what to do?.

Hullo mate I think any beginner to longnetting would do very well to get themselves a copy of Martin Kings Longnetting from peg to peg before they start spending any more of thier hard earned cash .

Apart from being a bloody good read it's very informative . :thumbs:

ATB

thumbs.gif hi all, Im a complete novice icon_redface.gif to long netting. It sounds great fun and would love to have a go. what are the basic principles or any tips. A few pictures would be helpful. Thanks in advance thumbs.gif .

FUNno.gif more like hard fekin work at night time any way.Read up on it before buying espensive netsthumbs.gif

agree 100% with longnetter,i bought this book and iam a complete novice,it gave me the confidence and a little knowledge on setting up my net ,to be able to go out and give it a try,at the moment iam only practising running out my net and bringing it back in again,this i hope will give me a good start when the season starts for me in september,you can buy the book online at the BOOK DEPOSITRY it's only about 8 or 9 quid and they do a free delivery,hope this helps ATBthumbs.gif

FFS anyone would think the fella was about to purchase a space craft and learn how to launch it! :icon_eek:

Just go and get yourself a decent net, some decent poles, put it together and get out there!

ROCKET SCIENCE it is not!

A decent reply I think, but I'm sure without someone to show you, the book might help.

Keep it simple though, buy a 25 yard net as a 100 yd'r will piss you off early doors, and you'll probably not use it as mush as the shorter, lighter easier to use ones.

I went out a couple of times with a mate, then just read the posts on here and rabbiters. From there I made up my own, buying sheet netting, knitting my own selvedge rows, sourcing my own hazel pegs and making my own basket. I now run a 50 yd'r and a couple of 30 yd'rs.

I learned so much from making up my own, that I felt confident enough just to go out learn from my own mistakes. I find it easier than laying numerous purse nets and my dogs have also learned a new technique, although it took a few repairs before they got the picture. :wallbash:

I'm still probably rubbish, but I'm happily rubbish.

Edited by tdavepat

Ask if there is anyone local to you on this site, who is in to longnetting, and if so, could you tag along for a timeor two, and learn the ropes... It is much easier to watch someone who has done it before...

You could just go by trial and error, after all they are only rabbits you'd be losing for the first few times, thats if you do get it wrong. As is said, learn by your mistakes...

Hullo mate I think any beginner to longnetting would do very well to get themselves a copy of Martin Kings Longnetting from peg to peg before they start spending any more of thier hard earned cash .

Apart from being a bloody good read it's very informative . :thumbs:

ATB

do you have shares in the book

all joking aside martins book is well worth a read

anyone heard how hes getting on

atb

http://www.bookdepos...g&search=search

Fantastic book and well worth a read. And i think this is the cheapest you will get. I got it from them and it took three or four days but at nearly half the price of others delivered i could wait those couple of days. Plus it was over the bank holiday long weekend so not bad at all. I'm new to longnetting as well and as the book will tell you take your time and practice and get the net sorted before you go out it will be alot easier. As for getting out and about I think order a quick set net system and get the book at the same time and read and then do. It will be the only way to get it done, and you will learn so much from doing as oppose to reading, but it is wise to get a basic knowledge of how to do it first and what order to do things in which this book is very good for. I would recommend a 50 yarder and practice on a playing field or football pitch on a calm day and get used to the tension of the net and collecting and setting first before you go out. There will be no rush the rabbits will still be there. Then by the time the winter comes you could write your own book. If you like it and fancy being a purist you could then make or buy a traditional net.