sick hobs

hello. i have a two year old hob. and two jills. both the jills are in season and will be ready for mating next week. one jill normaly lives with the hob but i noticed about a week ago that the hob was not eating and there was sick in the sleeping area. since i have seperated the two the hob still is not eating and is still lying around being sick. has this got anything to do with jills in season or not? opinions please.

vets fees vary from region to region, ferrets are hardy animals but they can go downhill very quickly. it may be something simple but to be off food and vomiting for a week cant be good. id take him rather than risk playing the waiting game, if youve never took a ferret to the vets before then youve been lucky.hope things work out,atb

never had to take a ferret to the vets. how much does a trip to vets cost

Don't think money matters, the Animal welfare act and all.

However, a vet will charge around £20 to look at the ferret and then charge for med's on top. I have never had a vet charge more than £30 for a simple problem.

Ferrets on the whole are healthy animals, has the ferret and abnormal lumps along it's stomach? You need to have a good feel. Sounds like it could be one of a few things, a fur ball could very well be one of them.

What do the ferrets dropping look like? Does the ferret vomit after eating?

Ferrets are funny old creatures and don't really show any signs of pain, not until death is just around the corner. If your ferret has a hairball, then it will NOT go away and even a day could mean the difference between the ferret surviving and not. Ferrets should never ever not eat or drink for longer than 24 hours, generally if your ferret has stopped then you need to go to the vet.

John

never had to take a ferret to the vets. how much does a trip to vets cost

Don't think money matters, the Animal welfare act and all.

However, a vet will charge around £20 to look at the ferret and then charge for med's on top. I have never had a vet charge more than £30 for a simple problem.

Ferrets on the whole are healthy animals, has the ferret and abnormal lumps along it's stomach? You need to have a good feel. Sounds like it could be one of a few things, a fur ball could very well be one of them.

What do the ferrets dropping look like? Does the ferret vomit after eating?

Ferrets are funny old creatures and don't really show any signs of pain, not until death is just around the corner. If your ferret has a hairball, then it will NOT go away and even a day could mean the difference between the ferret surviving and not. Ferrets should never ever not eat or drink for longer than 24 hours, generally if your ferret has stopped then you need to go to the vet.

John

KEEP FERRETS MYSELF WOULDNT HESITATE A TRIP TO VET GET CRACKING SPORT FROM DECENT MONKEYS GOOD ADVICE JON REGARDS DABBER

Does it matter how much??????????????

No offence but this question is a regular and the answer is always the same VETS

You sitting down, Mushroom?

TOTALLY AGREE.

A vets the only option for sick ferrets how many times has a question been posted on here about sick ferrets and Ive asked for the veterinarian qualifications of the folks answering the thread and nobodies replied ,So i take it no body has any qualifications so they wont be messing about with my lifestock

hello. had the hob down to vets first thing this morning he was kept in for blood tests and a punctured bowel was found. the vets give me some antibiotics and the ferret seems to be picking up already. hope i dont loose this boy as he is great little ferret

hello. had the hob down to vets first thing this morning he was kept in for blood tests and a punctured bowel was found. the vets give me some antibiotics and the ferret seems to be picking up already. hope i dont loose this boy as he is great little ferret

forgive my ignorance, but surely to find a punctured bowel, they would need to open him up, then send home same day with antibiotics :hmm:

forgive my ignorance, but surely to find a punctured bowel, they would need to open him up, then send home same day with antibiotics :hmm:

they did xray on the ferret after they found his bloods fine. the vets sed alls he could see was a cloud which means the fluids are leeking out his bowel and floating around. he isnt out of the woods yet as he has to go for antibiotic jab at vets everyday for next week. then if he is no better they are going to put him down. but fingers crossed he is looking better evrytime i check him. eating more now without being sick. he only weight 500g at vets yesterday but hopefully he is gaining weight now.