rough collie x

just wondering why rough collies are not used to breed lurchers i dont have a great knowlage of the breed and maybe some of you could explain why they are not used to breed lurchers???

any ever have this cross or seen this cross work???

where they any good???

looking forward to reading replys from people that know more about the breed than me thumbs.gif

cheers craig

Yes, I heard of them being bred by the local travellers here and there was a lassie collie in the council estate where they lived which is what they had used. They werent very good, so I heard.

The lassie collies had some Borzoi bred into them to make them more luxurious for the show ring. This destroyed the breed. Better off with a pure working collie :thumbs:

ye he was adreamer to mate lassie was one of the best collies ive saw but a far cry from the ones now they were called scottish rough haired colies i think, if the dogs now wre like lasie we would all have one mate ,to the tune of gree sleeves lol lol

Rough collies....not really known for their IQ or anything else really...oh apart from Lassie....who was in fact a male dog.

is this little gem from personal experience?

What a strange comment...Yes, i have handled quite a few of them in the past.., most were also quite slow to resond to commands, where as shelties on the other hand are very skittish dogs that are highly strung.. :victory:

Edited by wuyang

we have had rough collies here that would bush, rat, ferret and take rabbits on the lamp as well as do well at the shows

they were my mothers show dogs that i use to "exercise" for her

if she knew half the crack they got up to i would be shot

I would agree that some are brainless wonders, but aren't there in every breed?

I would agree with you whole-heartedly on the shelties, my aunt used to breed them, some would take the eye out of your head

shelties on the other hand are very skittish dogs that are highly strung.. :victory:

My fecking arse can bear testament as to how skittish some working farm border collies can be too! :icon_eek::yes::laugh:

Edited by maltenby

just wondering why rough collies are not used to breed lurchers i dont have a great knowlage of the breed and maybe some of you could explain why they are not used to breed lurchers???

any ever have this cross or seen this cross work???

where they any good???

looking forward to reading replys from people that know more about the breed than me thumbs.gif

cheers craig

Nothing to do with this thread, but I have noticed you have a photo of my dog as your profile pic. Why is this, don't you have a photo of your own to put up?