help on breeding

ok i have 2 black eyed silver ferrets 1 hob 1 gill both are bout 1 year old they are not realated they are both kept in the same hutch and have done for about 5 months now, ive noticed the gill is bald on the back of her neck the hob has always pulled her round by her scruff just pl;aying with her when do they come on heat an when do i seperate them or dont i have to any advise anyone please

ok i have 2 black eyed silver ferrets 1 hob 1 gill both are bout 1 year old they are not realated they are both kept in the same hutch and have done for about 5 months now, ive noticed the gill is bald on the back of her neck the hob has always pulled her round by her scruff just pl;aying with her when do they come on heat an when do i seperate them or dont i have to any advise anyone please

Think you might be a bit late on When do they come into heat, they are not playing they are breeding, id say separate them now your jill is prob swollen at the back end, and then in 42 days from when this started you will have kits but you will prob find that most will die as it is a bad idea to breed silver to silver due to genetic defaults.

no thats the thing ive been looking an she hasnt been swallen since i had her i i just been speaking to my misses an she said that the gill is about 8 months old do you think that she might not have come into season yet because of her age.

also i was shocked to here that breading 2 silvers could cause the young to die ,what sort of colours would you expect to see out of 2 silvers

no thats the thing ive been looking an she hasnt been swallen since i had her i i just been speaking to my misses an she said that the gill is about 8 months old do you think that she might not have come into season yet because of her age.

also i was shocked to here that breading 2 silvers could cause the young to die ,what sort of colours would you expect to see out of 2 silvers

Then if it is only the hob that is in season then remove him.

as for colours, taken nothing for gospal and trying it myself i found that you get a mixed batch. this was in my younger days,

litter of 7 with only 2 managing to live and one was a polecat coloured the other was a dark silver, but the dark silver turned out to be totaly deaf.

and until this breeding i had never lost any kits out of my breeding.

and any brreing that i have done since has only seenthe odd one die ie the runt of the litter.

Silvers used to be bred as they were uncommon and you would get folk paying up to £50 for one up here in scotland but now there is more of them i doubt you get anymore than £20 for them if they lived.

thanks alot everyone for your help, i will seperate them asap i only work the gill as she is so small she never kills in , i got the hob just for company for her . if its best to keep them seperated i might get rid of the hob as i got no use for him hes like a baby my little girl comes up the stabble now an again she cuddles him like a babey hes bomb proof, could i buy a little gill an put her in with mine straight away as my hutch is huge and wouldnt whant my gill to be on her own,

also is it true that a gill has to be mated every year or it can die cause the trooth is i have no reason to breed her i dont want to keep a kit an really it will just be hassel for me to breed her

Agree with everyone else....seperate ASAP and try to avoid this breeding in the future! The Americans have f****d up their ferrets through breeding silvers and fancy colours. We ough to learn from their mistakes and not go down the same road!

As a US breeder, I couldn't agree more. I breed only sables (polecat color) from a background of only sables to avoid the genetic defects and reproduction problems which have resulted from breeding silvers and other fancy colors. I am interested in importing a hob and a jill from the UK (dark coloration with a fully pigmented black nose) to continue my breeding program, as I am unable to find any quality breeding stock in the US which does not have a heavy background of fancy colors.

so if i get rid of the hob . wait untill she shows singn of swelling an then take her to my local vet for a jab is it mate . an also would it be ok if i was to buy another young gill and put it in with the 1 i already have do you think id have any problems? thanks in advace gye

so if i get rid of the hob . wait untill she shows singn of swelling an then take her to my local vet for a jab is it mate . an also would it be ok if i was to buy another young gill and put it in with the 1 i already have do you think id have any problems? thanks in advace gye

why not just keep what you have and get him castrated, then he can stay in all year round, getting another jill will mean you have 2 jills coming into season each year, meaning you'll need a snipped hob or jill jabs

although some on here will say its rubbish, but sometimes a castrated male is better than a snipped hob, my court holds three jills and four castrated hobs, even though they have no balls, and therefore shouldent get the urge to "mate" they do still go through the motions, thus taking the jills out of heat, none will have the jill jab this year, or go with snipped hobs