jill jab

ive had ferrets this time round about 4 years and always had a jill jab a chap i know is new to keeping ferrets when i told him about the jabs yesterday said he's not having them done if the ferret dies it dies i dont like this chap anyway i took him out ferreting for two seasons showed him the ropes then he got a load of good permission and went and got his own ferrets and never gave me a thought anyway thats up to him .Just one thing will his ferrets really die as i didn't have mine jabbed years ago

The problem with not bringing jills out of season is that it leaves them vunerable to infections, in the long term it has been blamed for the onset of oesteoperosis (bet I spelt that wrong) i any case it's not the responsible thing to do is it ?

ATB

.Just one thing will his ferrets really die as i didn't have mine jabbed years ago

and did yours die due to it :hmm:

probably not, its an old wives tale that "THEY WILL DIE" but as already stated, a jill in season throughout summer, combined with dirty cage floors only spells trouble, and a swollen vulva ia a good entry point for infection

sounds like you have a little chip on your shoulder, instead you should try being the better person, Ive taken loads of new members out to permissions, never to get return invites,

but I dont slate them for it

what did he do different to get all this permission, that you did'nt do

.Just one thing will his ferrets really die as i didn't have mine jabbed years ago

and did yours die due to it :hmm:

probably not, its an old wives tale that "THEY WILL DIE" but as already stated, a jill in season throughout summer, combined with dirty cage floors only spells trouble, and a swollen vulva ia a good entry point for infection

sounds like you have a little chip on your shoulder, instead you should try being the better person, Ive taken loads of new members out to permissions, never to get return invites,

but I dont slate them for it

what did he do different to get all this permission, that you did'nt do

Stubby mate, I lost a Jill quite a few years ago due to her not being took out of season, it's a well documented fact that the jills hormones can kill her if she isn't brought out of season due to a condition called aplastic anemia when she died she wasn't in a dirty cage at all either.

Edited by John-B

Aplastic anemia is a life-threatening illness that can affect a variety of animals including ferrets. Affecting only female ferrets (jills), this disorder occurs when the ferret is in season or in heat for an extended amount of time. These estrogen levels inhibit the bone marrow from generating enough red and white blood cells and platelets leading to anemia and infections. A lower platelet level can also cause bleeding internally.

During the heat cycle, estrogen levels are raised and do not begin to fall until she has either become pregnant, experiences a false pregnancy, or has been given a hormone injection. When a jill has not been spayed or bred during a heat cycle, she has an increased chance of developing aplastic anemia. While the jill is in season, owners should keep careful watch over their ferrets for any symptoms that lead to this disorder.

The beginning symptoms of aplastic anemia can include alopecia (hair loss) which may be in spots or complete baldness. A ferret may also experience bouts of lethargy, loss of appetite, weakness in the rear extremities and the gums may have a pale appearance. When caught in the early stages, the disease can be reversed and a ferret shouldn't have any long term affects.

During the later stages of this disease, the vulva will typically emit a discharge that has a foul odor. It is during the later stages of aplastic anemia that the bone marrow becomes damaged and the ferret generally succumbs to the disease. Owners who are not aware of this disorder may believe their ferret has a simple illness that will go away with time. By the time the illness has become serious, it is too late for treatment which leads to the loss of a beloved pet.

Treatments for aplastic anemia can vary depending upon the seriousness and at what stage the disease was caught. If diagnosed during the early stages, simply having a jill spayed can mean the difference in life or death of the ferret. A veterinarian may also prescribe medications, vitamins, and IV fluids as supportive care. Blood transfusions are sometimes required in more serious cases.

One of the most important factors in pet ownership is knowing when your pet is ill. Become aware of your pet's typical behaviors and characteristics so you will know early on if your pet is experiencing some type of illness. Whenever a pet ferret is experiencing the symptoms of this disease, seek expert care immediately from an experienced ferret veterinarian. It is also highly recommended for owners who do not intend on breeding their ferrets, to have their female ferrets spayed which will prevent several diseases including aplastic anemia.