a life is a life all should be treated with the same respect

ok, had a debate with a friend recently about how people view the different quarry that we shoot.

As far as I am concerned a life is a life whether it is a rabbit, fox, deer or whatever.....however some people view deer as totally different to other "pest" species...why is this?

If you’re going to shoot something surely it doesn’t matter what it is or if it’s young or old? male or female?

..........or does it?

:icon_eek:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the way I see it is that you should extend the same care and aim to dispatch all quarry in the quickest manner possible, doesn't matter if it's a rat, rabbit, duck or deer, respect for quarry goes the

A life is a life, true. But when it comes to management or pest control the rules regarding male/female, old or young come in to it quite a bit.

True, however many do seem to put deer up on a pedastal. Yes they are a beautifull quarry but that doesnt mean other quarry species should be treated any less respectfully.

Also depend on situation. Why shhot anything if no harm done ! Maybe deer , more majestic, in some area & bloody pest in other :thumbs: My frined shoot all fox, he hate fox, but i say leave, why kill..it no do no harm 'here', it make my job easier, fox collect rabbit. Rabbit bloody pest !! Big pest. :angry:

ok, had a debate with a friend recently about how people view the different quarry that we shoot.

As far as I am concerned a life is a life whether it is a rabbit, fox, deer or whatever.....however some people view deer as totally different to other "pest" species...why is this?

If you're going to shoot something surely it doesn't matter what it is or if it's young or old? male or female?

..........or does it?

:icon_eek:

Couldn't agree more. :notworthy:

Edited by maltenby

I am really pleased to see that people agree that there is no difference.

I suppose that when you are stalking deer, that meat is potentially going to either earn you a lump of cash or put meat in the freezer, due to it being such a large animal people will always be a bit more respectful as you can't really put them in the "pest" bracket along with foxes as they are very "majestic" looking.

if my memory serves me right Deker shot a fawn not so long ago and it caused uproar on here!!! Why?

I personally wouldn't shoot fawns but only because I don’t have a high level of deer that need controlling...if I did have that many then I would shoot them! I bet those same people who were banging on about it shoot baby rabbits? fox cubs? I would bet my left testicle they would! haha

if my memory serves me right Deker shot a fawn not so long ago and it caused uproar on here!!! Why?

Same reason as why one shooting site split into two not so long ago. People like to judge others according to their own standards and, usually, without knowing the facts.

Judge not least someone shell your glasshouse with stones... Or something along those lines...

the way I see it is that you should extend the same care and aim to dispatch all quarry in the quickest manner possible, doesn't matter if it's a rat, rabbit, duck or deer, respect for quarry goes the same way as well, for example laying or putting down shot birds instead of lobbing them at the hide or game cart or throwing foxes or whatever into the hedge, I may be one of the few here, but I think respect for quarry is one of the most important things you can have and should be taught from day one.

the same way that deer have seasons to avoid leaving orphaned young, I try and not shoot obviously milky or scruffy looking rabbits at this time of year as they will likley as not have young.... I guess this is where the difficulties lie for sheep farmers and lambs.

DB

Edited by danebrewer10
  • Like 1

My Penny's worth,

A Life for some animal's is not alot of time, and should it be a Deer, Fox, Rabbit's they should all be treated with the same respect because they're like us and do feel pain when inflicted by us, i control Foxes on my local estate but also have ground where i am not allowed to shoot them as they help deal with Rabbit's and Vole problem's, i had an old uncle once said to me the Fox is just the same as us every where he go's he get's chased or hunted, if he is not causing any damage dont shoot him just because it's a "Fox", when i was a lad i got chased and hunted a few times with the local farmer's and told to fcensored.giff so now i do think about what i shoot and why, because i am ending that life

Your's Wullie.

Edited by black lab

It's not that long ago that deer had slipped from being "animals of the chase" in medievel times, the quarry of the elite, to vermin/pest status. It may have been two world wars in close succession and food shortages, i do not know. But the BDS was formed with the stated aims of improving deer welfare and management practices, introducing "hunting" ideals from the continent. I presume this was something to do with officers returning from being stationed in Germany and other european nations, where deer are held in higher esteem, in the peiod just after the first and second world wars.

I cannot understand people being outraged by the killing of a fawn, as long as it was done humanely and for good management purposes. The law does state that you can shoot kids/fawns "if they are about to be, or have been, deprived of their mother". Perhaps these outraged people do not eat veal,lamb, young rabbits or leverets.

It is an interesting question! I shoot differently if asked to protect crops than I do if it is for sport (meaning in my case, the pot). I am asked to crow shoot, which i do. I do not eat them. I am asked to shoot foxes. I do not eat them either, but I am happy to shoot them. I cannot say I have an exact rule on any of this, just personal feelings on what I will do, and won't. I will shoot dogs worrying sheep and not lose sleep, but i love my dog. But i don't really like shooting heavily pregnant does, pigeons with squabs in the nest, but will do it for management purposes if deemed necessary.

