how do you like to start your pup???

well lads i was just wondering how you like to start your pup off....

do you lads like to have a pup out from a very young age watching the older dogs lamping and ferreting??(i dont mean doing the hunting itself but just out having a look and learning)

or do you not show it a thing until you think its mature enough???

which do you think is the best way to get you pup started off???

cheers craig

Edited by craigheff

do you lads like to have a pup out from a very young age watching the older dogs lamping and ferreting??(i dont mean doing the hunting itself but just out having a look and learning)

cheers craig

i personally start them when i think they are mature enough the problem with taking them out to young could start them off yapping through frustration

cheers craig

i personally start them when i think they are mature enough the problem with taking them out to young could start them off yapping through frustration

thanks for the reply thumbs.gif im not really sure which way i think is right as my first lurcher is only six months but i suppose i can only learn from my mistakes...

Young dogs if not mature enough will yap and make a right ding dong on their first trips out, not good if your lamping.

I normally start by giving them small runs on their own so that it becomes a game, after a few runs I will take them with an experianced dog and let them watch, because they have been out before they are less likely to yap and if they become excited I slip them after slipping the kill dog. I have been fortunate in that all my dogs have not been barkers, in fact our yard was robbed and they never even barked once :no:

Training will depend on the dog and its nature and your patience to accept that they probably will not get close for some time.

When they come back to you on call or whistle always give them loads of praise, in no time at all you will be on the way to having a good rabbiting dog

cheers craig

thanks for the reply thumbs.gif im not really sure which way i think is right as my first lurcher is only six months but i suppose i can only learn from my mistakes...

you can mate your right but just take your time i like a dog to get its own mind before takeing it out working with others as this will stop it picking up bad habits and if you are stuck with anything just ask on here

just wait till its older and get the dog used to the ferrets at a early age and you should not have any probs when you decide to take it out ferreting .

just get the basics done for now recall and retrieving sitting and so on then the rest will be easier when the time comes atb jenna

cheers craig

you can mate your right but just take your time i like a dog to get its own mind before takeing it out working with others as this will stop it picking up bad habits and if you are stuck with anything just ask on here

just wait till its older and get the dog used to the ferrets at a early age and you should not have any probs when you decide to take it out ferreting .

just get the basics done for now recall and retrieving sitting and so on then the rest will be easier when the time comes atb jenna

thanks for the advice jenna..some good genuine people on here thumbs.gif

cheers craig

cheers craig

thanks for the advice jenna..some good genuine people on here thumbs.gif

cheers craig

thats not a problem craig atb with your pup keep us posted jenna

i buy a pup give it 24-48 hours of bonding time with me, then its straight out lamping with my old dog watching and learning from as young as possible.

and i take it this has been working well for you??

have you had and problems with yapping or pups getting frustrated??

i buy a pup give it 24-48 hours of bonding time with me, then its straight out lamping with my old dog watching and learning from as young as possible.

ive never experienced any problems with it as of yet. The dog i have at the moement is coming up to 6years old he has never yapped on any quarry. i have another little bitch that i got give me at 5 months old so i never started her as early as i would like yaps her head off when chasing quarry. i think some dogs will yapp behind there quarry and some wont regardless of the age you start them. i would say the amount of quarry you run and how hard it is to catch plays a major part in weather a young dog is a yapper or not.

Edited by Trigger

Mine are purely just happy pups with basic training being taught, they may have a run or two in the daytime if the others put something up but nothing major, then around 10-12 month old they go out for a couple of nights a week with an older, experienced dog who knows the job to show them the ropes then gradually let them on their own, they soon pick up and i haven't ever had a yapper yet, well i've only brought up 4 lol.

are u around sunday might give me fella a run on a few bolters

i always start my dogs at about 7 half to 8 months old i rather start them off lampin because ive seen a couple of my mate dogs get took out ferreting when they are pups and let them hunt up to get courses and when they start them off at lamping they take the piss coming in because they think they hav to hunt up for there rabbits so i start them off lamping so as soon as the lamp gets turned off they come straight back and the same happens in day time bacuse when they miss they no to come straighht back

i always start my dogs at about 7 half to 8 months old i rather start them off lampin because ive seen a couple of my mate dogs get took out ferreting when they are pups and let them hunt up to get courses and when they start them off at lamping they take the piss coming in because they think they hav to hunt up for there rabbits so i start them off lamping so as soon as the lamp gets turned off they come straight back and the same happens in day time bacuse when they miss they no to come straighht back

think ill start my lad something similar mate..give him a few easy ones around 9 or 10 months are gradually build up the work from there...