decoying magpies not pigeons

theres loads of callers out there, all saying they are the best on the market, a guy on pigeon watch has tested a few, with dire results, and I myself have the "achme crow caller" which sounds like a demented donald duck,

anyway, after lots of looking and searching u tube, I found a guy called corvussam, a member of pigeon watch, living in belguim and a maker of crow and magpie calls, one of his calls, is called a MID (magpie in distress) and the u tube clip shows in sending magpie's nutts, as Ive recently put together a large owl decoy, with a dead magpie decoy in its grasp, I thought this caller would do the buisness, so contacted the guy and bought one via e bay, after the exchange rate it came to £22 inc postage, the instructions were sent immeadiatly via e mail, along with a life time gurantee, and the call arrived today,

I think you'll always feel a bit of a plonker, sitting in the garden, blowing a call, while your missus laughs at you :icon_redface: , but I had to pop out in the car, so took it with me, to practise on the journey.

if you just blow from the mouth, the sound could be mistaken for a crow, but once you'vre practise the "gargling" or coughing technique that is recomended, this call becomes 100% the best Ive ever heard, the best way I can describe it, would be, if you were to try coughing, or clearing your throat WITHOUT opening your mouth, around 6 to 10 blasts sounds so realistic to a magpie in distress, the tones can be changed by holding the end with a cupped hand, and then opening/closing your grasp

this call definatly get the thumbs up from me :clapper:

so Ive got a trip planned for friday, I'll take the decoys and call, and give a update on it then

post-5267-127246900375_thumb.jpg

I have one of sams crow callers and agree they have one of the best sounds out there, you just have to practice the technique, have turned crows in at graet distance with this :thumbs:

your correct on the practise, I was using the back of throat "gargling" technique, and thought it was giving a good call, after around 3 hrs, I had figured out how to use the "stomach" air as he demostrates on u tube, and its a totally different call

saying that, yesterday was a total waste, hardly a bird in the sky :wallbash:

I have one of sams crow callers and agree they have one of the best sounds out there, you just have to practice the technique, have turned crows in at graet distance with this :thumbs:

your correct on the practise, I was using the back of throat "gargling" technique, and thought it was giving a good call, after around 3 hrs, I had figured out how to use the "stomach" air as he demostrates on u tube, and its a totally different call

saying that, yesterday was a total waste, hardly a bird in the sky :wallbash:

Can you put the link up of the video thinking about getting a magpie caller ive tried the pellets in a matchbox and it does not work lol