I was asked on one trout beat on one of the more famous chalk streams to go and kill all the grayling i could catch. I killed 22 and could not kill the 23rd, and have never killed another. In fact I would rather fish for wild grayling than stocked trout. Perhaps it is a question we should all ask ourselves more often. Good question indeed :notworthy:

ft

I think a lot of the arguments stem from people looking at it from the wrong perspective, pest species no matter what animal, are only a pest because they live in close proximity to man, you'll always get a difference of opinion between those of us that control pests as our job, and those that still belive its "sport"

we always see arguments on controlling rabbits via ferreting in the summer, as some deem it un sporting, or sodding up next winters ferreting, alot of people see these pests as "their own" rather than a problem to a farmer/landowner etc

any pest species that I get called upon to control, all get the same humaine dispatch, but male/female/young/old does not come into it,

It's not that long ago that deer had slipped from being "animals of the chase" in medievel times, the quarry of the elite, to vermin/pest status. It may have been two world wars in close succession and food shortages, i do not know. But the BDS was formed with the stated aims of improving deer welfare and management practices, introducing "hunting" ideals from the continent. I presume this was something to do with officers returning from being stationed in Germany and other european nations, where deer are held in higher esteem, in the peiod just after the first and second world wars.

I cannot understand people being outraged by the killing of a fawn, as long as it was done humanely and for good management purposes. The law does state that you can shoot kids/fawns "if they are about to be, or have been, deprived of their mother". Perhaps these outraged people do not eat veal,lamb, young rabbits or leverets.

It is an interesting question! I shoot differently if asked to protect crops than I do if it is for sport (meaning in my case, the pot). I am asked to crow shoot, which i do. I do not eat them. I am asked to shoot foxes. I do not eat them either, but I am happy to shoot them. I cannot say I have an exact rule on any of this, just personal feelings on what I will do, and won't. I will shoot dogs worrying sheep and not lose sleep, but i love my dog. But i don't really like shooting heavily pregnant does, pigeons with squabs in the nest, but will do it for management purposes if deemed necessary.

I was asked on one trout beat on one of the more famous chalk streams to go and kill all the grayling i could catch. I killed 22 and could not kill the 23rd, and have never killed another. In fact I would rather fish for wild grayling than stocked trout. Perhaps it is a question we should all ask ourselves more often. Good question indeed :notworthy:

ft

Well i have to say that this is exactly how i feel! it truly is down to the situation. I haven’t ever shot a dog and i don’t think i could bring my self to do it! i have 3 dogs and i would like to think that unless the dog in question was rabid or totally unapproachable my a dog warden there would be no need for me ever to do it. I know people who have shot people lurchers who are poaching there deer...i would not fancy shooting any one dog...let alone if the owner was near by...asking for a severe kicking regardless of whether they are poaching or not!

I have recently been asked to take on some ground in North Devon...fecking long way for me but the land owner recently came across 3 guys out at night with 2 lurchers and a doberman,...allegedly after foxes and claiming they had permission from the previous owner... who hasn’t lived there for over 5 years! He found some deer legs recently and also found a head shot red hind, so the situation is dire! :icon_eek:

He asked me what he should do and if he should call the police etc I discouraged him from doing so as although the poachers are in the wrong, it’s not the dogs that deserve to be put down they are just doing what the handler asks of them. :thumbs:

some really good replys here lads. :clapper:

im nto to sure about not shooting milky / scruffy rabbits at 75 yards it is virtually impossible to tell :thumbs:!

aye that it is, but I try... :thumbs:

having said that I have just gotten in from shooting around lambing ewes and shot a fox with my HMR in the near dark, but was gutted to see it was a vixen :( , I can only hope that death finds the cubs quickly..... I shouldn't think they're too far advanced at this stage.....

It's not nice and I wouldn't deliberately do it, but I have been asked to shoot charlie so that is what I do personally I do feel guilty about it, but I console myself with the fact that, a) the fox could just have easily been run over by a car (this permission is right next to a busy main road), and b)the cubs are unlikely to survive long without feeding, plus that is potentially one, two three lambs that won't be taken.... I might have to re-think my strategy....

well I had a think in the shower- I guess the best method is to shoot one to show that you can do the job asked of you, then pass up other opportunities until late june, july time when the cubs are above ground (i'll have to look in to this one), then you can nobble them quite easily and the rest of the family in the long warm afternoons- picking the cubs out before taking the parents... good idea? :hmm:

Edited by danebrewer10

Kind of gets on my tits when people put up pics of milky vixens looking for a pat on the back.

Wtf is that all about, you wouldnt do that with a deer so why anything else.

At the end of the day, its each to their own and i would never say i think they were in the wrong for doing so, just i wouldnt do it myself.

I am after a lamb killer at the moment, and lamping with rifle will be the last option - to avoid shooting the vixen and leaving cubs which could be up to a month old by now.

I know sometimes needs must, but i am a bit traditional when it comes to summer hunting - it is a time for rest and time to breed.

I would like to think i treat all my quarry with respect, as we all should strive to, one species is no more important than another to me...if my freezer needs filling.

Each to their own.

FTB