training spaniel to flush to lurcher

hi all

might be the wrong section....but read the gundog section and bought a couple of books..but they dont seem to give the advice i want...

i have just got a cocker pup 8 months old and want to train the pup to flush to my lurcher..any ideas were i start...or what books to get

regards Paul

i have a springer that i use along with the lurcher, dont know of any books dedicated to training for this type of use, mostly for use with gun. a good book to get though is joe irving - ' training spaniels', personally think he speaks a lot of sense. hope this is some use to you atb

i have a springer that i use along with the lurcher, dont know of any books dedicated to training for this type of use, mostly for use with gun. a good book to get though is joe irving - ' training spaniels', personally think he speaks a lot of sense. hope this is some use to you atb

hi mate,

have bought the book ...but not sure how to put what he says into practice to flush to lurcher...it may be me being dense....

in my experience mate they train themselves the method whilst out teamwork and 2 dogs learn to work with each other often getting it down to a fine art ie. the lurcher keeping an eye on where the busher is knowing where to stand, the spaniel learning to (push out) realizing it will have a better chance of a catch or rag atb jamie

in my experience mate they train themselves the method whilst out teamwork and 2 dogs learn to work with each other often getting it down to a fine art ie. the lurcher keeping an eye on where the busher is knowing where to stand, the spaniel learning to (push out) realizing it will have a better chance of a catch or rag atb jamie

I agree.I have two lurchers that work together like this.Ones good in cover.Didnt take long for the other to learn to stay out of the cover & see what comes out.the only thing i did was to keep him by my side for the first half dozen times so he could see what was going on.Dogs are a pack animal so working as a pack should come natural.Just need to guide them in right direction.Good luck Kev.

The best way to train it for this kind of work Paul is to do it mate, the more time spent together the more they will work as a team, the pup also needs to build its confidence in cover and the best way is somewhere with plenty of rabbits, so the pup can get a good luck at what its hunting also to hopefuly get a few in its mouth, if the pup is not getting into the cover yet get it out ferreting so it will get a good luck at a few, let it chase them to get it real keen.

I do alot of this type of hunting with Lurchers Gundogs and Terriers (grat sport)

Any questions, just give me a shout mate.

Dave.

The best way to train it for this kind of work Paul is to do it mate, the more time spent together the more they will work as a team, the pup also needs to build its confidence in cover and the best way is somewhere with plenty of rabbits, so the pup can get a good luck at what its hunting also to hopefuly get a few in its mouth, if the pup is not getting into the cover yet get it out ferreting so it will get a good luck at a few, let it chase them to get it real keen.

I do alot of this type of hunting with Lurchers Gundogs and Terriers (grat sport)

Any questions, just give me a shout mate.

Dave.

thanks for all the advice,

i normally get out with the dogs about once a day and see quite a few rabbits..the lucher goes into cover the spaniel seems to be holding back a little ...but she is young ...think the best thing to start with would perhaps take them both out but keep the lurcher close on lead ?

this may be wrong but i am willing to listen to advice

regards paul

Like you have said keep the lurcher close to you preferably on a slip so it dosent distract the spaniel.Its the time of the year [bANNED TEXT] the cover is growing rapidley wich will slow the spaniel up especially a young one.atvb dell

Yeh let her hunt at her own pace, remember she is still very young so dont be too disappointed if she is not hitting cover hard yet, she will in her own time and then you will have a great little bushing team, if you have any mates with bushing terriers that may spur her on and let her know what its all about will help, but remember its all about building her confidence so no aggressive terriers that will do her confidence more harm than good.

ATB

Dave.

she's only 8 mths old mate try not to expect to much from her , i would be concentrating on other aspects like steadying her up presuming you don't want her running in when she flushes, the hunting will come naturaly but she is young. how is she bred ??

she's only 8 mths old mate try not to expect to much from her , i would be concentrating on other aspects like steadying her up presuming you don't want her running in when she flushes, the hunting will come naturaly but she is young. how is she bred ??

hi mate...she is bred from working cocker stock..have seen the bitch she is from..but not the sire...she was a returned pup...gun shy i was told, she has just been kept on a farm and not taken out for a couple of months..so i have been concentrating on getting her fit...when i first got her after being out for 20 mins she seemed to me to become a little clumsy on her feet ...now she cant get enough and runs rings rond me and the lurcher when we go out...how do you steady a spaniel?

Its exactly the same as training it to flush to the gun, only you wont need to train her to retrieve as the lurcher will hopefully be doing that bit.

Jai.

spot on there mate. work my lurcher with spaniels which we just trained to the gun. great partnership

post-43216-127383609083_thumb.jpg