Rat Cage Trap Decoy Dilemma.

Hi

Have been sifting through the forums - but cant seem to find the info im looking for.

I have a rat problem in the back yard , where i keep chickens and also kennel the dogs.

I have had a cage trap near a run for about two weeks now baited with dog buiscuits and peanut butter.

Success at last - yesterday i caught a fully grown rat.

Do i keep the rat in the trap for a few days? [thought it might act as a decoy?] although i fully understand there are implications regarding the wellbeing of the poor little rat[who has been hammering my chicken food for the past six weeks]

Or , Dispose of the rat and reset in the same place and hope for another?

Any info is good

:thumbs:

Humanely dispatch it as quickly as possible as it is an offence to cause unnecessary suffering to ANY animal and it is only right to stay within the remit of the law at all times. Even if you provided food, water and shelter i doubt it would comply with the law, (as the mere fact that containment could be deemed as causing suffering) Is it a multi-catch (monarch) type trap......as there would be little point in leaving a rat in a single catch type cage trap?

Regards

Rolfe.

Cheers guys , I am using a multi catch trap - this is what prompted me to think about leaving it alone for a few days, otherwise why would you need a trap that catches more than one? Do people get big catches in these traps in a short period?

Anyways - the rat is dead as a dodo , have rebaited with some peanut butter and hoping for the best!

Thanks Again

Cheers guys , I am using a multi catch trap - this is what prompted me to think about leaving it alone for a few days, otherwise why would you need a trap that catches more than one? Do people get big catches in these traps in a short period?

Anyways - the rat is dead as a dodo , have rebaited with some peanut butter and hoping for the best!

Thanks Again

Leave the dead rat in the trap, nowt works as well as a dead rat. biggrin.gif

Liquidized cat food is a good bait for attracting rats. Don't tell the Mrs that you have used her food processor !!!biggrin.gif

liquidised cat food is a top bait especially when you add the oil from a tin of tuna before blending.

Thanks Again

Leave the dead rat in the trap, nowt works as well as a dead rat. biggrin.gif

:clapper: :clapper:

:laugh: :laugh:

well im just about pulling my hair out here, been trying to catch a rat or 2 for the pup and in 8 wk ive caught 1.... :doh: oh yes not to mention 2 robins 1 dunnock and a blackbird :doh:

ive used nuttela, peanut butter, blended cat food....

ive experimented with where there placed.... close to buildings,runs,grain sillows,hatching pens,walls

the place is over run with em been a commercial pheasant shoot....

anyone got a spare working chainsaw going cheap cos this is doing my head in know!!!

any tips folks....

well im just about pulling my hair out here, been trying to catch a rat or 2 for the pup and in 8 wk ive caught 1.... :doh: oh yes not to mention 2 robins 1 dunnock and a blackbird :doh:

ive experimented with where there placed.... close to buildings,runs,grain sillows,hatching pens,walls

anyone got a spare working chainsaw going cheap cos this is doing my head in know!!!

any tips folks....

i have been told a rat wont go into a caged trap if there is other food around. e.g. it wont go in if the trap is in a small shed that has a bag of corn in the corner) cos it wil just eat the corn instead. im no expert tho, its just what i have been told. hope this helps. :thumbs:

any tips folks....

Trying to catch a rat or two for a pup? :hmm:

That would be illegal and very silly. :wallbash:

any tips folks....

Trying to catch a rat or two for a pup? :hmm:

That would be illegal and very silly. :wallbash:

what you meant to put was your wanting to bolt some for the pup using a chainsaw i hope