Terrier prices

Hi all.......... I currently own two JRT which i use for bushing when rabbiting, i think they cost me about £150 each. In a few years to come i may be looking to add another to my team. I was thinking along the lines of a plummer terrier...like i say just for hunting rabbits. I don't want a terrier thats rock hard and going to ground at every opportunity.I have had a brief look on the net and all the sites seem to keep stuck about their prices, so i was wondering whats the going price at the moment for a plummer bitch? And what height do they generally level to because some i have seen look quite leggy?

Thanks, wuyang

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your'll be lucky to find a bitch pup for sale as most breeders will be booked up for a while,you could put your name down for one with the ever growing number of plummer breeders but your'll be fecking lucky to get a pick of a litter.As for price there to much money these days and folks ask from £250-450 :thumbdown: for any sort of plummer pup,bitch or dog.Why not put a plummer dog over one of your jrt's and bring the pup up alongside the others doing what you want it to do?,also as for size i've seen all shapes and sizes from all the main kennels so as plummer owners say "still in the progresion stage for a standard" :thumbs: .

FIREMAN YOU SAY PROGRESSION STAGE? SO THE PLUMMER TERRIER IS STILL EVOLVING? STILL CHANGING? BUT IT SEEMS TO BE ALL££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ WITH THESE DOGS, MY OPINION WUYANG IS LEAVE WELL ALONE WHEN IT'S THOSE DOGS AND GET YASLEF ANOTHER JRT OR SIMILAR TYPE TERRIER THAT HAS NO INTEREST IN GOING TO GROUND. THERE'S EVEN PLENTY OF BLACK DOGS OUT THERE THAT HAVE NO INTEREST IN GROUND WORK. MIGHT BE EASY TO PICK UP A SPEWER FOR FREE NOW THE SEASON IS OVER. :thumbs:

Hepher a 30 odd year old "breed" is still imo in the progrssion stage and i was also fishing a little for a bite :whistling::laugh:,your right about ££££££ though as not many who breed a litter will sell them for a realistic price,a few do but not very many i've ever heard of.As a bushing,ratting,mooching dog i do think a good plummer is hard to beat but new owners can get sucked into the political plummerfile b*ll*cks that surrounds the dogs.

In comparison the plummers i've seen have had better noses than the russells i've seen and do tend to pack better when out bushing/mooching.I own both sorts plummers and russells and thats how i've found it with my dogs as well,those plummers do on the whole have a sharp old nose on them :yes: .

Most terrier prices to the general public are ridiculous!! I've seen JRT's for 300 quid + at times! A long legged JRT would be better for bushing than a short leg surely? My JRT mix dog comes from a plummer bitch and long leg russell dog, a fantastic nose and great stamina, works a beating line all day long, will bush for hours it's a good cross :yes:

Your'll be lucky to find a bitch pup for sale as most breeders will be booked up for a while,you could put your name down for one with the ever growing number of plummer breeders but your'll be fecking lucky to get a pick of a litter.As for price there to much money these days and folks ask from £250-450 :thumbdown: for any sort of plummer pup,bitch or dog.Why not put a plummer dog over one of your jrt's and bring the pup up alongside the others doing what you want it to do?,also as for size i've seen all shapes and sizes from all the main kennels so as plummer owners say "still in the progresion stage for a standard" :thumbs: .

:thumbs:

In comparison the plummers i've seen have had better noses than the russells i've seen and do tend to pack better when out bushing/mooching.

So what you are saying is that Plummers would pick up the scent of Charlie better whereas a Russell would pass it by, and that Plummers are also better pack dogs.

What a load of crap.

Around five years ago I used to regularly go out hunting with Jack Russell Terriers in a pack down south on reclaimed land by the sea, where there was no earthwork to be had. The most we ever used was 15 dogs but more often than not took around 12.

We used to use them for bushing, enter them into the concrete drainage tunnels and through the reeds and rushes looking for Charlie. The dogs came from three different kennels and they all worked superbly well and we never had a problem with any of them.

Black Buck One

Edited by BlackBuckOne

What i said mate is out of the ones i've seen bushing/mooching or ratting then the plummers have scented the quarry better than the russells and the plummers have seemed to pack together better.If thats a load of crap then please let us swop eyes as mine seem to lie to me :doh: .

Most terrier prices to the general public are ridiculous!! I've seen JRT's for 300 quid + at times! A long legged JRT would be better for bushing than a short leg surely? My JRT mix dog comes from a plummer bitch and long leg russell dog, a fantastic nose and great stamina, works a beating line all day long, will bush for hours it's a good cross :yes:

Just out of curiosity, why long legged better than short legged for bushing thick brambles etc? I have always had the shorter legged variety because i thought they would be more suited through the rabbit runs. If longer legged ones are better suited i would definitely consider one.

FIREMAN YOU SAY PROGRESSION STAGE? SO THE PLUMMER TERRIER IS STILL EVOLVING? STILL CHANGING? BUT IT SEEMS TO BE ALL££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ WITH THESE DOGS, MY OPINION WUYANG IS LEAVE WELL ALONE WHEN IT'S THOSE DOGS AND GET YASLEF ANOTHER JRT OR SIMILAR TYPE TERRIER THAT HAS NO INTEREST IN GOING TO GROUND. THERE'S EVEN PLENTY OF BLACK DOGS OUT THERE THAT HAVE NO INTEREST IN GROUND WORK. MIGHT BE EASY TO PICK UP A SPEWER FOR FREE NOW THE SEASON IS OVER. :thumbs:

i know of a good strong white lakie russell. cracking dog in the cover excellent nose but won t go to ground. bloke i know wants 50 quid for him

i know of a good strong white lakie russell. cracking dog in the cover excellent nose but won t go to ground. bloke i know wants 50 quid for him

Be a couple of years yet, just doing some research....thanks though. :thumbs: