Are cities and towns breeding grounds for vermin

I think it's probably a fact that cities and towns are full of vermin species such as pigeon, magpie, squirels, foxes etc. When I go to the local parks I am allways amazed at how prevalent they are and how rare it is to see song birds and other animals.

My question is are towns responsible for an increase in numbers of vermin in the countryside? Do they breed in cities and move to the country or are they likely to stay where they are?

Edited to say the reason I wanted to know is whether the fact that towns don't control these number affects country issues?

Edited by Nik_B

Got to agree mate,our towns and cities are full of vermin,i dont think this vermin makes a big impact on the open countryside though,ive noticed loads of vermin in my town,and some of it is exotic vermin,this exotic vermin is having a very destructive effect on our native species,but we all know if theres free food about we'll never get rid,should be a big cull imo.

• Like 1

Sheffield has got 10,000 of a paticular nasty species of homo sapians that are exspanding into other areas due to their high birth rate and it wont be long before they migrate into the nearby peak districts.Green belt is comeing under threat due to the spread of this vermin.

its no different from people,

more "free stuff" in towns, means more people, but to answer your question, Id say towns do more "paid" pest control than country areas, most buisnesses have to have pest control on there books, so the mice and rats are taken care off, other pest species though feral pigeons etc, controlled by london underground and a few of the larger companies, magpies and squirrels probably get off quite lightly

more "free stuff" in towns, means more people, but to answer your question, Id say towns do more "paid" pest control than country areas, most buisnesses have to have pest control on there books, so the mice and rats are taken care off, other pest species though feral pigeons etc, controlled by london underground and a few of the larger companies, magpies and squirrels probably get off quite lightly

Cheers mate that was an informative post!

As Steve was saying do you think they don't contribute to the same vermin found in the country? What got me thinking was after all the shooting of pigeon and corvids do birds from the towns replace them or do they stay put where they are? I suppose it would make sense that they would stay where the food is. If thats the case it's interesting that there are seperate populations that don't change their feeding and breeding grounds.

Cheers mate that was an informative post!

As Steve was saying do you think they don't contribute to the same vermin found in the country? What got me thinking was after all the shooting of pigeon and corvids do birds from the towns replace them or do they stay put where they are? I suppose it would make sense that they would stay where the food is. If thats the case it's interesting that there are seperate populations that don't change their feeding and breeding grounds.

I think its more your urban areas that are the breeding ground for magpies and carrion crows plus foxes that then through terrotories move into the countryside as 4 doors down from me is a large sycamore tree with a magpie and a crows nest in it [bANNED TEXT] we were lads they would have been plunderd for their eggs imho i believe its one of the reasons for the decline in urban areas of the songbirds.

Honey buggers release urban foxes in rural areas, where they raid chicken runs and game poults and take lambs because they have never learned to hunt. Feral pigeons carry 22 diseases which can be transmitted to man, that's twice as many as rats carry. Urban corvids move out to farms in the sowing season.

The ugliest urban pest that menaces the countryside is of course the anti.

Ric

Edited by RicW

Sheffield has got 10,000 of a paticular nasty species of homo sapians that are exspanding into other areas due to their high birth rate and it wont be long before they migrate into the nearby peak districts.Green belt is comeing under threat due to the spread of this vermin.

no what u mean mate...........them black rats.hang around in packs of 20 to 30.come here on banana boats. :wallbash: