Jack Russells

Guest AngelicAcid

What I meant was the ratio of patts to the amount of good wokers that make the grade,

To the amount of JRs that make good workers.

Its hard to explain what i mean, hopefully someone will be able to put it in sompler terms.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

there are good working russels without the x's. the x's are no doubt also very good.   waidmann

This is my bitch -     From out of Pengelli/Silkwood lines. She's about 11 month old now, I shall be trying her next season, so fingers crossed.

Posted Images

What I meant was the ratio of patts to the amount of good wokers that make the grade,

Its hard to explain what i mean, hopefully someone will be able to put it in sompler terms.

what i think you are trying to say is not many blacks dont make the grade,whether they be hard or the bay type where as many a russell dont even make the bay type.way too many an old dear have a russell there for many a lad are selling to these customers.

Guest AngelicAcid

Well yes, I was trying to say that, but am i right in thinking that if a jr is bred out of decent stuff, would the ratio be higher or lower.

You dont get many jrs bred out of good stuff, so the percentage will be higher that would make decent workers. say 1 out of every 10.

but on a black scale, that could convert to 1 in every 40. Because more blacks are been bred.

You would have far less choice of whites than blacks then.

But there are a lot of patts bred or supposedly bred off good dogs, that dont make it.

Are the standards that you require of blacks higher than what you would expect of whites?

I know colour doesnt matter to some, but there are some that wont keep anything but black(not aimed at you DABCHICK.)

But why, if it works to a standard expected of a colour?

Sorry just trying to get it out, not sure if i did though. :wallbash:

ive just got a jack russell pup hulme parckin bred going to give it a go.

wouldnt pin your hopes on a dog bred from this breeding mate,seen 2 this season fail after good starts,not knocking you and hope it comes good,but even if this happens (comes good and makes the grade) wouldnt consider breeding from it at a later date,but put it this way i would be looking for something else of similar age from better WORKING blood as a backup in case what ive seen happens to you

regards

Edited by moi654321

If you bred a litter of very good blacks and a litter of very good russels the percentages would more than likely be the same if brought on correctly.

Its trying to find a good line of honest working russels - there are a few about - but you have to look and know people.

I could get my hands on any number of good black dogs without stressing too much - I have to do a 400 mile round trip to get my russell bitch lined.

IMO, a good working russel will always be superior to a patt - russells were the original digging dogs.

I think thats what your asking AA :thumbs:

FTB

If you bred a litter of very good blacks and a litter of very good russels the percentages would more than likely be the same if brought on correctly.

Its trying to find a good line of honest working russels - there are a few about - but you have to look and know people.

I could get my hands on any number of good black dogs without stressing too much - I have to do a 400 mile round trip to get my russell bitch lined.

IMO, a good working russel will always be superior to a patt - russells were the original digging dogs.

I think thats what your asking AA :thumbs:

FTB

correct me if im wrong but the russell was the original hunt terrier.would that not be a bayer to bolt

"Are the standards that you require of blacks higher than what you would expect of whites?"

Other way about from my point of view. A pig on a leash is easy to find - a good working terrier is a different kettle of fish.

IMO there is more to a terrier than walking it to a hole on a lead and digging it back out - but this probably comes from the way I work my dogs and the ground i work them on.

FTB

FTB

correct me if im wrong but the russell was the original hunt terrier.would that not be a bayer to bolt

No mate. In the first instance russell types were the digging dogs used on both quarry.

Lakies and fell types were the foxing terriers.

Things have changed somewhat now.

FTB

Well yes, I was trying to say that, but am i right in thinking that if a jr is bred out of decent stuff, would the ratio be higher or lower.

You dont get many jrs bred out of good stuff, so the percentage will be higher that would make decent workers. say 1 out of every 10.

but on a black scale, that could convert to 1 in every 40. Because more blacks are been bred.

You would have far less choice of whites than blacks then.

But there are a lot of patts bred or supposedly bred off good dogs, that dont make it.

Are the standards that you require of blacks higher than what you would expect of whites?

I know colour doesnt matter to some, but there are some that wont keep anything but black(not aimed at you DABCHICK.)

But why, if it works to a standard expected of a colour?

Sorry just trying to get it out, not sure if i did though. :wallbash:

standards are no higher of either.at the end of the day,each of us are wanting the terrier to make our grade,that is to work.

FTB

No mate. In the first instance russell types were the digging dogs used on both quarry.

Lakies and fell types were the foxing terriers.

Things have changed somewhat now.

FTB

i didnt say they wasnt used on both quarry.how far are you going back regarding the lakey/fell types being the main foxing terriers? as a hunt terrier,that master would require the fox to be bolted(unless otherwise told to dispatch)for the hounds to continue to hunt.im sure if anything,the lakey/fell types where in the norm hard to their fox,not unlike many strains today.....

i didnt say they wasnt used on both quarry.how far are you going back regarding the lakey/fell types being the main foxing terriers? as a hunt terrier,that master would require the fox to be bolted(unless otherwise told to dispatch)for the hounds to continue to hunt.im sure if anything,the lakey/fell types where in the norm hard to their fox,not unlike many strains today.....

Going way back mate.

FTB

Going way back mate.

FTB

then surely the russell was that original hunt terrier then(by the way i only have the blacks).

FTB

then surely the russell was that original hunt terrier then(by the way i only have the blacks).

Not neccisarilly. They were the digging dogs, others were bred for the hunt as well as russells.

By the way I only have whites :icon_redface:

The black dogs you will have now are not the kind of dogs they were years ago.

FTB

Oh I see what you mean, I couldn't tell ya.