I had another go at a pic of the dog running .. its a little bit better than the other day .. the other thing is i need the sensor cleaning on this camera .. can that effect how it focuses because i have tried to focus on a tin in the kitchen with no obstructions & its taken a while to get the focus

could this be down to it needing cleaning

I had another go at a pic of the dog running .. its a little bit better than the other day .. the other thing is i need the sensor cleaning on this camera .. can that effect how it focuses because i have tried to focus on a tin in the kitchen with no obstructions & its taken a while to get the focus

Getting better Kay :) The dirt on the sensor is unlikely to affect the focusing system. The only real problem it causes is fuzzy blots on your pics when you use apertures smaller than f8. The dust spots show up on blue skies worst of all.

In this pic the dog is running away and it looks as if the camera couldn't keep up as it's focused on the grass in the foreground. Remember it's not just the camera, the lens also has a bearing on focus speed. You'll have more success if you're sideways on to the dog and following the movement with the camera.

AF systems need good light and a bit of contrast to work well and the closer you are to the subject the more tricky it is. I often use manual focus for macro shots. Once again, the better quality the lens, the better the focus system...

Getting better Kay :) The dirt on the sensor is unlikely to affect the focusing system. The only real problem it causes is fuzzy blots on your pics when you use apertures smaller than f8. The dust spots show up on blue skies worst of all.

In this pic the dog is running away and it looks as if the camera couldn't keep up as it's focused on the grass in the foreground. Remember it's not just the camera, the lens also has a bearing on focus speed. You'll have more success if you're sideways on to the dog and following the movement with the camera.

AF systems need good light and a bit of contrast to work well and the closer you are to the subject the more tricky it is. I often use manual focus for macro shots. Once again, the better quality the lens, the better the focus system...

Its the skys in other pics that have marks on them .. some i can crop out .. is the cleaning best left to a shop to do for me .. i dont want to mess inside the camera to be honest but it does need cleaning

Its the skys in other pics that have marks on them .. some i can crop out .. is the cleaning best left to a shop to do for me .. i dont want to mess inside the camera to be honest but it does need cleaning

Probably best to get it cleaned at a camera shop if you're not confident about doing it yourself. Most places charge around 25 - 35 quid.

If you do decide to tackle the job yourself make sure the battery is fully charged (you really don't want the mirror coming down when you're poking about in there!!!! :icon_eek: ) and start with one of these - rocket blower don't use the cheapie little puffer brushes because they can put more hairs and dust on the sensor than when you started! Hold the camera facing downwards and blast a bit of air over the sensor, being very careful not to actually touch it with the nozzle of the blower. That will probably shift some of the dust and you may find it's enough.

Try and resist the temptation to dab the sensor with lens fluid and a cotton bud, some have succeeded with that method, many more have lovely smears across sensors or cleaning fluid seeping under the glass filter covering the actual filter... :o

Most of the commercial sensor cleaning kits (brushes, pads, etc) are stupidly over-priced, and tbh I don't worry about it too much, because I know that next time I change lenses there's going to be more dust again. Pollen is the worst, that sticks like nothing on earth, so try not to change lens in the middle of a rapefield on a windy day :)

Probably best to get it cleaned at a camera shop if you're not confident about doing it yourself. Most places charge around 25 - 35 quid.

If you do decide to tackle the job yourself make sure the battery is fully charged (you really don't want the mirror coming down when you're poking about in there!!!! :icon_eek: ) and start with one of these - rocket blower don't use the cheapie little puffer brushes because they can put more hairs and dust on the sensor than when you started! Hold the camera facing downwards and blast a bit of air over the sensor, being very careful not to actually touch it with the nozzle of the blower. That will probably shift some of the dust and you may find it's enough.

Try and resist the temptation to dab the sensor with lens fluid and a cotton bud, some have succeeded with that method, many more have lovely smears across sensors or cleaning fluid seeping under the glass filter covering the actual filter... :o

Most of the commercial sensor cleaning kits (brushes, pads, etc) are stupidly over-priced, and tbh I don't worry about it too much, because I know that next time I change lenses there's going to be more dust again. Pollen is the worst, that sticks like nothing on earth, so try not to change lens in the middle of a rapefield on a windy day :)

Thanks for that Kathy i will get the shop to have a look at it i think this time :laugh: