wannabe keepers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some lads new to the sport need educated but its a worry some may try to return behind your back on the permition you have worked so hard to obtain and ruin it not only for yourself but also to the qu

I'll correct you mate. Most pheasant keepers arent (IMO)that hot with terriers unless they also do it for recrreational purposes.   Grouse keepers on the other hand could more than likely show some

KEEPER BRED WHICH MEANS NOWT MOST FOXES ARE SNARED SHOT WITH BIG RIFLE TERRIER WORK LITTLE BUT EVERYONE TO THERE OWN BEEN ASKED MANY TIMES WANT SOMMET TO STAY 10 MINS OR MAYBE 20 TOPS WANT TO CALL IT OFF AND IF IT DONT BOLT RE ENTER THEN WANT TERRIER TO DO THIS DO THAT RIGHT :laugh: REGARDS DABBER

Edited by DABCHICK

hi to all u digging men ime new to computers but not terrier work. why do small time game keepers insist on trying to do pest controle themselfs. now the seasons more or less over for me i have a wannabe keeper on the land adjoining land i walk my terriers, i came across this chap just this morning with two of his so called professional terrir men scatching ther heads. now i no that it wasnt any of my business. but seeing terriers working i had to investigate,on aproaching them he got very difensive towords me, i no now why. thay had enterd 2 terriers (illegal)pluss no locators and only a 12bore. and no nets. i offered my services but got told thay knew [bANNED TEXT] thay was up to. i no the spot from my younger days when i wos up for a bit of poaching, it run between 6ft to 15ft. why do people double up terriers and without locators. thers no excuses, what makes it worse these chaps are well known at terrier shows. it pisses me of [bANNED TEXT] these guys give are younger collegues advise. i just hope the terriers wos ok. thay dont deserve terriers if thay cant work them properly

MOST KEEPERS KNOW f**k ALL ABOUT TERRIER WORK BUT THINK THEY DO AINT GOT TIME LOL REGARDS DABBER

Most keepers are smart enough to get some other silly sod to dig holes for them :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

which suits me.

it wud suit us if the keepers just stuck 2 [bANNED TEXT] thay do best feed ther birds n such n leave well alone [bANNED TEXT] thay no nothing about, diggings totaly diffarant to acting the lord on shoot days. the proper keepers make the [bANNED TEXT] fone calls n do the job propely pioson wotever but terriers wi no locators.come on. hope ther on this forum t****rs tha no who thay are :thumbdown:

it wud suit us if the keepers just stuck 2 [bANNED TEXT] thay do best feed ther birds n such n leave well alone [bANNED TEXT] thay no nothing about, diggings totaly diffarant to acting the lord on shoot days. the proper keepers make the [bANNED TEXT] fone calls n do the job propely pioson wotever but terriers wi no locators.come on. hope ther on this forum t****rs tha no who thay are :thumbdown:

Thats a broad statement, I keeper and work my terriers as often as i can and expect them to work on their own to a decent standard, I,ve been out with hunt terriermen who double up and don't seem to worry if a dog comes off its quarry, so its like everything you get good and bad....

WELL FELLAS ,

I DO KNOW A FEW DEDICATED TERRIERMEN THAT ARE KEEPERS .....

BUT ....... ON THE WHOLE ...........

KEEPERS ARE VERY POOR IN REGARDS TO TERRIERS AND TRAPPING ...

MOST THESE DAYS WOULD BE LOST WITHOUT A RIFLE AND A LAMP

DUCKWING

WELL FELLAS ,

DUCKWING

I'll correct you mate. Most pheasant keepers arent (IMO)that hot with terriers unless they also do it for recrreational purposes.

Grouse keepers on the other hand could more than likely show some of the keyboard warriors on here a thing or two about terrierwork.

Been out saturday and sunday with some grouse keepers and dug 5 sooked vixens and cubs on the edge of the hill. Accounted for three dog foxes at night as well.

The decent grouse boys take no prisoners and know their stuff.

Some should take a step back and look at themselves before brandishing bold statements about 'keepers know feck all about digging'.

There will be far many more happy-go-lucky diggers from the town who havent a feckin scooby.

FTB

• Like 1

WELL FELLAS ,

DUCKWING

I'll correct you mate. Most pheasant keepers arent (IMO)that hot with terriers unless they also do it for recrreational purposes.

Grouse keepers on the other hand could more than likely show some of the keyboard warriors on here a thing or two about terrierwork.

Been out saturday and sunday with some grouse keepers and dug 5 sooked vixens and cubs on the edge of the hill. Accounted for three dog foxes at night as well.

Some should take a step back and look at themselves before brandishing bold statements about 'keepers know feck all about digging'.

There will be far many more happy-go-lucky diggers from the town who havent a feckin scooby.

FTB

whole heartedly agree with FTB

WELL FELLAS ,

DUCKWING

FTB

WELL FTB ,

I AGREE UP TO A POINT ........ EVERY UPLAND KEEPER IVE MET HAS BEEN A DEDICATED VERMIN KILLER ................

HOWEVER TO CALL THEM GOOD TERRIERMEN WOULD BE PUSHING THE TRUTH SOMEWHAT ! .........

OUT OF THE 37 UPLAND KEEPERS AND BEAT KEEPERS IVE KNOWN PERSONALLY RANGING FROM SCOTLAND TO THE NORTH YORK MOORS ........ ONLY THREE ARE WHAT I WOULD TERM

TERRIERMEN .. ONE OF THOSE PASSED AWAY ...... LEAVEING 2 FROM 36 ...... YOU DO THE FECKIN MATH !!!

ADD ON TO THAT THE LOWLAND KEEPERS I KNOW AND YOU HAVE A LOT OF MEN THAT I WOULDNT CONSIDER TERRIERMEN ........ MAYBE SOME PEOPLE THINK THAT BECAUSE THEY GET A FEW FOXES WITH A TERRIER THEY ARE THE REAL DEAL .......... NOT IN MY EYES ..........

IMO ... MOST UPLAND KEEPERS BECOME TERRIERMEN WHEN THE VIXENS CUBBING ......... VERY FEW DO MUCH ANY OTHER TIME EXCEPT WHEN THE SNOWS DOWN ....... THESE TYPES ARE TERRIERMEN ? ....... NO WAY ... :no:

A TERRIERMAN IS OUT TESTING HIS DOGS REGULARY ................

RECENTLY I BRED A LITTER OF DIGGING DOGS ............ QUITE A FEW TERRIERMEN AND KEEPERS ASKED FOR THEIR NAME TO BE PUT ON A LIST .............. WELL ONLY ONE WAS GIVEN TO A LOWLAND KEEPER WHO DIGS WITH CLOSE FRIENDS OF MINE AND THEY HAD TO SWEAR ON A BIBLE THAT HES A TERRIERMEN !

AND ... I AGREE ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF LADS RUNNING AROUND TODAY OUT OF THE TOWNS THAT HAVENT AS YOU PUT IT ...... GOT A SCOOBY

HOWEVER .................. IT JUST HAPPENS THAT 90 % OF THE TOP CLASSS TERRIER MEN I KNOW WERE BORN AND RAISED IN

TOWNS ........ :yes:

DUCKWING

"A TERRIERMAN IS OUT TESTING HIS DOGS REGULARY ................"

Again it depends what you are doing with your dogs.

Some keeper boys get bags of foxes a year with their terriers, not to test them or to prove theirselves but to achieve a goal in reducing fox population. Would you call them less of a terrierman because they dont strive for deep digs, testing quarry, continuous gameness in dogs etc etc.

I think you have a good point about some keepers not being ideal 'terrierman' but they are using dogs for the purpose they were bred for and they are doing it for a legitimate reason...so for anyone to say they should take a back seat and let the happy-go-luckys in doesnt hold any water.

Then again there are some keepers who only get half a dozen foxes a year with terriers, so it is a matter of the individual and the area - it cannot be generalised.

Just because someone uses a different method to you doesnt mean they are wrong (unless their doubling up which is :icon_eek: ).

Most keepers will also have lads to help them out with this type of work.

FTB

"IMO ... MOST UPLAND KEEPERS BECOME TERRIERMEN WHEN THE VIXENS CUBBING ......... VERY FEW DO MUCH ANY OTHER TIME EXCEPT WHEN THE SNOWS DOWN ....... THESE TYPES ARE TERRIERMEN ? ....... NO WAY ..."

Ther is a very good reason for that, because it is the most effective way of catching up with the foxes and reducing the problem before it arises when you have a million and one other things to be doing.

Just because you look at it from a sporting angle doesnt mean the lads doing it to preserve their livelyhood should be frowned upon.

In some areas foxes wont be undergroung unless they are cubbing or in snow.

99% of upland keepers will do one form or another of winter terrier work where neccasary.

Pheasant keepers are usually well occupied at this time of year, and foxes arent as big an issue when birds are out the pens and being shot.

FTB

i wasnt aving a go at all game keepers especially estate, thay are professional men. the one i wos mentioning is the sort who put a few birds down on a small strip of land, but like to think of themselfs as pro and have the rites to do what ever thay like. i have great respect 4 the professional keepers as thats were i do my terrier work. think ive raised a few eyebrows. i apolagize to the pro men but not to the wannabys,thay should leave pest controle to those who no [bANNED TEXT] ther doing.thanks for the response lads.

the vast majority of keepers. take the majority of foxes with rifle and gun. upland and lowland. very few are keen terriermen. on a rare occasion you get a terrierman that takes to keepering. this sort generally get plenty of work for there own and sometimes there freinds terriers :thumbs:

the best terriers ive seen are town bred :thumbs:

the vast majority of keepers. take the majority of foxes with rifle and gun. upland and lowland. very few are keen terriermen. on a rare occasion you get a terrierman that takes to keepering. this sort generally get plenty of work for there own and sometimes there freinds terriers :thumbs:

the best terriers ive seen are town bred :thumbs:

Agreed.

FTB