lab I would like to get a spaniel more for there hunting as the lab will hunt but not so much as a spaniel, I was just wondering what you guys would go for ?

At the moment my dad and me paid half each for my labrador (Which I wish we never had) as I want her kennel'd but they keep putting her in the house and spoiling her, but then when shes naughty and doesn't listen its my fault :wallbash: so with the next one I will be doing it all myself, the dog will be kennel'd 24/7 with a padlock on the kennel to keep the interfering buggers out :bye:

Now then, what would you suggest would make a good companion to my labrador, will be good with the family (still want it to interact with the family just not as much) and be a good hunter and ofcourse easily trained ? The lab is my first gundog, she is going ok and I also go upto a Lab field trialer for help now and then with training but shes a bit head strong at times, If she spends the afternoon in her kennel and run she listens very well but if she spends the afternoon on the settee shes a bit headstrong :no:

I was thinking a Springer Spaniel :hmm: I think there stunning but am also tempted to get a Cocker spaniel :hmm: both seem lovely, I posted up my situation so you know what Im after and wondered what you guys think ? It shouldn't be for atleast another year anyways :thumbs:

Hello, atm I am training a springer spaniel she's coming on well for my first time training a dog. It all really depends on what type of shooting your doing. If you are going to do a bit of duck flighting on ponds etc a springer would be a better choice as they are bigger and don't lose body heat as much as a cocker would. Compared to the two the cocker will hunt better and has even more stamina to the the springer. But there is very little between a cocker and springer it all really goes down to personal preferance.

well got the lab hopefully for duck flighting and water work, although I would train the spaniel for this I wouldnt be relying on it to do this really, mostly looking for a dog to train to flush from heavy cover :) And to take beating and rough shooting :)

I have 2 young sprockers here and so far so good,flushing from heavy cover,enless stamina and eager to please.They are as drivey as they could be,level headed yet kind and gentle with the kids and other dogs.

They are both kenneled and quiet with no destructiveness.

They are well excercised etc and i couldnt be happier.

I guess so long as they parents are both steady reliable workers you should be ok whatever you decide

All the best

It all depends on your personal preference, i have 3 springers and 1 cocker they both do the same jobs and do them well, the only difference is the cocker is a lot hotter and is constantly on the move even if we are stopped having lunch she is busy, busy. Some people find the springers easier to train because they are not as busy as the cockers.Good luck on your decision it is not easy to make a decision like that.

It all depends on your personal preference, i have 3 springers and 1 cocker they both do the same jobs and do them well, the only difference is the cocker is a lot hotter and is constantly on the move even if we are stopped having lunch she is busy, busy. Some people find the springers easier to train because they are not as busy as the cockers.Good luck on your decision it is not easy to make a decision like that.

Bloody hell lol, the Springers I have seen are hard enough to keep still for 2 minutes, if cockers are worse then I think I know which I will be going for :) lol

Bloody hell lol, the Springers I have seen are hard enough to keep still for 2 minutes, if cockers are worse then I think I know which I will be going for :) lol

I've trained labs for years, after loosin the last one our lass wanted no more but I managed to pursuade her to get a cocker , lovely bitch,retrieve's swims like an otter but what a handfull

Training cockers can be very frustrating and requires a totally different approach than any other gundog breed.

I have participated in spaniel training for a number of years with trialling boys who know their stuff, some of the best in the business.

My advice to you as a first time spaniel man is not to get too wrapped up in how many FTCHs there are on the papers. Trialling lads like dogs wired to the moon that they can peg down from 6 months onwards - you want a biddable wee thing that wants to work for YOU.

Go to a big pheasant shoot and find the man that can get his spaniel doing figure of 8 quatering in at his feet :laugh: and try and get something off him.

Spaniels can ALWAYS be wound up to hunt better, fater and more stylish - as a beginner it's trying to peg the feckers down.

If you hit the nail on the head with cockers they can be brilliant little dogs and as keen as you like, but IMO you would do better with a springer first.

I hope this helps you make a decision that will shape your experience with gundogs and try your patience to the limits :thumbs:

Anything else - feel free to PM me.

FTB

• Like 1

FTB has it spot on.

Too hot is a pain in the arse. If you are out all day with the dog then having to be right on top of it ALL the time is knackering!

Its best to see the dogs work than rely on field trial back in the generations (no gaurentee that the parents arent duds). Id prefer to know that the parents do the job

Ive said before that i would have a good springer but i wouldpay for a good cocker. Thats purely personal choice and they both do the job equally.

A sprocker will do the job but why cross the two when the mongrels are so expensive these days (thanks to 'marketing' people forgetting that for every sprocker doing the job there are hundreds of springers / cockers doing the same thing)

• 2 weeks later...

id go for a springer on the whole slighty easier than a cocker. you dont need a ft champ, a good keepers spaniel with out papers a be cheaper and possiby more biddeable i some times have luck with failed trialers that squeak etc reasonable price and the basics done

i was always keen to get a springer, attended a few spaniel trials and was pretty impressed with the little cockers, i now have 4, use them for beating and picking up, they are happy to run with my bigger dogs chasing birds and never run out of gas,in the process of importing another this year, great dogs.

lots off good advise on thread.

all three breeds will do what you need of them choose the one you prefer the look of and try and see the parents work if you can.

i have all three and they all work to Hawk and Gun!!!

best of luck

jay

Training cockers can be very frustrating and requires a totally different approach than any other gundog breed.

I have participated in spaniel training for a number of years with trialling boys who know their stuff, some of the best in the business.

My advice to you as a first time spaniel man is not to get too wrapped up in how many FTCHs there are on the papers. Trialling lads like dogs wired to the moon that they can peg down from 6 months onwards - you want a biddable wee thing that wants to work for YOU.

Go to a big pheasant shoot and find the man that can get his spaniel doing figure of 8 quatering in at his feet :laugh: and try and get something off him.

Spaniels can ALWAYS be wound up to hunt better, fater and more stylish - as a beginner it's trying to peg the feckers down.

If you hit the nail on the head with cockers they can be brilliant little dogs and as keen as you like, but IMO you would do better with a springer first.

I hope this helps you make a decision that will shape your experience with gundogs and try your patience to the limits :thumbs:

Anything else - feel free to PM me.

FTB

"Unbelievable Advice FTB" would like to hit on the too hot to handle, its a compete pain in the rectum, i have a bitch who was too hot to handle for myself as a first springer, she isn't full of ftch's but by god can she go. I hate that i couldn't do her justice wish I knew better at the time, I now have a youngster which i am running on which is a dream. I lead the way and he follows, hopefully he will make a good dog! As Dan says watch the parents that will be a decent indicator!