small dogs????

what do you think of small lurchers that are between 18" and 20"tts???..

do you think being this small restricts them in top end speed??..

can lurchers this size make decent ferreting/lamping dogs???

my dog at a push might make 19/20"tts so just wondering what your opinion is...either way i dont mind if hes no world beater id just like to hear your opinions on lurchers this size...

hopefully you guys could give me some good answers and if anyone has a pic of lurchers 18 and 20" that would be great thumbs.gif

cheers craig

Guest jt750

Most of the whippets we started with were under 21 inches and they did fine on rabbits ...they tend to be very fast getting to their quarry so are ideal for smaller land but still perform well on larger land. Small in size big in heart comes to mind.

You usually find that the vast majority of people who criticise whippet crosses have never seen one working and are basing their opinion on misconceptions.

Also, one criticism levelled at them is that they can't catch a rabbit if they have to run more than, for example, 50 yards. What the people who make these comments seem unaware of is that, in some areas of the country, hedges are rarely more than 50 yards apart so runs are usually of the "short sharp burst" nature. Where I live, most of the rabbits are caught either in or very close to cover and a rabbit in the middle of a field, giving the maximum possible length of run, is rarely more than 100' from safety.

You usually find that the vast majority of people who criticise whippet crosses have never seen one working and are basing their opinion on misconceptions.

Also, one criticism levelled at them is that they can't catch a rabbit if they have to run more than, for example, 50 yards. What the people who make these comments seem unaware of is that, in some areas of the country, hedges are rarely more than 50 yards apart so runs are usually of the "short sharp burst" nature. Where I live, most of the rabbits are caught either in or very close to cover and a rabbit in the middle of a field, giving the maximum possible length of run, is rarely more than 100' from safety.

Very true. In these situations its more about the dog being in the right place at the right time.

what do you think of small lurchers that are between 18" and 20"tts???..

do you think being this small restricts them in top end speed??..

can lurchers this size make decent ferreting/lamping dogs???

my dog at a push might make 19/20"tts so just wondering what your opinion is...either way i dont mind if hes no world beater id just like to hear your opinions on lurchers this size...

hopefully you guys could give me some good answers and if anyone has a pic of lurchers 18 and 20" that would be great thumbs.gif

cheers craig

Hows yours bred?

Forget the size its what its made of that counts

ive seen some beddy/whippets that have performed very well and done things that the owner of a large lurcher would be more than happy with, some small dogs can do o.k

I could agree with you more there mate, as my pal runs a Beddy/Whippet x Greyhound and she stands 20 1/2" and has a heart the size of a lion. She has done things on quarry that most dogs her size wouldnt dream of, but ATB Craig.

Luke.

Some of the best lamping dogs i have seen run the lamp and work have been on the small side my pal had a dog off my old man years ago when it was a pup she was a terrier cross whippet we think she would pick bunny after bunny up rat, have the odd raynard and she would pull deer just as good as the larger dogs she had the heart of a lion and there has been stories of her going to ground on fox she died at the age of 15 good bitch :thumbs: