Help with training please

mate i wouldnt even let him see a gun until he is rock steady, you need the basics obedience wise or its a lost cause with spaniels (they are really terriers in disguise :thumbs: )

i would get acces to a rabbit pen as well if you can for when he is about a year old just to get him steady, in his second year only work him with a steady dog.

all the best he is a lovely pup

cheers mate,

what is the rabbit pen all about? and what does it achieve? new to this game you see

i made the mistake that you are about to make .....there is no need to enter it to game until it is rock steady with all its training....mine was shown rabbits too early and now is quite hard to handle,,ranges too far out etc ..i would just work on getting the pup really steady on all the basic commands...i introduced mine to dead game and it made training harder as it wasnt interested in ball or dummy...i had to start again and go back to basics with dummy work....i know its hard to wait but its better if you do

very good advice, follow this and you will not go wrong.

i made the mistake that you are about to make .....there is no need to enter it to game until it is rock steady with all its training....mine was shown rabbits too early and now is quite hard to handle,,ranges too far out etc ..i would just work on getting the pup really steady on all the basic commands...i introduced mine to dead game and it made training harder as it wasnt interested in ball or dummy...i had to start again and go back to basics with dummy work....i know its hard to wait but its better if you do

very good advice, follow this and you will not go wrong.

will do, thnks. need to ask where do you guys buy your dummies from? is it possible to make a couple 1 feather one fur and them still have the same effect. Im not gonna use them yet but just for future reference?

cheers

lee

• 2 weeks later...

PUT THE DUMMY'S AWAY !!

Sit stop heal and recall are all you need for 12 months ! And only when the dog is rock steady on all of them start reteving dummy's.

A dog that retrives to early and to much will run in to shot and range to far ahead . Early entry of gundogs is the path to a free hunting pain in the arse.

Rabbit pens are a double edged sword they introduce dogs to a distraction, Wher the handler should be able to control the dog. If you have a HOT or unsteady dog you will be running around the pen and getting very stresed [ been ther done that]

The Books are very good BUT offer a general picture of training but they are useually written by a very experianced dog trainer and he/she will change the training of every dog they have before them differently.

Take your time and polish sit stop heal and recal until it is perfect then you can undo all you thought was drummed into the dog by introduceing it to GAME :icon_eek:

ATB Coldweld